Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

Despicable Me... Any good?

So Despicable Me has only just come out here in Australia, it has probably been out in the rest of the world since like 1987, and I was thinking of going to see it.

Is it worth a look, or is it like 2 hours of the usual cliches and subplots?

I saw it because I had to go to the Cinema for work. I was impressed. There are lots of adult jokes in there. Despite being a kiddy movie, it's got some of the best writing I've seen the Hollywood machine churn out this year.

I'd go see it but the last couple of years movie theaters in my country are showing animation movies with Danish voices because..I dunno, I guess they think only kids wanna see the movies.. luckily I was able to see Toy Story 3 in English...

Even if I wanted to se Despicable Me in English it's not even out here yet..

EvisceratoR said:

I'd go see it but the last couple of years movie theaters in my country are showing animation movies with Danish voices because..I dunno, I guess they think only kids wanna see the movies.. luckily I was able to see Toy Story 3 in English...

Even if I wanted to se Despicable Me in English it's not even out here yet..

Maybe you should learn Danish if you live there.

Or is this one of those "DUBZ R THA DEVIL!!1" things? Funnily enough watching a dubbed film does not rot your brain, cause spontaneous combustion or make the sky fall in.

Yeah, I don't know what people have against dubs. True, some are terrible, but I've seen some good ones. Das Boot has a perfectly fine English dub, since it was filmed without sound and technically the German version is a dub too and the actors all dubbed both. The Slayers had a pretty awesome dub. With a lot of anime, it seems like the voice actors went "damn, no good cartoons are hiring right now, guess I'll take this job doing this Japanese crap", but the Slayers cast was (and still is) way the fuck into it. Some of them are even fans of anime going back into the 80s. Coincidentally, they were pretty much also the cast of the original Pokemon dub, which makes me a bit sad that they re-dubbed that series (not that I really watched it).

Plus most of Miyazaki's films have good dubs... Although poor Howl's had monotone Christian Bale, and even if he did well, there's no way he could deliver,

"Sophie!... Sophie, you're beautiful!!!"

For the most part, they do a good job. Another good dub is Kung Fu Hustle.

deathbringer said:

Maybe you should learn Danish if you live there.

Or is this one of those "DUBZ R THA DEVIL!!1" things? Funnily enough watching a dubbed film does not rot your brain, cause spontaneous combustion or make the sky fall in.

1) I am Danish
2) It's a matter of preference. There are many reasons for this. A lot of the jokes get lost in translation for example, hence I prefer the original language.