Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

Jade Earth - [Oct 13th: Now on idgames]

I heard things about Jodwin maps and ammo, so I've been kinda stingy. As a result, I have shells and clips littering the floor about everywhere. Seems a reputation has been kinda exaggerated. ;)

So far, I've discovered a secret, found what I guess is another but it's mocking me, and got stuck in the sewers with no idea what to do now. I spent like five minutes inspecting every nook and cranny for hidden switches, humping and punching every wall like a little B.J. Blazkowitz, but nothing wants to lower the platform that'd get me back to the rest of the level.

Gez said:

I spent like five minutes inspecting every nook and cranny for hidden switches, humping and punching every wall like a little B.J. Blazkowitz, but nothing wants to lower the platform that'd get me back to the rest of the level.

You mean the elevator right after the arch-vile? Try humping it itself.

Gez said:

I heard things about Jodwin maps and ammo, so I've been kinda stingy. As a result, I have shells and clips littering the floor about everywhere. Seems a reputation has been kinda exaggerated. ;)

Well, Jade Earth is not a particularly good example. The only places where you risk getting quite low are the beginning areas, at least until you get the SSG. Having the measly shotty forces you to use single shells vs revenants and knights, and if you rush too early into the sewers without exploring the rest of the starting areas, you may easily run out.

After you got the SSG there's hardly a problem, but there are still a couple of places where you can get nearly depleted if you kill everything without infighting (or even with plenty of it). But if you are not dead-set on getting 100% kills you should not have a problem.

Jodwin said:

You mean the elevator right after the arch-vile? Try humping it itself.

Interesting. Okay, mystery solved: for some reason, I had a compat setting on which made the walkover lines in front of that lift block the activation.

Gez said:

Interesting. Okay, mystery solved: for some reason, I had a compat setting on which made the walkover lines in front of that lift block the activation.

Interesting indeed, considering that the lines have pass-through flag set (which is needed in Boom but not in ZDoom...) and if the settings you were using were supposed to be Boom compat, it should have worked just fine.

But that's a port issue, and out of my league. ;)

Nah, it was Doom-compat, not Boom-compat.

Blue key acquired, the automap secret that was defying me has been vainquished. :)

I got killed by the second archie with his chaingunner cronies. Blast! My only save is just before the backpack area.

I like the theme, I especially enjoyed the sewers. Nice and dark.

I ran out of ammo at the baron and imps at the end of the ash cavern after the radiating (reactor?) room. I didn't have much luck getting monsters to infight, so I had to kill almost everything myself, but I didn't waste much ammo. Maybe just a few boxes of shells or bullets could do the trick.

Yaknow I'm trying this one again, and I have to say that so far I'm enjoying it a heck of a lot more then my first run. I'm paying a bit more attention this time around, and so far I've found that the flow is very logical and enjoyable. The atmosphere is immersible. so I am going to flip the thumb from a down to an up. This level's quite enjoyable. I just had to turn on a few brain cells.

NT

I have several things to say about this map.

1) make impassable lines around the wall detailing and supports, please. I got stuck on them more than once while strafing from projectiles. Not good.

2) Either make the hallways and rooms larger, or lose the rocket launcher. Firing it anywhere in the map is basically suicide.

3) Two cyberdemons I have to kill simultaneously + too little ammo + cluttered room = not a fun fight. I had to IDDQD through that fight.

4) Monster closets that open up behind you with every switch you press = also not a fun fight. Ease up on them, please.

5) The map is too dark sometimes. In some of the cave parts, I couldn't even see what was shooting at me and from where.

Other than these, it's a really solid map.

Solarn said:

GIVE ME AMMO

I'm sorry (I guess) if you found yourself out of ammo, but the final version was play-tested by six people in addition to me on UV, and none of them ran out of ammo save for when they actually missed some of the ammo lying around (and the easy-to-miss ammo was moved around to more obvious spots). You're also the first one to raise the issue here, so either you missed a lot of ammo on the way or you need to aim better.

As for not having enough space for using rockets...lol. :)

Jodwin said:

I'm sorry (I guess) if you found yourself out of ammo, but the final version was play-tested by six people in addition to me on UV, and none of them ran out of ammo save for when they actually missed some of the ammo lying around (and the easy-to-miss ammo was moved around to more obvious spots). You're also the first one to raise the issue here, so either you missed a lot of ammo on the way or you need to aim better.

As for not having enough space for using rockets...lol. :)

Generally speaking, after being a bit more careful with my ammo, I never actually ran out, except for that one cyberdemon fight. I may have missed some ammo, but I never managed to finish the fight without resorting to tysoning the cybies.

Having played this back about a week or so ago, I have to say it was quite a fun level. Massive in size, gameplay flowed nicely (Was a fan of that dual cybie battle personally. Not often you run into a real tricky cybie fight like that), looked great, ammo balance was perfect. Ample bullets/shells around, but limited rockets/cells to make you save either of those for emergencies.

Clear time was a bit shy of 2 hours or a little over 2 hours factoring in save reloads. Missed 2 secrets.

Took me just shy of five hours (not counting saves), but I did get 100%/100%/100%. :)

The end was a surprise. Very atmospheric. And then, the twist:

Spoiler

A happy ending: your buddies are actually still alive and well. When was the last time this happened in Doom?

The hardest bit in this level was just after you hit the first of the three exit switched and those 4 arch viles come at you. Ammo was fine, there was a shortage of cells and rockets but more that enough shells.

It's not necessarily the first exit switch. In my own run-through, it was the last, actually.

Yeah, the exit switches can be done in any order...though the rest become much easier if you do the one with two cell packs first (but then you'll have spent those cells before the last fight...).