Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Megawads or episodes with new monsters?

I'd like to know of interesting megawads or single episodes featuring new monsters (possibly from realm667) and why not new weapons or items. I know of ZPack for now, but I'd like to know of more. I'm NOT looking for gameplay changers or bad attempts.

printz said:

I'm NOT looking for gameplay changers or bad attempts.

New weapons and monsters are pretty serious game play changes.

These are the ones I can think of off the bat.
Strain
Nimrod
Scythe 2
Chegosh 1 and 2
Demon eclipse
KDIZD
Awakening (only one level though)

The question seems a bit self-contradictory to me, unless you're looking for ones that change the sprites but not the behaviour.

Here's a list that I made some years ago of wads that use dehacked to make at least a moderate amount of changes (not just to text or rates of fire, monsters' health and other such minor stuff; note that I didn't classify it according to changes to monsters as opposed to other stuff, but most of these alter the monsters in some way):

aliens tc (various versions/filenames)
allhell
anubis
aotw
arctic (and other wolfendoom wads)
ars_sml (a virtual exhibition)
batman
biotech
bloody (silly, over-the-top, changes)
cyber110
d2flies
dakills
deus (ex machina)
doomball
egypt
hacx
hostage3
house1
hyena
mordeth
newbreed
osiris
real
sci2
smb (very weird indeed)
sr388b1 (variable quality maps; moderate amount of dehacked changes)
strain
thegate
tmall
wotdoom3
zombies

Grazza said:

The question seems a bit self-contradictory to me, unless you're looking for ones that change the sprites but not the behaviour.

I meant wads that keep the Doom look, while adding new monsters and stuff. Not redefine gameplay completely; rather keep the same old roster + new material. I'm especially interested in wads making good use of the realm667 bestiary monsters.

Lots of the mentioned wads above look like files I've heard about and should really have given a try till now but I haven't, btw.

Um, ZPack ain't bad.

Thunderpeak is fantastic. Er, well, it is part of ZPack, but if you just want to try this separately, you can.

And I have to mention Unloved. It's more like the lovechild of Silent Hill and Doom, but it's so delightfully creepy and challenging, and the music is so eerie, I can't help but recommend it. And it has some new monsters, too :).

Katamori said:

AEons of Death?

No.

EDIT: Your mileage may vary, but I liked Tormentor's Ultimate Torment & Torture.