Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

"Other Games" forum

Should a forum for discussing "Other Games" be created?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should a forum for discussing "Other Games" be created?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe / I don`t know

I've been considering adding a new forum called "Other Games" to Doomworld for a while. Considering this is a community built around a particular family of games, it only makes sense that we like to discuss other games not included in this family. This is a poll to gauge general interest, not to make a final decision. The proposed new forum would include discussions such as:

Specific computer, console, or web games, or any other sort of platform
"Your favorite game" on "XYZ platform/any platform" type threads
Real-life games, such as board or card games

What the forum would NOT include:

Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, or Doom 3-related discussion

What I'm not sure it would include or not, depending if we get a sub-forum for these games:

Rage or Doom 4

Moderators and Administrators, please feel free to include yourselves in this thread as well. If you have something you wish to discuss privately, create a thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

Sure. Never say no. And it's always healthier to explore and compare other games, if we're gamers and all. Likely the non-Doom screenshot thread will be moved there. Also, FP.

I think EE covers 'other games' well enough, and with only about 8 threads that would fit the category on the first page, most of which didn't even get past 10 posts, I don't see the need for a separate forum.

Rage and Doom4 should have a subforum already. They are going to be released eventually and people can talk about trailers or iphones. They will fit right in next to the Doom3 forum.

Agree on whatever else.

I can understand having an "Other Games" forum. However, I don't really see why there would be a "Rage" specific sub-forum. Sure it is id's latest game, but I don't think that is reason enough to treat it any more importantly than other games in the forum. I am sure there will be major forums for Rage outside of doomworld anyway :P.

How about:

Classic Doom
-General
-Editing
-Wads and Mods
-Source ports

Other id releases
-Doom3 (Possibly should encompass other Id tech4 releases such as Prey, ETQW, Q4 and Brink)
-Doom4 (Same as above)
-General Id games discussion (for all other id releases)

Misc
-EE
-General gaming
-News

etc

Catoptromancy said:

Rage and Doom4 should have a subforum already.

Doom 4 I understand, since it's in the same family. But Rage? Did Quake get their own threads at Doomworld when they were hot?

Since this forum is mainly about the Doom series, I'd suggest having a forum named "Other Id Games" and then a second named "Gaming General". Doom 3 should be assimilated into the other boards.

EE covers a lot of topics already, so I don't think a gaming subforum would hurt it too much. ASSUMING people behave, take the Half-Life 2 shitstorm in the Romero Q/A thread for an example.

About the "other id games" one, I don't know. Maybe restrict games on the Doom engine from there? Classic Doom has four subforums already and I don't know if breaking it up even more would be good. On the other hand the Doom 3 forum isn't that active from what I've seen, so assimilating it and turning it into a general id game forum would be killing two birds with one stone.

I don't think there is any need for additional subforums, EE is probably the most active one already and it still never has more than 6 or so threads going at once. I know personally more subforums would mean fewer threads I'd see.

Bucket said:

"Other Id Games"

You know what? That's not a bad idea. If we people who like some times to map for something else than Doom, but close enough, but whose community is dwindling or inexistent, such as Quake 2, it would be great to have a place where to show our post-idTech1 maps in progress.

I don't personally care since I use the "view new posts" button instead of going through individual forums.

I find that EE covers everything pretty well already. Granted we have a few threads discussing other games I don't feel that theres such a volume of threads that another forum is required, so I'd say no to that. However I do believe a Rage/Doom 4 seperate sub-forum would be appropriate, as they will be coming out and since they are in the iD family it does make sense to appropriate seperate space for them.

Bank said:

I don't think there is any need for additional subforums, EE is probably the most active one already and it still never has more than 6 or so threads going at once. I know personally more subforums would mean fewer threads I'd see.

Agreed.

Since the DoomBuilder forum poofed I don't see why not. Then I'll have somewhere to brag about my amazingly vast Sega Saturn collection. Also I'll moderate it by being totally kickawesome.

I don't play any other games so I'm really not interested. You don't have to listen to me though.

Why not. There's probably more than enough members with gaming interests outside the id Tech 1 family to justify a dedicated forum.

Bloodshedder said:

Specific computer, console, or web games, or any other sort of platform
"Your favorite game" on "XYZ platform/any platform" type threads
Real-life games, such as board or card games

I wholeheartedly agree that there should be a new forum in this category so this way I don't have search for gaming threads in the "everything else" forums anymore and I think it will be better organize this way.

kristus said:

How about:

Classic Doom
-General
-Editing
-Wads and Mods
-Source ports

Other id releases
-Doom3 (Possibly should encompass other Id tech4 releases such as Prey, ETQW, Q4 and Brink)
-Doom4 (Same as above)
-General Id games discussion (for all other id releases)

Misc
-EE
-General gaming
-News

etc

I think this is a good idea.

You mean I will have to dig in another forum to find stuff? I find this whole concept of multiple forums on a site to be frustrating. It reminds me of how every game studio thinks they should have their own folder in the start menu.

with the Rage/Doom 4 stuff, and the general inactivity of the Doom 3 forum, might it be best to just turn the Doom 3 forum into just "other id Games." And then realistically I don't see at that point where a forum for every other game would be relevant, EE would continue to cover it pretty well. Also, I think that the Doom 3 forum/new "other id games" forum could be moved to Misc, the group for the doom 3 forums is pretty silly considering theres only one item. So the forum would look like this:

[Classic Doom]
Doom General
Doom Editing
Wads & Mods
Source Ports
[Misc]
Other id Software Games
Everything Else
Doomworld News
News Submissions
[Special Interest]
(same as before)
[Morons]
(same as before)

Alternatively, I've always thought that Fan Fics / Fan Pics was a bit out of place in Special Interest, especially considering that its not even Doom centric anymore. That could also be moved to Misc. And another thought (either added on to that or on its own) is to seperate truly Misc stuff and the two News related forums into two groups.

Doomworld is first and foremost a classic Doom-related site, as well as its family-member games. You could almost say that Doom 3 and 4 are Doom in name only.

Therefore, I don't plan on making a Rage subforum, mostly because it isn't Doom. Pretty clear-cut criteria there.

I also don't plan on making an id Games subforum, because this isn't necessarily an id fansite. Quake, Hovertank, Commander Keen, etc. discussion could go in the proposed "Other Games" forum.

I also don't plan on including other id Tech 4 games into the Doom 3 forum, mostly because I don't see them to be as significant as classic Doom's relatives. Heretic and Hexen were developed very closely with id, and Strife, well, nobody really gives it enough love, so we include it in the classic Doom family.

However, I do see a Doom 4 forum in the near future. It will probably be stuck next to Doom 3 and the subforum renamed to "Modern Doom" or "Doom 3 and 4" or something stupid like that.

Bloodshedder said:

Heretic and Hexen were developed very closely with id, and Strife, well, nobody really gives it enough love, so we include it in the classic Doom family.

Quake 4 and ETQW were developed in the same cooperative manner as Heretic and Hexen, if anything they were even more closely. As for Strife. Actually, Romero was working behind the scenes with Strife as well.