Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DemilinX

Which source port can permit a Mac and PC user to play Doom together?

My roommate has a Mac notebook running Mac OS X. My desktop PC is running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista. We share access to the same Wifi network and I could run a LAN cable between the two systems. Which source port would be best for permitting a multiplayer session?

As long as the port has the same build number for each different platform, it should run fine. I have played 1 or 2 Zdoom LAN games between Linux and Windows, so a game between Mac and Windows will work with no problems.
I can't imagine any multiplayer supported sourceport having a different netcode for a different platfrom. That would be completly pointless.

The three major multiplayer ports all have a Mac client believe it or not. Skulltag only runs on Intel mac though, and I'm pretty sure ZDaemon only does too but don't quote me on that. Odamex runs on both PPC and Intel though. Also yes they can all be played together.

Odamex is going to be the better client; game-in-progress joining, high resolution, more customizable controls, whatnot.

If it's just two people on a LAN, there's no need for a port that allows joining in-progress games, and what controls can you customize in Odamex that you can't customize in Chocolate Doom?

Also, if he wants to play coop, I can't recommend Odamex at this time. Although it has improved significantly, there are still synchronization issues.

But yes, if higher resolution and boom compatibility is important, Odamex is the better choice.

I've used PrBoom-plus online. Did you read what I said on that thread?

The problematic mouse bug I'm aware of only affects Windows 98 or my system, other than the player color and name bugs that also affect plain PrBoom, which are more cosmetic. The net code is okay for local play (a LAN or an opponent in the same urban area) but worse than the code in Doom over IPX or a TCP/IP tunnel or in Chocolate Doom.

I believe Andrey's statement was more of a disclaimer than something concrete or critical; he doesn't concentrate on the online aspect, so he can't guarantee it'll work as expected. The "sucks" was surely about connectivity over the net.

But yeah, for multiplayer, it's probably safer to use PrBoom, in any case, as PrBoom+'s TAS features work online and can produce weird effects. I remember using it once with a friend and one of us accidentally hitting the key that speeds the game up... "lol, why is the game suddenly going faster?!"

Sorry, must retract previous posting. Some of network code in DoomLegacy has endian conversion, but it appears that most of it is
sensitive to 32bit and 64bit differences, and is NOT endian safe.

Further update: I do not know for sure. There are some old fixes, one of which re-defined the ULONG macro to a standard 32bit size (good). But still no sign of endian conversion for Macs in the network code (bad) (though we got all the wad code endian converted).

This has been noted as is being looked at be a team member.

This does not affect network play using similar machines.