Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

Favorite Book

Let's talk about books. My favorite book is "Großes Wilhelm-Busch-Buch" (Great Wilhelm-Busch-Book). What is your favorite book? Please show a picture of it, but only one book! Not like in the "whatever collection". I'm interested in american books as well.

I dunno about favorit. But one book that definitely got a special place in my heart is the Mumin childrens book "Hur gick det sen?" ("What happened next?")

Deeforce said:

What is your favorite book? Please show a picture of it, but only one book!

I meant one book of every doomworld member that reads books. Only one member?

By A Slender Thread by Barrie Skelcher. It's like Bulldog Drummond crossed with The Riddle of the Sands... which coming from me is the highest praise.

LOL j/k it's actually The Black Gang by Sapper.

deathbringer said:

By A Slender Thread by Barrie Skelcher.

Barrie Skelcher, I don't know anaything about him, but I think it was touchee.

I never really got into reading, but I feel like I should for the same reason I play doom wads; it's an endless source of entertainment. I've however been thinking about browsing websites for summaries of popular books so I can read those and still receive the same message they are trying to present without trudging through 300 pages of literature. Summaries are usually long anyway.

40oz said:

I've however been thinking about browsing websites for summaries of popular books so I can read those and still receive the same message

The entertainment from literature is the unraveling of the plot and characters as you read, reading summaries isn't fun. It be like saying you know about some Doom WAD, but instead of playing it you just read the /newstuff review.

I recently have been loving the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide. Aside from that, I also liked To Kill a Mockingbird, I liked the LOTRings, Huckleberry Finn, and some of the Star Wars expanded universe books (especially Timothy Zahn's stuff). I started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and I think I was liking it, I just couldn't take it for long, I need to try again.

Scet said:

The entertainment from literature is the unraveling of the plot and characters as you read, reading summaries isn't fun. It be like saying you know about some Doom WAD, but instead of playing it you just read the /newstuff review.

Alternatively you can look at screenshots on WIP pages which is pretty close to it.

Pretty good book. I'm really hoping they translate the next one, Metro 2034.

my heart will always belong to roger zelazny's amber saga. i love every single one of the ten books, but if i had to choose one, it'd be sign of the unicorn. the scene with all the siblings gathering for corwin's experiment to rescue brand is infinitely entertaining.

Reading fiction is slow paced and requires too much time and effort to find the quality needles in the haystack of crap, so I rarely read fiction. And like everything else, money makes it worse; its caught on that a fairly long book has economic value so everyone makes fairly long stories, whereas I'd probably prefer short ones that get to the damn point with less bloat. I'm probably soured because public school focuses on fiction like 'the old man and the sea'. Who cares? They give you a test on a bunch of fictional crap some random asshole who happened to become famous completely fabricated out of his dickhole.
I like non-fiction a lot. 'the selfish gene' and 'a new kind of science', 'the connection machine', 'code' wikipedia and other random stuff like (time life?) books etc are some of my favorites. Video as an alternate medium (attenborough etc) can be great for lazy people too just like movies for books.

brinks said:

twilight

888    888 888     888 8888888b.  8888888b.  
888    888 888     888 888   Y88b 888   Y88b 
888    888 888     888 888    888 888    888 
8888888888 888     888 888   d88P 888   d88P 
888    888 888     888 8888888P"  8888888P"  
888    888 888     888 888 T88b   888 T88b   
888    888 Y88b. .d88P 888  T88b  888  T88b  
888    888  "Y88888P"  888   T88b 888   T88b 

ggmork: Read some short stories.

I don't know if I have "a" favorite book. I've been on a William Faulkner kick lately so I guess I'll pick:

Danarchy said:

Either The Hobbit or the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy".

This. Or the original six Dune books by Frank Herbert. I haven't read any of the ones by Brian Herbert or Kevin J Anderson yet though so I have no opinion yet.

Barring them, ANYTHING by Orson Scott Card.

I want to have something like this, but in book format together with picture format or comic format, colorful absolutely:

I've read too many good books to chose just one. But my favorites include the wheel of time series by robert jordan, the republic commando series by karen traviss (fuck whoever decided to retcon those out of canon), basically anything by edgar rice burroughs, and the hyperion/endymion books by dan simmons. There's also the discworld books by terry pratchet, and isaac asimov has some really good stuff. douglas preston and lincoln child wrote some good ones which I can't remember right now,and I think the relic involved one of them. Tolkien is a must include, and charles stross has put out some really good ones, including accelerando, glasshouse, and saturn's children. And though I hate his guts for basically wiping out half the main characters you first meet and get attached to, george RR martin does some nice low-magic fantasy. And finally john ringo and travis s taylor's through the looking glass books are awesome.

So uh, yeah, my name's armouredblood and I'm addicted to fantasy/sci fi.

"The Never Ending Story", the Greek version by the Psychoyios editors. It has some original artwork on the front and back cover, while inside it has the original German edition illustrations, which IMO gives depth and atmosphere to the book. I was given it as a present in 1988 and I hold on dearly to it.

ArmouredBlood said:

hyperion/endymion books by dan simmons

Dan Simmons is fun. I liked Illium/Olympos as well, although he sorta wrote himself into a corner and had to leave a lot of stuff unexplained. I wish he would get back into sci-fi again - this 'historical fiction' thing he's doing is OK, but, eh... The Terror was good, Drood was so-so, but Black Hills didn't really excite me at all from the description.