Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Portals.WAD(?) - Marnetmar Needs Some Help

Marnetmar said:

Special Delivery, a new screenie!

I was actually quite disappointed with how this hallway turned out so far, but before I change it I suppose I should ask you guys what you think:

This hallway looks quite unique and original. I like it for some reason...it just seems...I don't know...memorable, different. The ceiling framework doesn't really suit my tastes, mostly because of the design. I like how you can see the sky; I just think the design of the brace work could maybe be tinkered with.

[StoneFrog said: That's pretty nice! I like your varied use of textures - many first WADs try to play it safe and just stick within the realm of the usual techbase stuff. I'm not so sure about the brown ceiling flat under the vines texture, but the actual hallway is nice. It gives off an Evilution vibe.

I pretty much agree with this comment entirely. You are exploring clever ways of using a variety of textures (without going overboard) instead of playing it safe and making a generic UAC tech base map. Personally, I think this map gives me a Plutonia meets Evilution vibe, which is good.

It might be worth parting off your corridor into some sub-rooms (if that makes any sense), like a couple of alcoves on the sides, instead of just having it be a continuous flat hallway with pillars on the walls. You could retain its main function as a corridor while adding some more potential for maneuverability and interesting gameplay. (And for interesting visual design, while you're at it.)

I realize this would conflict with the areas you have visible through the side windows, but that could potentially be adjusted and reshaped to suit.

esselfortium said:

It might be worth parting off your corridor into some sub-rooms (if that makes any sense), like a couple of alcoves on the sides, instead of just having it be a continuous flat hallway with pillars on the walls. You could retain its main function as a corridor while adding some more potential for maneuverability and interesting gameplay. (And for interesting visual design, while you're at it.)

I realize this would conflict with the areas you have visible through the side windows, but that could potentially be adjusted and reshaped to suit.

I'm not sure I understand. If you could take some spare time to make a cheap idea of what you're suggesting in MSpaint or something that would be great.

You currently have:

|     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
You could change up the shape, add some alcoves on the sides, something like:
    |     |
    |     |
  __|     |__
 /           \
 |           |
 \__       __/
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
Visually, there's a bunch of ways you could handle the result.
The side parts could have lower ceilings to distinguish them from the hall, and you could detail them as separate compartments...
Or, the entire wide horizontal chunk (i.e. the octagonal "room" in the middle) could have a higher or lower ceiling than the surrounding hall, similarly, maybe with some trim around it or some such thing to give the ceiling structure bit more complex shape.
Etc., etc.

This looks fantastic, I love the way the themes are clashing. This would look very cool with the first sky from Plutonia, or even a Doom2 episode 3 sky.

esselfortium said:

You currently have:

|     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
You could change up the shape, add some alcoves on the sides, something like:
    |     |
    |     |
  __|     |__
 /           \
 |           |
 \__       __/
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
Visually, there's a bunch of ways you could handle the result.
The side parts could have lower ceilings to distinguish them from the hall, and you could detail them as separate compartments...
Or, the entire wide horizontal chunk (i.e. the octagonal "room" in the middle) could have a higher or lower ceiling than the surrounding hall, similarly, maybe with some trim around it or some such thing to give the ceiling structure bit more complex shape.
Etc., etc.

Oh I see now. I didn't follow your exact idea, but how does this look?

That looks ok, though some of those flats are clashing fairly strongly. BRICK10 with the gray brick flat for instance. Maybe try to coordinate your colors better to give the impression that these structures are made of a single material.

Use3D said:

That looks ok, though some of those flats are clashing fairly strongly. BRICK10 with the gray brick flat for instance. Maybe try to coordinate your colors better to give the impression that these structures are made of a single material.

That just gave me an idea...

Marnetmar said:

Those two completely different ceiling details, so close to each other, look terrible.

Marnetmar said:

The intent was a nice one, but the execution yieled flawed results. Like Jodwin said, the two different ceiling textures so close together clash. A broken/cracked/damaged wall/ceiling/floor is visually interesting and shows extra care to detail, but you have to make sure that things look right. Since this area seems a bit tech-y, maybe have broken cables hanging from the ceiling, minus the gray stone and metal grate?

