Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Normster

Doom2 Sound Problem

I can't get the Soundblaster 16 to work in Doom2, running the program in DOS (have MS W-95 setup). Everything else works fine. I had the program (including sound) running perfectly 4-5 years ago, then blew the hard drive (unrelatedd to Doom). Never re-loaded it until now. Do I go to Setup and jiggle some of the settings?

I've had the same thing happen- everything was running fine at one time and then when I went back something, like the sound, wouldn't run anymore.

In my case, 2 things had been changed: I had rem'ed out the following comment in my AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 T6

Also, I had rem'ed out the following in CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE noems

My guess it's the first one that you're missing or is in there incorrectly.

ok this has been driving me crazy here.
I still need dos doom for watching old demos :)
I have a via wave soundcard...
on irq 5.
Now, sometimes the sound seems to break up (lots of distortion), and when I quit, restart doom no sound at all.
So I've added the set blaster=a220 I5 D1 to my autoexec.bat, hoping it would make a difference.
ANd of course it didn't :-I no sound at all now!

Obvioulsy I'm doing something wrong here.
My system: Win 98, p3-800...

Dunno if this will apply or not, but your sound card settings may be different under DOS, and in a DOS session under Windows.

This drove me crazy for a while with my SB live. When I eventually got it sussed out, I then got a new driver, which changed the settings again.

Anyway, if you are running DOS sessions under Windows, start a DOS session and type SET to see your environment variables (or whatever they are called). You may find your sound card is using different values than those in AUTOEXEC.BAT

tyr reinstalling the drivers, they usally set up your autoexec.bat file. also depending on the card, when u set up doom sound effects it will ask for how many voices to mix, choose a mid number and the distortion may be gone or lessened.

fucking irg/dma conflicts. Number of voices? Teh scourge of teh Duke Nukem 3D Setup program, itself a pile of shit, for many a year.

TRY SOME SYSTEM 32 AND A SOURCEPORT.

Yeah after adding it to the bat file I checked my setup... and yes sc is on irq 5.
prboom is compatible with dos 1.9 doom for playing demos? All of them??

prboom is compatible with dos 1.9 doom for playing demos? All of them??

Yes. I have my PRBoom set up to play .lmp files on a double click, with right click options to choose an iwad other than Doom 2. It works like a fucking dream!

However, PRBoom uses Timidity for midi, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Do a Google for EAWPats and find Timidity. Download it. Unzip it to C:\Timidity. Find the complete EAWPats set, it's a 22 meg .rar file. Unrar it into C:\Timidity too. Ignore what they tell you. It's set up. Enjoy! =)