Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Life Hacks

"hack" (specified within knownledge of a avrege teen ager who spend free time driving cars and drinking alcohol, not intrested at all in computers nor his/her friends ) to speed up slow school computers(even making them capable to use doombuilder ):

CTR+ALT+DELETE and shut down all crappy processes listed after user, if possible, shut down most shit listed in system (all exept the nessessary). for those compters who is strong enough to even get task manager, stick to those computers as much as possible (othervise nothing will work.. at all), beacuse those is also the computers who manage to use firefox(mostly). if ure gonna use computer, use the best.

any one comes up with this idea but for these special intrests.....

dont fail with setting up the idea

Maes said:

That used to be especially true in the past, especially with Macs, today much less so. The only components that usually are model- or brand-specific in Dells etc. is the motherboard format (some are so custom that don't even class as BTX, microBTX or whatever) and the PSU (again, some don't fit even in BTX or barebone/media center PC cases without some jury rigging, and a few might even have non-standard wiring/connectors). Ironically, the old G3/G4 Powermacs have a very good and pretty standard case/internal expansion potential, which exceeded that of many big name PCs, even today. And we're talking about a Mac.

On the other hand, I managed to buy a near-top-end rig for less than a grand when I bought my own components.

printz said:

Why not use a regular knife to cut cheese?... Why does it matter which knife you use at all? Cheese is soft.

Top Tips in Viz is a parody of tip pages that often appear in magazines mostly read by middle-aged housewives. The tips are purposefully ridiculous, pointless or unworkable.

ArmouredBlood said:

Found this on /tg/. Think gonna try the sleep reset one, maybe something else.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2nbzt02.jpg

First try finding a copy with legible text. That pic is a mess. When is the internet going to collectively realize jpeg is only for photos and not screenshots, diagrams, charts, signs, and books?

Nice! I like the free phone charger one. Didn't know that. I was already aware of some of the other hacks though.

Another way to get rid of congestion in your nose is to eat spicy foods. I have an extremely hot sauce that I use purely for that reason. Just a taste of that will thin out the mucus in your nose within minutes.

I also like opening a banana the right way. gotta give that a shot.

I remember reading about a quick way to take of your shirt too. I usually forget to do this, I guess it's something you have to get in the habit of, but if you pull your right arm in through the sleeve, then use your left hand grab the back of your shirt, you can pull the shirt completely right over your head.

Maes said:

That used to be especially true in the past, especially with Macs, today much less so. The only components that usually are model- or brand-specific in Dells etc. is the motherboard format (some are so custom that don't even class as BTX, microBTX or whatever) and the PSU (again, some don't fit even in BTX or barebone/media center PC cases without some jury rigging, and a few might even have non-standard wiring/connectors). Ironically, the old G3/G4 Powermacs have a very good and pretty standard case/internal expansion potential, which exceeded that of many big name PCs, even today. And we're talking about a Mac.

Some other parts that may be fucked up are the CPU cooler, some fans and air ducts, even the floppy drive and CD-ROM drive. What is "fucked up" is usually some unusual grooving or non-standard holes/screw position etc. that make it hard using COTS components but with the exception of the PSU, most internal components are pretty standard (at most you'll have to look for low-profile DIMMs and expansion cards).

Perhaps Dell has changed their modus operandi since I purchased my Dimension E310, but that particular model was a pain for me when it came to gaming, thus my previous comment by which I still stand. The thing was designed so that only one Radeon video card, which is now sorely outdated, would fit its motherboard and work properly. Furthermore, I could never upgrade to anything newer than Windows XP, also due to hardware compatibility issues. What? Oh, PC owners prefer to have choices? Nope... this is the OS and video card you must use and learn to live with it. Well, I got tired of that pretty quick, thus my choice to build one on my own. If my experience is an isolated case then I apologize to any big Dell fans or loyal employees, but I still say that building your own is the most financially sensible thing to do, especially for gaming. Otherwise, be prepared to pay twice or thrice as much for the pre-assembled equivalent.

Danarchy said:

No kidding. Jesus that thread is sad. Honey bees are dying off and no one give a fuck. Burn it with fire durp.