Also, make sure you keep this "broken/busted" theme going throughout the map in reasonable amounts so that things don't look visually uneven and illogical.

Also, I think it can sometimes be a mistake to focus on "broken stuff" detailing before or in lieu of more direct structural detail.

While the level of structural detail (architecture, both large and small, stuff that creates interesting combinations of colors and shapes with some sort of visible pattern or intent to their arrangement) and the style of it are completely up to you as a mapper, focusing on breaking stuff apart to fill an area that looks empty to you is (in my experience) usually not the best way to do it. Because you end up with something that's still a flat room, but a slightly busted-up flat room. ;)

fullmetalvaran33 said:

The intent was a nice one, but the execution yieled flawed results. Like Jodwin said, the two different ceiling textures so close together clash. A broken/cracked/damaged wall/ceiling/floor is visually interesting and shows extra care to detail, but you have to make sure that things look right. Since this area seems a bit tech-y, maybe have broken cables hanging from the ceiling, minus the gray stone and metal grate?

Also, make sure you keep this "broken/busted" theme going throughout the map in reasonable amounts so that things don't look visually uneven and illogical.

I see your point. I assume I could get cables hanging from the ceiling from a custom texture?

Also on an other note guys I agree about the OpenGL effects looking terrible. Should I use something like JDoom instead of skulltag?

Skulltag is just fine. My Skulltag doesnt looke like that, so there has to be something with your settings, or hardware or something?

It looks like you have "force additive lighting" on in your OpenGL settings.

(it's in "display options > opengl > dynamic lights ..." in GZDoom, i'm assuming it's somewhere there in ST too)

I think that the ceiling thing looks pretty cool. I love maps with clashing texturing that is a bit "illogical" and abstract. It's actually quite refreshing for me. So please keep this up! :)

I think that posting every single idea you have and asking for "permission" from the audience will go nowhere. Everyone has their own opinion, style and thoughts about how a map should look like. It's impossible to please everyone. As you can see, some say the GL looks horrible, others like it. Some like tech-base maps, some like hell themes. Right now, everyone can just see the aspect they like best in those screenshots and tell you "wow awesome hell map" or "great tech-base!", but in the end you will please nobody, because it will not feel like a base nor hell themed map. At least I fear it could be like that in the end. To me this map already looks like a big clash of styles, so if you keep posting more and more screenshots, asking more and more different opinions on stuff, it will turn out into something that doesn't know what it's supposed to be anymore.

BTW to be a little constructive on the subject, that is why I always work on multiple maps at once. If I have some cool ideas for a creepy mansion, I put the idea in my mansion map. If I have ideas for some bloody slaughter-house, I will put it in the other map. This way, I can still mess around with different styles, but the maps in itself keep one style from start to finish while always giving players new impressions and interesting things to see and play.

You know, this is some excellent advice. To put it gently, yes, it is kind of...pointless to post a screencap of each new piece of the map you design and ask for opinions on it. Some people will like wht you've, some will tell you that you need to make changes. This could get you confused and could possibly lead you into changing too much in your map, in that every section might be totally different because you asked for opinions on each one and got a variety for each one. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Also guys, I have the idea of how to aesthetics in a map, but in your opinion what is it that actually makes a map fun?

Putting monsters in it, some medikits here and there, a couple weapons, and enough ammo for those weapons to kill the monsters with.

40oz said:

Putting monsters in it, some medikits here and there, a couple weapons, and enough ammo for those weapons to kill the monsters with.

Of course, but I mean more in detail. How should I place the monsters/upgrades, how should I go about secret areas, etc.

BlueEagle said:

but in the end you will please nobody, because it will not feel like a base nor hell themed map. At least I fear it could be like that in the end. To me this map already looks like a big clash of styles

I honestly don't see any problem with how he combines hellish textures with base textures to create something a little more abstract. As soon as people start taking this mentality that you can't "clash styles", that's one step towards becoming a robot that makes generic maps that have no character and don't stand out. I don't mean any disrespect, but please don't discourage new mappers from trying to be creative.