Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Metroid: Other M

Dude you have to play it. Make time!! Fuck now I want to play...

AgentSpork said:

The main complaint with Prime's control scheme was that it didn't use standard FPS fare for consoles (left stick move, right stick look), but most people who complain about it don't seem to realize that Prime isn't standard FPS fare. Above all else it's an adventure game, not a shooter.

It controlled just like most of the first person games I already have on my older systems. Even the lock-on felt natural since it was also present in Maken X, a first person game on Dreamcast. Prime took elements of familiar (to me at least) controls and made them into the perfect adventuring, first-person action combo.

The Prime subseries(particularly the first) remain my favorite Metroid games, with Super and Zero Mission very close behind.

I'm somewhat skeptical about trying Other M though, given Team Ninja's past record with games(i.e. ball bustingly hard), and multiple relations to Fusion, a game I have mixed feelings about.

Craigs said:

If I had a nickle for every time Samus says "The baby" in the first couple of cutscenes, I'd probably be rich. Yeah I get it. You're referring to the metroid. You don't have to keep remind me.

Baby is actually the official name for the creature. It has been in Japan since Super, but it wasn't used outside of it until Other M.

Finished the game about 4 days ago, took about 10 hours I think.

All around, I loved it, start to finish. Controls were unique, interesting, fun, and engaging. I enjoyed the story completely. There were a couple cutscenes early on I thought were a bit embarrassing, but all around I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a story this much. I was actually excited for long cutscenes, that's definitely never happened before in a non-RPG. In the end, I still prefer a focus on atmosphere and exposition rather than a script with cutscenes, but MoM's style and plot was pretty fun. At least I thought so.

The gameplay was a blast in my opinion. When I play prime I really miss jumping, jumping is a royal pain in Prime. I remember tons of bits at the end of the game that are extremely frustrating with jumping and targetting being mixed together. Those parts in MoM are just awesome. Jumping around and shooting is just awesome in MoM. I never had troubles with the first-person mode, I thought it was pretty cool.

I love the game, but I'll admit to three big flaws:

1-No music. Seriously? That blows. That's terrible.
2-Environment is pretty, but much uglier than Prime. If you look up in MoM in an outdoor environment, it looks good. If you look up in Prime, there's always something breathtaking good looking.
3-The Where's Waldo event sequences. Most of these are poorly done. The first one in the game I couldn't get to work for 10+ minutes. I know other people who thought it was broken and reset multiple times. Near the end of the game, there's one I was stuck at for about an hour (room mw). I think the problem then was that I was too far from the screen, so it wouldn't register my pointer at one spot for a long enough time for it to hear.

In the end, here is my final (uncommon) opinion:
Fusion > Prime > Other M > Zero Mission > Super Metroid > Prime 2 > Metroid (never finished II or prime 3 or the others)

For me it's like this:
Super Metroid > Prime > Prime 2 > Zero Mission > Prime 3 > Metroid II > Fusion > Other M > Metroid > Prime Hunters

Though this might give the impression of a deep heirarchy, it's actually pretty flat. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being absolute raging hate and 10 being "BEST GAME EVER!!!" this maybe goes down to 5 at most. Except maybe for Prime Hunters... grrrrr.

A couple of hours into the game, I'll give it an "okay" as far as Metroid titles go. At least I enjoy playing it more than not (hi Prime 2/3/Hunters*).

It's fairly atmospheric, despite the lack of music. Not too different from Metroid Prime in that regard. The voice acting is about as bad as any other game, I guess. The cinematic content is okay, but the presentation is a couple of notches below Fusion. There better be some decent plot twists later on.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of the gameplay. It alternates between fun and annoying. And by annoying I mean that it sometimes seems completely broken, random or non-rewarding. I can accept the learning curve for the controls, although it's giving me unusually much pain for a Nintendo franchise game. But why did the developers have to destroy the shooter core of Metroid gameplay by 1) introducing this ridiculous health system and 2) forcing you to use stupid fighting game maneuvers? Why the hell should advanced dance moves enhance the damage delivered by a goddamn power beam?

So far: Super Metroid > Prime ≃ Fusion > Other M > Zero Mission > Metroid ≃ Metroid II > the rest

* To be fair, Prime 2 and 3 probably aren't that bad, but I gave up on both within less than two hours. With such tedious gameplay, I need at least a reason to care, and none was offered.

Quasar said:

Except maybe for Prime Hunters... grrrrr.

Prety much this. The controls for Prime Hunters were even worse. For me, the controls for Other M were somewhat annoying, but they never caused me any pain. At one point after playing Metroid Hunters for a while my hand actually locked up, probably because of how I had to hold the DS.