Tuna - The cheapest meat you can find, though not that high in protein. If you have isses with SAD, though you need to keep this stocked during the winter and eat it often. The vitamins in it keep your energy level up.

Tuna are top level predators. ie, they ARE NOT chicken of the sea, but lion of the sea. Continue to consume them if you wish to perpetuate the depletion of our oceans. Yeah I had to go there, but I don't eat any fish or seafood I haven't caught myself and I recommend others do the same.

Rice - A great base for anything. If you're horribly poor, you can just whip up some stir-fry and throw it on top of some rice, or toss some veggies and eggs into the rice and make fried rice. White rice is tastier but lacks any sort of nutrients. Brown rice is what you want if you need sustenance, though.

Best advice in the entire thread right here.

Aliotroph? said:

Does vinyl siding burn really fast? :D

Yes, It burns pretty hot and fast. It's just plastic.

Quast said:

Tuna are top level predators. ie, they ARE NOT chicken of the sea, but lion of the sea. Continue to consume them if you wish to perpetuate the depletion of our oceans. Yeah I had to go there, but I don't eat any fish or seafood I haven't caught myself and I recommend others do the same.

Also not a good idea if you're super paranoid about the mercury content.

Glass Rook said:

Bunch of Dell stuff

I have yet to see a Dell box that couldn't run something newer than XP. Sometimes the drivers are hard to get for laptops, but even when Dell builds their own parts they really just get them from other companies, allowing third-party drivers to work. I can't remember if I ever tried that with an E310.

Some old Dell PCs had floppy drives with odd housings. The eject button didn't stick out, meaning it didn't work with an ATX case without some tweaking. Maes is quite right about PSUs too. Dell likes to put the plug on the other side and omit the big switch. Often takes some digging and some pliers or a cutting tool to get a generic one to fit.

On another topic, that banana hack is cool. The only problem is it leaves the little bit on the bottom end that isn't pleasant to eat and I have to rip it off and get my hands gooey.

Does that credit-card hack work with debit pads? I like the idea of being able to screw the annoying bitch in the line behind me. lol

Aliotroph? said:

I have yet to see a Dell box that couldn't run something newer than XP. Sometimes the drivers are hard to get for laptops, but even when Dell builds their own parts they really just get them from other companies, allowing third-party drivers to work. I can't remember if I ever tried that with an E310.

Some old Dell PCs had floppy drives with odd housings. The eject button didn't stick out, meaning it didn't work with an ATX case without some tweaking. Maes is quite right about PSUs too. Dell likes to put the plug on the other side and omit the big switch. Often takes some digging and some pliers or a cutting tool to get a generic one to fit.

As I said I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Perhaps mentioning a brand name was a mistake. The real point I was trying to make is that the best and least expensive computers are the ones we build ourselves. That's all I was trying to say. It sounded like good advice at the time.

Well, it is. I always build my own boxes. Way cheaper and far easier to work on in most cases. I just feel the need to be argumentative about computers all the time. lol Dell is far from a leader in industrial design, which makes several dozen of their computer models bloody annoying. They are also failures at innovation, brand vision, and ethics, but meh.

Quast said:

Tuna are top level predators.

:-S

What about sharks, dolphins and orca whales, that go through tuna and salmons like snacks?

Maes said:

What about sharks, dolphins and orca whales

Can't kill those without some hippie ramming your boat.

Maes said:

:-S

What about sharks, dolphins and orca whales, that go through tuna and salmons like snacks?

Dolphin do not eat tuna and sharks and orca do not primarily subsist off of tuna predation.

But that's not the point really. Tuna is a very large long lived fish that takes years to reach maturity. Not a good sustainable fishing market.

Well tuna and salmon are the only things I've found that cure my SAD any reasonable amount, and salmon is expensive, even here in the Pacific Northwest, so yeah.

Step one, go to your local coffee house and get in, order a cup of your ordinary liquid, i mean, not some crazy shit now but the thing you always drink, if you don't drink coffee get an espresso libro, and then step three, pour some milk in your coffee cup, then put the coffee back in there, take one of those small spoons of wood, plastic ones is not the good sort so don't use them because they will fuck the whole shit up, and gently the whole coffee, drink the coffee, but first, step four, order another coffee, something that you don't always drink,