Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justsomemusicguy

Custom BossEye problem

I'm working on a custom BossEye in my WAD using DECORATE. I want it to work like the original, but spawn different actors.
When I wrote the code I thought 'This should do it.' When I tested it however, it didn't work. Well, it actually worked like the original BossEye, but not like the one I programmed.
Then I tested it on ZDoom 2.5.0 (the latest), and the custom BossEye actually worked exactly as I wanted!

So here's my question: what do I change in the DECORATE code to make it work in earlier versions of ZDoom as well?
I don't want to make people download the latest version in order to play my WAD...

Oh, and here's the DECORATE code for the custom BossEye:

ACTOR ZombieSpawner : BossEye 3229
{
	Attacksound "zombiespawner/attack"
	Seesound "zombiespawner/sight"
	DropItem "ZombieMan"
	DropItem "ShotgunGuy"
	DropItem "ChaingunGuy"
	DropItem "ZombieMarine"
	States
	{
		Spawn:
			SSWV A 10 A_Look
			Loop
		See:
			SSWV A 180
			SSWV A 150 A_BrainSpit
			Wait
	}
}
Thanks in advance!

justsomemusicguy said:

So here's my question: what do I change in the DECORATE code to make it work in earlier versions of ZDoom as well?
I don't want to make people download the latest version in order to play my WAD...

You do nothing. The feature doesn't exist in those older versions. If you want people to be able to play your WAD in those versions you have to skip this feature.

Of course that entire idea is flat out wrong. What's the problem with people asking to do a 1.5 MB download? Other mods do that all the time and the average user doesn't perceive this as a problem. I think most ZDoom users update on a regular basis anyway.

justsomemusicguy said:

You wait for A_TimeTravel to be added (it's planned for ZDoom 42.777.0). Then you use it to bring back the ZDoom 2.5.0 source code in 1997 and give it to Randy Heit so that the feature can be included right from the very first version.

HTH.

You wait for A_TimeTravel to be added

LOL

You do nothing. The feature doesn't exist in those older versions. If you want people to be able to play your WAD in those versions you have to skip this feature.

Of course that entire idea is flat out wrong. What's the problem with people asking to do a 1.5 MB download? Other mods do that all the time and the average user doesn't perceive this as a problem. I think most ZDoom users update on a regular basis anyway.

Yeah you're probably right. I guess it's not that big a deal.
I was just curious as to why the code for the spawner didn't work in my earlier version of ZDoom... There seemed to be nothing wrong with it...

justsomemusicguy said:

I was just curious as to why the code for the spawner didn't work in my earlier version of ZDoom... There seemed to be nothing wrong with it...

If I've read the changelog correctly it looks like BossEye spawn lists have only been supported since August 2009.