Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

Alkylation - Betatester needed !!!

I don't want to hurt your feelings Lorenzo, but overall I don't like this WAD that much so far. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but the gameplay just doesn't really have any flow to it. It just seems like you put a bunch of random monsters in each room.

That's just my personal opinion however, I'm looking forward to seeing how this WAD eventually turns out. Keep it up.

Okay, here's my review: The challenge is very high on UV. There is enough health, but I think you should put a little more, the new monsters just deal too much damage for the amount you have now, and if someone who is not a master doomer is playing, this will just frustrate them. Although, having maps four and five a little lower on health would be okay. Ammo is good though. Also, the plasma shotgun is useless. Either leave it out, or choose a weapon that is MORE useful than the double-shotgun. I don't like the fact that I have to press the fire to charge it then again to actually attack with it. The maps are aesthetically very pleasing though, no areas are too dark or too bright, and the detail level is just right.

Aye, the Plasma Shotty seems to be a little out of place. It can be effective, but those moments are few and far between. Also, just the graphic itself is awkward. It's the only weapon that's right aligned so far.

Also, I may be just spoiled with PsychoPhobia and randomizers, but maybe you can add more creatures in there that are similar. Similar zombies with slightly different stats (weaker and faster, slower and stronger, etc), more Imp types, Demons, HK's, etc. Otherwise everything seems to be pretty good the more I play it and study it.

So you didn't like the plasma gun... well with the double shotgun game was too much easy, and with other weapons it was too much difficult ;-)
I'll see if i can find a better weapon. You have to press fire to reload it because otherwise you could have a fire rate too much high.

@Marnetmar: well, how would you suggest to put better the monsters? More traps?

Thank you all for your review. I hope someone else would try it...

Lorenzo

killer2 said:

Count me in as beta tester.I love ZDoom mods!

Thank you!!!

I hope you can enjoy handle with care!!!

L.

From what I've played, it all plays well, no glitches. Very aesthetically pleasing, and I enjoy the new monsters! I still don't particularly like the Plasma Shotgun, though. It's too risky to use it. If all plasma projectiles hit the target, that's good damage, but it's harder than the SuperShotty to use. The reloading part is also hard to get used to. I can probably dig around Realm667 to see if there's any weapon that can take its place if you want.

Other than the plasma shotty, I've really enjoyed this wad!

PRIMEVAL said:

From what I've played, it all plays well, no glitches. Very aesthetically pleasing, and I enjoy the new monsters! I still don't particularly like the Plasma Shotgun, though. It's too risky to use it. If all plasma projectiles hit the target, that's good damage, but it's harder than the SuperShotty to use. The reloading part is also hard to get used to. I can probably dig around Realm667 to see if there's any weapon that can take its place if you want.

Other than the plasma shotty, I've really enjoyed this wad!

Perhaps the plasma shotty is not the best weapon of the world. If you find a good substitute, I may use it as well.

L.

Unless I can make a better graphic or something...using it I guess isn't too bad. The graphic is just an eye-sore I think.

I'm not really sure if I will have time to beta-test this,so for now I will retreat from the beta-tester status.

killer2 said:

I'm not really sure if I will have time to beta-test this,so for now I will retreat from the beta-tester status.

:-(

I might jump into the wad within the next day or two to replace his spot. I have other stuff I'm testing already but from a brief look it doesn't look like something that should take me that long so I might fit it in anyways. :)

MegaDoomer said:

I might jump into the wad within the next day or two to replace his spot. I have other stuff I'm testing already but from a brief look it doesn't look like something that should take me that long so I might fit it in anyways. :)

that's good... but remember there are 5 levels... enjoy!

L.

Lorenzo said:

that's good... but remember there are 5 levels... enjoy!

L.

5 levels isn't that much for me. I looked at the map sizes too and they don't seem outrageously massive or anything, just about right actually.

I'm a little dissapointed there's no difficulty settings but otherwise I look forward to testing this for you when I get the chance. :)

Jodwin said:

1. Why is your gamma so damn high?/B]

It would be nice to see screenshots with gamma 1.2 instead of 2.0. Lorenzo, just type 'gamma' in the console and hit enter. It will tell you what your gamma is set to. Gamma simply represents how bright you have the game set. 1.0 is default, 2.0 is really, really, really bright. 1.2 is a pretty typical or a common setting for people to use.

Hellbent said:

It would be nice to see screenshots with gamma 1.2 instead of 2.0. Lorenzo, just type 'gamma' in the console and hit enter. It will tell you what your gamma is set to. Gamma simply represents how bright you have the game set. 1.0 is default, 2.0 is really, really, really bright. 1.2 is a pretty typical or a common setting for people to use.

