Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
c1rcu1tn3rd

Floor and Ceiling texture alignment

Yea...I'm a noob and have been posting alot lately but alas I'm also having an issue with textures aligning on the ceiling or floor. Basically when I go and make a new 64x64 sector, drop the ceiling and paste a light texture on it, it's not aligned. The texture just repeats. When I move the sector it still has a problem. The link below shows what I'm talking about. Now my question is how do I get it so that the light is in the center and I can keep the sector where I want it. I know there is a texture offset for line defs but I didn't find one for floor and ceiling textures.

https://sites.google.com/site/c1rcu1tn3rd/filecabinet/texture.jpg?attredirects=0

Flat (floor/ceiling) textures do not have an offset you can set. They are automatically lined up with the 64-unit grid. However, there are two solutions to your problem:

1. The vanilla-compatible approach: export the flat texture in question from the doom2.wad, then modify the graphic so it aligns how you want it to, then import it back into your wad (not doom2.wad) as a whole new flat texture.

2. The ZDoom-compatible approach is to use the Sector_SetCeilingPanning, Sector_SetFloorPanning, Line_AlignFloor, or Line_AlignCeiling line specials to align the flat texture. Read about these on the ZDoom Wiki under "Action Specials".

I think you should learn how to place the lights on the 64x64 grid before messing with new textures / advanced features bullcrap.

If you change the grid size to 64x64, that will show you where the sector needs to be.

EarthQuake said:

2. The ZDoom-compatible approach is to use the Sector_SetCeilingPanning, Sector_SetFloorPanning, Line_AlignFloor, or Line_AlignCeiling line specials to align the flat texture. Read about these on the ZDoom Wiki under "Action Specials".

3. The Boom-compatible approach is to temporarily scroll the floor or the ceiling while no-one is looking, until they're aligned. Here's about displacement scrollers. Even if it's the Eternity wiki, that part is Boom compatible (and recognizable from boomref.txt). The idea is that a sector's vertical floor or ceiling movement happens synchronously with another sector's conveyor floor or ceiling movement.

SlayeR said:

You can also set floor/ceiling alignment if you use the UDMF map format.

But wouldnt that bother other flats that are aligned correctly?

iLLbeint said:

But wouldnt that bother other flats that are aligned correctly?

No, you can set the alignment of each sector's floor and ceiling individually.

But really, for the purposes of this thread's OP, the general answer that doesn't involve switching to a new sourceport and map format is "move your stuff onto the grid". It's the easiest way in most circumstances, and it's how most of us do it.

esselfortium said:

But really, for the purposes of this thread's OP, the general answer that doesn't involve switching to a new sourceport and map format is "move your stuff onto the grid". It's the easiest way in most circumstances, and it's how most of us do it.

And being able to see the floor textures in doombuilder2 makes it even easier.