Craigs said:

At one point after playing Metroid Hunters for a while my hand actually locked up, probably because of how I had to hold the DS.

I had to stop playing that game because I couldn't clench my hand into a fist after five minutes of gameplay. MP:H promotes carpel tunnel.

Fredrik said:

* To be fair, Prime 2 and 3 probably aren't that bad, but I gave up on both within less than two hours. With such tedious gameplay, I need at least a reason to care, and none was offered.

I still think you should give 'em another shot ;)

Prime 2 has grown to become one of my favorite Metroids. I have been speed running it; my best time so far is 4:39, which involved early missiles/e-tank, 101% trick, space jump backwards, Agon energy skip, Hydrodynamo underwater dash, early grapple, Torvus energy skip, screw attack before echo visor, Ing Hive keys skip, etc. Tons of replay value in there.

I've also done a Dark Suitless run, up til Quaddy. I can't seem to beat him without it. I'm still too bad at hitting his knees during the first phase and lose all my energy :P

Okay, so I thought I gave this game more than enough of a chance.

Suffice to say, it's frustrating, annoying, and badly designed to a tee. I've made it through to the boss in which you acquire the grapple beam, and got so mad, after dying about ten or fifteen times to this thing that I just put the game down and gave up for the time being. And it keeps happening. I don't think I've ever been this frustrated with a Metroid game before, and it's a shame, because, minus the absolutely retarded combat system, the game could have been a decent Metroid title. But nevermind that, let's make Samus a ninja and force the player to execute combo moves just to kill something that should have been a minor issue.

TL;DR- M:OM could have been good. It's too damned frustrating to get through, however.

Membrain said:

Okay, so I thought I gave this game more than enough of a chance.

Suffice to say, it's frustrating, annoying, and badly designed to a tee. I've made it through to the boss in which you acquire the grapple beam, and got so mad, after dying about ten or fifteen times to this thing that I just put the game down and gave up for the time being. And it keeps happening. I don't think I've ever been this frustrated with a Metroid game before, and it's a shame, because, minus the absolutely retarded combat system, the game could have been a decent Metroid title. But nevermind that, let's make Samus a ninja and force the player to execute combo moves just to kill something that should have been a minor issue.

TL;DR- M:OM could have been good. It's too damned frustrating to get through, however.

The thing is so much of the difficulty is really false difficulty because the game is in fact just a button masher. You think you need to be really strategic with your dodges but all I've been doing - and especially with that particular cheap bastard, is to just mash-mash-mash the directional pad any time he's doing anything other than sitting completely still. Got me past him. There's no skill to that, just a matter of how fast you can mash and luck as to whether or not the game seems to randomly register your input.

Eh, not really. The Primes were good, and Fusion was, if not as good, at least fun to play through a couple of times. Other M has just been frustrating to a tee. It has what makes a good Metroid game. If they changed up the progression and combat, the formula would have worked. It's just that Devil May Cry gameplay that really ruins the experience.

I could even take the annoying *BOOM CUTSCENE* and bad VO work if I could stand to button mash like that.

Membrain said:

Eh, not really. The Primes were good, and Fusion was, if not as good, at least fun to play through a couple of times. Other M has just been frustrating to a tee. It has what makes a good Metroid game. If they changed up the progression and combat, the formula would have worked. It's just that Devil May Cry gameplay that really ruins the experience.

I could even take the annoying *BOOM CUTSCENE* and bad VO work if I could stand to button mash like that.

I just keep trying to remember that it took me 16 tries to beat Boost Guardian the first time ;) But that was still fun. This game is just aggravating most of the time >_>

It definitely picked up for a while after getting wave beam and speed booster, but once I got back to the fire sector it has been turning into a grind again.

Remember back in Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime, where when you got a new item, such as a beam, you became significantly stronger, and this applied throughout the game? So it felt like you had really achieved something. Like when you got Plasma, and it owned faces.

Instead what we get now is a very temporary power boost, and then in the next area the damage dealt to monsters is halved and the damage they inflict is quadrupled to make up for it, making the entire thing a very carefully "balanced" act of keeping the difficulty at an absolute constant level.

Also I'm really tired of running into locked doors. Hated it in Fusion, hated it in Prime 3. Still hating it. Locked doors are a hallmark of laziness, because they're there because the game designers effectively said, "We cannot test the game state if you move past this point during X event, so instead we will just lock it."

Free exploration is dead forever, I guess. Gotta quit getting my hopes up that it will ever return.

What really bothers me is how Samus pretty much lets Adam make her his bitch when it comes to what gear she can and can't use. Fuck that asshole. Maybe it's because I never followed the story lines for the games closely, but I always thought of Samus as a bad ass bounty hunter who didn't take shit from anybody. Seeing her act so submissive and allow some douche bag to tell her which gear she can and can not use just doesn't seem fitting for her.

