Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

(Least) Favorite IWAD?

Marnetmar said:

Doom 2 is the explanation why Sandy Peterson and American McGee shouldn't design levels.

I will never understand this point of view. Also, American McGee? Really? MAP14 is one of the most influential of all time.

I don't hate any one of them specifically. I can find something I like in all of them.

I will predict that there will be a volley of responses though taking the piss on TNT.

Snakes said:

I will never understand this point of view. Also, American McGee? Really? MAP14 is one of the most influential of all time.

I was being sarcastic there, while a few of DOOM 2's maps might be a bit boring, they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

Marnetmar said:

I was being sarcastic there, while a few of DOOM 2's maps might be a bit boring, they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

Ah, my bad. Hard to pick up on that sort of thing when so many people seem to actually believe that.

To answer the question: I like all of the IWADs. But yeah, TNT's 3rd episode was pretty weak overall. Playing through the first 22 maps (including the 2 secrets) is really fun, though.

printz said:

(Thread) title (is) confusing. (Love) or (hate)? Parentheses in thread title are (un)neccessary(?)

And I vote all Hexen haters get eated by Korax

printz said:

Thread title is confusing. Love or hate?

Don't hate, but didn't really like. Switch hunts are shit, and when those switches are in completely different maps it's a whole new level of shit.

Heretic is cute but not really that good either. Both could have been a lot better.

I played through Hexen once, I didn't hate it, but I'm least likely to play it again anytime soon when compared to all the other iwads.

My least favourite? Doom1.wad. I like the levels, sure, but reaching the end of a demo has always been a painful experience for me.

Hexen's easily the worst of the Doom engine games. There's simply not enough weapons which makes fighting stuff dull and I'm not a fan of the puzzles in that game either.

TNT.

It's not that it's all bad but this thing is so uneven that it's very hard to sit through.

In the end I just made myself a MAPINFO that shortens it to the 15 best levels. At least that one's fun to play unlike the full thing.

In order, from best to worst:

DOOM II
I've had the most fun with this one due to game play and possibilities.

DOOM
Almost as cool as the above but somewhat more limited in most departments.

Plutonia
Excellent level set exploiting what DOOM II encouraged.

DOOM shareware
Who can forget starting off with the first episode? It'll stick forever.

The Ultimate DOOM
Cool, but was there really a need to embed the new (and good) PWAD in there that way?

TNT
Not bad as a "megawad" but somewhat redundant with all the above.

Hexen
Neat atmosphere in a somewhat limited game, taking the fantasy genre where it belongs (with the stereotypical classes.)

Heretic
Good idea but most of the differences with DOOM just make it somewhat worse.

ROTT
Kind of neat, but mostly ugly and could never really get into it.

Freedoom
Would be better as a game of its own rather than a shadow of its predecessors.

Strife
Never liked the style nor the new game play elements, but the water texture looks cool :p

ROTT? Since when Rise of the Triad is a Doom IWAD? Or are you talking about something else?

Whatever, I'll follow myk's way of replying here.

I have to choose from: Doom, Doom2, Tnt, Plutonia, Heretic, Hexen, Strife1.

Best to worst.

1. Strife1

Very coherent gameplay, and it's all a single hub. They managed to include mission objectives and characters into a first-person shooter. Gameplay can get as challenging as it can get, and level design is good.

2. Hexen

Second to Strife. It's now divided into several hubs, so there's a bit more linearity. Some pretty inventive scripts and effects for a company like Raven who later made that Hexen 2 near-flop. Classes are very fun even with just four weapons like in Wolf3d. Each hub has lots and lots of levels to keep you busy and exploring. Music is lovely, better than Strife's overall.

3. Heretic

Sorry, but this really takes Doom's cake, because it has more well-designed levels than Doom. All three retail episodes are awesome, and the two expansions ones aren't half bad. D'sparil is very tough. Also, having an inventory with important powerups you can activate when things get dire means you have more control on your survival than in Doom, so you basically live longer, as dying is frustrating.

4. Doom

The game that started it all... is on the fourth place. In any case, its four episodes value more for me than the 32-level glop that's in every other IWAD. Also, I love the music and the skies. Bad points go for some extremely easy levels... At least I can salvage them by going -fast.

5. Tnt

I like this for the good music and the distinctive Team-TNT level design that can't be replicated. Some very interesting levels within.

6. Doom2

Kinda sloppy, with joke levels like Barrels of Fun or the Chasm, what can you expect? It has some nice playground levels for testing new monsters, like Suburbs, but otherwise it's sloppy, more made for commercial purposes (but incidentally helping the community grow too). Hey, it was officially dubbed "Commercial Doom" after all.

7. Plutonia

HEY, WHAT'S THIS DOING IN THE LAST PLACE, BELOW DOOM2?! Yeah but I don't think I like its over-the-top difficulty in cramped layout. There's nothing fun about being bruised by so many people all the time in such close spaces. It's a really paranoic level design.

Interesting, barring the different Doom version choices, my IWAD preference order is inversely proportional to the PWAD count for those games. It makes sense, because people are less motivated to design new maps for something already populated with great levels.