Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
picklehammer

dark arena mappers... hehee

Dark Arena
This alarmingly generic submission from the "Hey look, the GBA can do first-person shooters!" department features 20 nearly identical-looking levels with inappropriately bright color schemes, gunshot effects that sound like a bored programmer going "Pshew! Pshew!" into a tape recorder, map designs that seem like they were spit out by a Doom random-level generator, and "puzzles" that have you perform video game punch line tasks like "Find the Green Key!"
Still, despite its highly non-specific nature, Dark Arena scores for being a fun, smooth, fast-moving twitch-fest with lots of enemies to smite and plenty of weapons with which to smite them. It's a stupidly mindless way to kill time when your brain doesn't want to deal with puzzle games or high-concept SNES 2D platformer ports, and a four-player deathmatch link mode (featuring additional multiplayer maps) only adds to the potential carnage. The developers also decided to be nice and include a brightness option—something that would be welcome in more GBA games. Get Dark Arena once you've had your fill of Doom and want...well, more Doom.

that's a review (not by me) of dark arena
heh, guess you suck at making levels

It's well explained by the fact that I didn't make any maps for it.

Seems like the ego implant is finally kicking in ^_^

/me wants one

More like jealousy =p

There were many limits on the GBA. I had to subtract detail from my maps about 4 separate times before they ran smooth on the system. Also, virtually all the linedef types were taken out, except for the 12 or so essential ones (like doors and buttons). Even I agree the levels suck... but still, compared to the other games on GBA I think it's good stuff.

Strange thing is, I sent them a level, and they said they'd LOVE me to make levels for them, when I signed a confidentiality agreement and faxed it to them.

Which I did, and never got a reply.

Even when I mailed them to ask if they'd got it.

Strange thing is, I defy anybody to work with limits as well as I do - I've edited for so many older games, I've lost count.

And because I'd sell every organ/body part I have a spare of to work on designing for a commercial game, my levels would have been the utter best of my ability - which is, as far as I gather, pretty good - or so I've been led to believe.

So, in all confidence, I can say the game would have been better if I did any levels for it.

Probably if Fredrik did, as well.

Nonetheless, ANY game with a Maonth (Ravenous) AND a Pablo Dictter level in it HAS to be worth playing.

Vorpal, I want that avatar. I don't deserve one anymore, you see :(

Uh...right.

They got paid. You did not. You lose.

I lose? damn I want a rematch

Dark Arena sucks and so do the levels

that's cause people here made them

and whoever that person was that got rejected: I think they have odd problems. I got a few replies saying they'd like me to map [heh] [/heh] but then they seemed to cut off contact like with many of you. Odd.

They got paid. You did not. You lose.

I lose? damn I want a rematch

Dark Arena sucks and so do the levels

that's cause people here made them

and whoever that person was that got rejected: I think they have odd problems. I got a few replies saying they'd like me to map [heh] [/heh] but then they seemed to cut off contact like with many of you. Odd.

Can it. you didn't even submit, so you have no right to be pissy.

Strange thing is, I sent them a level, and they said they'd LOVE me to make levels for them, when I signed a confidentiality agreement and faxed it to them.

Which I did, and never got a reply.

Even when I mailed them to ask if they'd got it.

Ditto

Edit: 400th post!

The review that started it all...

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=63922

PSchmitz

Hey did you want the Millennium stuff? I never got a reply in that last Dark Arena thread.

Apologies. Between work and the flu (BLECH!) I forgot about the request.

I'd be happy to check out Millennium, but I am hip deep in Daedelus work ATM.

You can send me a link to where I can download the materials through the email addy of this account.

As soon as I get the chance, I'll take a look at the project and offer some feedback.

Thanks,

Paul