Craigs said:

What really bothers me is how Samus pretty much lets Adam make her his bitch when it comes to what gear she can and can't use. Fuck that asshole. Maybe it's because I never followed the story lines for the games closely, but I always thought of Samus as a bad ass bounty hunter who didn't take shit from anybody. Seeing her act so submissive and allow some douche bag to tell her which gear she can and can not use just doesn't seem fitting for her.

Probably a side-effect of being made in Japan, where women should just shut up and let old men grab their ass on the subway. :P

But no, in all seriousness, I don't like the whole "Adam" subplot either. Didn't like it in Fusion. At least this game does put a little more context to it, but still, it takes Samus, the bounty hunter who happens to be a woman, and makes her Samus, the anime chick who happens to be a bounty hunter. Bleck. Some of her attitudes in this game totally fly in the face of canon material that is by far senior. Such as the fact that she was trained throughout her childhood to become the last warrior of the Chozo, meaning that when she joined the GF Police, she couldn't have been the fresh neophyte this game makes her out to be.

she intrudes on a federation squad's mission and decides not to piss off the CO so she can stick around and save the day probably.

MAKES SENSE TO ME /sarcasm

(it was double sarcasm)

When I accidentally read what the major plot twist is in this game the other night, I almost laughed out loud. :P

Membrain said:

It's just that Devil May Cry gameplay that really ruins the experience.

Other M's gameplay is nothing like Devil May Cry's. Besides, Devil May Cry's gameplay is awesome and you'll get raped pretty hard if you just button mash in those games.

Anyway, not too far into this one yet. Just a little past the spread shot. It's okay minus the loltastic dialogue and whatnot. One complaint I have is that the game's just so damn dark, though that could just be my TV.

I'm just going to point out how in this game, Samus looks just like my friend's wife, right down to the mole on her chin. The best part is that this friend has been a huge Metroid fan his whole life.

Quasar said:

When I accidentally read what the major plot twist is in this game the other night, I almost laughed out loud. :P

A lot of the plot twists were just flat out stupid like what happened to Tyrone or Deshaunn or whatever his name was.

Spoiler

Because falling like 200 feet onto a frozen monster would totally be non fatal and you'd totally be walking around with absolutely no problem afterward.

Kind of glad I didn't preorder, doesn't sound like something I'd want to pay full price for. I was skeptical to begin with, the traditional games actually lost a lot of their appeal to me after how the well the Prime series was pulled off.

On the other hand, I really regret not picking up the Prime Trilogy when I had the chance. I already own the originals, but I really preferred Prime 3's control scheme, and now it's impossible to find a copy for a reasonable price anywhere.

Heh, I can see why Yahtzee thought that the murder plot was unresolved. I had to watch the game twice through until I figured out who the murderer is. You find his body at one point (IIRC he got killed by Ridley and you find it right before the big battle) and they're not very blatant about it. You kind of have to sit there and put 2 and 2 together for a minute or so to figure it out. They don't really make a huge deal out of it, so it's pretty easy to miss.

Danarchy said:

I'm just going to point out how in this game, Samus looks just like my friend's wife, right down to the mole on her chin. The best part is that this friend has been a huge Metroid fan his whole life.

Lucky bastard...

I wub Samus, but couldn't bring myself to get Other M from what I heard of the story. Plus I haven't finished the Prime trilogy yet. I had an infinitude of fun with 1 & 2 but I got locked into a shitty situation in 2 - stuck between two doors that required a light energy beam, I think? with zero light energy to my name. I put the game down but got sidetracked and never got back to it. I should really start again, it was fantastic.

I have mixed feelings about Fusion and Zero Mission. I played Fusion first, and while I didn't much care for getting locked into exploration paths, the fact that it was fast and furious boss battles coming at you (especially on replays) made up for it. ZM traded all the crazy action for vastly increased exploration, and while it was good, I couldn't help but miss the boss density. Oh, and that incredible stealth section. :allears:

Dragonsbrethren said:

I watched the Let's Play of this and it's absolutely terrible. I'm so glad I didn't buy it.

Yeah, the cinematics are all on Yotube. This game is downright embarrassing.

kmxexii said:

stuck between two doors that required a light energy beam, I think? with zero light energy to my name.

IIRC, you can charge the Light/Dark/Annihilator Beams with no ammo for a weak blast that will still open doors.

Anyways, I might rent Other M one day, but I've never cared much to play it, since I've only really heard negative things about it since it came out, and the fans I know still don't seem to care for it.