Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DemilinX

texture alignment continuity from outdoor to indoor sectors

Hello. I rediscovered a wad from the past that I have found memories of playing, but many textures are horribly misaligned. I've been aligning them via Doom Builder 2, but I've come across a conceptual design issue. If a building has the same interior texture as the exterior, should the texture be aligned throughout? I'm inclined to say yes, but at the same time, I realize that wall textures such as WOOD1 may look better if the molding were aligned with the interior rooms' ceilings. This is in contrast to if the wall texture were aligned with the exterior which would disrupt the interior alignment of the molding. I've included screenshots of the dilemma.

In the first shot you can observe the double stacked wall texture (WOOD1). If I leave the molding aligned with the interior ceiling this can create a continuity problem in passageways (i.e. doors and windows) between the two sectors. The interior is aligned with the ceiling default height as observed in the third screenshot. Should it be aligned with the exterior even if it may cause molding to appear in the center of the walls' height?

One possible solution I imagine is to included pillars or other door framing architecture so as to sidestep the entire issue of texture alignment continuity. What are your thoughts?

DemilinX said:

One possible solution I imagine is to included pillars or other door framing architecture so as to sidestep the entire issue of texture alignment continuity.

This. Make the doorway "thicker" and just give it SUPPORT3 or something else, etc.

If you think of it more in terms of substance/material, the outside of a building wouldn't be made out of wood panels (unless it is like a shack or something). Usually the interior wall material in buildings is distinct from the exterior, some exceptions would be things like brick mills, large stone structures (castles, cement skyscrapers?), log cabins. The wood1 texture, in my opinion, is more of a decorative paneling, that wouldn't make sense to expose to the elements. Or another possible use would be like a structural type of plywood, you could have a damaged wall of some sort, behind which some wood1 beams are visible.

So what I mean is, you could avoid the alignment issue altogether by choosing a different exterior texture ;-P

Thanks for the suggestions. I think for the time being I'll leave the textures in place since it will maintain the original authors' design more closely, but if I design my own levels - hopefully soon - I'll use the strategies suggested here.