Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

General Noncritical Bugs

Catoptromancy said:

Zok's map15 and map28 have been added. Do these maps fix up the things in Hawkwinds report?

Yes.

hawkwind said:

This relates to "doom2.wad" dated 18th Sept ...

map 21 ...

2. The upper of line 2186 is missing an upper texture. Suggest ROCKRED1 or lower the ceiling height of sector 227 to a height of168.

MAP21 doesnt have that line or sector. Or it DB cant find it.

I've noticed there's been a change in the soldier/sargeant/imp sounds between 0.6.2 and 0.7rc. It doesn't always work that well IMO. For instance, the soldier and sargeant still make grunty zombie-ish alert sounds but when you shoot or kill them they make man-ish sounds. There's a big difference between "grouuuuwh" and "OOH! UH! AAAAAAH!" and it doesn't sound consistent. If they're people then all the vocalizations should make them sound like they're people, not just some of them. So instead of a growl you should have a sound that normal people would make when they hear something. Otherwise just bring back the zombie sounds.

The man hit sounds also sound out of place on the imp. It's really weird to hear a spell-casting cobra-beast sound like a normal person when it's getting shot.

Blame id's rather unfortunately short-sighted design decision to hard-code several monster properties, including the fact that zombies, imps, and revenants all use the same pain sound. There's not much Freedoom can do about this, save for finding a sound that works for all monsters that use it, a far from trivial problem.

All critical problems are solved so the 0.7 final was released.
I am going to be busy with school and work so I may be much slower than usual. Anyone is free to take up the fixes and make a new list. I will still be working on my map24 and map31 remake.

Because sounds got mentioned:

The imp fireball sound is getting annoying,
1) a bit too loud
2) too long (persists after fireball has hit)
3) I may not know what a fireball is supposed to sound like, but that sound is like something else entirely. Even after this much time I do not identify it as the fireball sound, but look around for other missile shooters.
4) Would rather use it for the missile launcher than the fireball, but the launcher sound is already acceptable.

wesleyjohnson said:

2) too long (persists after fireball has hit)

I think, if anything, this is an engine bug; your engine is not handling sounds as Doom does.

Every sound in Doom has an origin mobj (or NULL, for level-wide sounds). If the origin mobj is removed, or if it plays a new sound, the sound it is already playing will be cut off. In particular if a projectile hits something while its launch sound is still being played, the launch sound is cut off to play the explosion sound.

This is why the silent BFG trick works. The player who is firing the BFG hits the ground and goes "oof" just after pressing the fire button, so the sound of the BFG being fired is cut off by the "oof".

I like the new grunt sounds for the zombies/imp. They fit really well and they don't draw attention to themselves. It's what you expect to hear. So thanks to whoever did them.

New MAP13 rev2.2 uploaded should address all issues in the Hawkwind report, as per this discussion.
Many other changes made will probably have introduced a whole new set of bugs.
Known bug: If you play coop and the team tries to go through the ductwork, you will likely telefrag your team members at the silent-transport.

wesleyjohnson said:

Many other changes made will probably have introduced a whole new set of bugs.

Here's a couple of trivial ones to start you off :)

• linedef 155 is a single-use blue-locked door that opens and then closes again. This is pretty annoying as you can only open it once from the outside. I suggest changing the special to 26 to match the other side.

• linedef 3396 probably needs to be something other than a plain D1 manual door, as the monsters can open that kind of door, and you end up not actually needing the blue skull key... (I think, unless there's somewhere else you need it that I forgot about) There's actually a few locked doors like that one, that the monsters can open from the other side, but that was the most noticable one.

Ultimate FreeDoom is not using the correct skies, it's using the regular FreeDoom skies. Doom 1-like skies are in the wad, but are not used. The texture definition should be changed to use the correct patches. (SKYx, _NOT_ RSKYx)

MAP13 doors. Those doors were a choice for gameplay.
The control room door can be a one-shot because there are two other ways into that room, and it keeps you from being ambushed from that direction. Can't have every working perfectly, it's too easy.

Yes you can get through blue-skull key door the first time if a monster is coming through, but if you do not have the yellow key, you will have to pass through it a second time. Having the monster be able to open it is unusual, but it lets the monsters attack the player at their will.

Actually many of the locked doors can be bypassed if you work at it enough, and that is deliberate by design. Also there are multiple copies of the keys about the place, like there would be in an actual company.

The player can decide how they want to play it.

Sodaholic: thanks for the reminder, the Doom1 skies turned out to be easier to fix than I thought they would be (patch sent to chungy)

WJ: Even if you say the single use door is intentional I think most people will see it as a bug or at least be annoyed by it. Oh well. Second opinions, anyone?

Looking through the wad, I noticed there are many redundant flats. Not sure how you guys compile the wads, but know that much space is being wasted. (multiple copies of the exact same flat with the exact same name)

Also, I have a question. When will the textures that ProjectDarkFox and I submitted be implemented?

MAP13 doors: I can try to think of something else more obvious, that accomplishes the same thing. I use that map for testing almost every week, and I end up at door repeatedly. Of course I know why it is stuck.
That is why I ask for feedback. Thank you.