I had gamma = 2.1. Changed to 1.2. Ok, now it's darker (of course).

Curios thing is, when I took screenshots, the images were very dark, but once uploaded to imageshack they became brighter...

Map01 feedback - good architecture, like the theme, appropriate size, fun to play. Solid stuff and I look forward to more. I'd consider dropping out the Chainsaw or making it secret though as I had enough ammo without it. Plus/or maybe take the health count down a touch. Nothing too huge, since it's a starting map and shouldn't be crazy tough. It just seemed slightly too easy, slightly being the operative word.

Start of Map02 - Are these levels designed to be played from pistol start, or as continuous? The way Map02 starts leaves me a bit unsure, and I'd like to know the intended method before moving on.

Nice work again so far though. :)

MegaDoomer said:

Map01 feedback - good architecture, like the theme, appropriate size, fun to play. Solid stuff and I look forward to more. I'd consider dropping out the Chainsaw or making it secret though as I had enough ammo without it. Plus/or maybe take the health count down a touch. Nothing too huge, since it's a starting map and shouldn't be crazy tough. It just seemed slightly too easy, slightly being the operative word.

Start of Map02 - Are these levels designed to be played from pistol start, or as continuous? The way Map02 starts leaves me a bit unsure, and I'd like to know the intended method before moving on.

Nice work again so far though. :)

No pistol start, they should be played one after the other.
Too much ammo?

L.

Lorenzo said:

No pistol start, they should be played one after the other.
Too much ammo?

L.

No pistol starting should be a note in the text file as that's the way many people tend to play maps nowadays (even episodes/megawads).

I'd say for the least frustration (after thinking things through and considering that I now know for certain that these maps aren't designed for pistol starting), I'd probably emphasize a bit more on saying there's a little too much health. Having limited ammo can be frustrating, but limited health with enough ammo is a good challenge. Also I might not really be able to do a great job judging ammo balance several maps in without pistol starting; that's another reason most modern wads are designed for pistol starts and many if not most players use them. However I can't just "carry around" all the extra health I want so health balance should remain judgable throughout in any case. For now, I'd say on the first map there ideally should be either no change with respect to ammo or just a tiny touch less, but a small amount less health, overall.

I'll continue to play this and give my feedback, I hope it's appreciated. :)

MegaDoomer said:

No pistol starting should be a note in the text file as that's the way many people tend to play maps nowadays (even episodes/megawads).

I'd say for the least frustration (after thinking things through and considering that I now know for certain that these maps aren't designed for pistol starting), I'd probably emphasize a bit more on saying there's a little too much health. Having limited ammo can be frustrating, but limited health with enough ammo is a good challenge. Also I might not really be able to do a great job judging ammo balance several maps in without pistol starting; that's another reason most modern wads are designed for pistol starts and many if not most players use them. However I can't just "carry around" all the extra health I want so health balance should remain judgable throughout in any case. For now, I'd say on the first map there ideally should be either no change with respect to ammo or just a tiny touch less, but a small amount less health, overall.

I'll continue to play this and give my feedback, I hope it's appreciated. :)

Your feedback is appreciated, sure.

Well, previous testers told me that there were not enough health, so I added medikits and stimpacks. Perhaps too much...

Levels are intended to be played one after the other. I'll add more episodes in the future when pistol starts are intended, but at the moment there is only this episode.

I didn't that pistolstartin is so diffuse... I always play one level after th other... well, what's the opposite of pistolstarting?

L.

Lorenzo said:

Your feedback is appreciated, sure.

Well, previous testers told me that there were not enough health, so I added medikits and stimpacks. Perhaps too much...

Levels are intended to be played one after the other. I'll add more episodes in the future when pistol starts are intended, but at the moment there is only this episode.

I didn't that pistolstartin is so diffuse... I always play one level after th other... well, what's the opposite of pistolstarting?

L.

Yeah, that's the opposite of pistol starting, per se.

I'd say in this case you probably just added a little too much health, so maybe remove half or so of what you added. That'll probably be a happy medium. :)

At this point you can either adjust the health and post a new link or I can play the current beta all the way through before you make a final decision; please just let me know which you'd prefer.

And I'm glad my feedback's appreciated. :)

MegaDoomer said:

Yeah, that's the opposite of pistol starting, per se.

I'd say in this case you probably just added a little too much health, so maybe remove half or so of what you added. That'll probably be a happy medium. :)

At this point you can either adjust the health and post a new link or I can play the current beta all the way through before you make a final decision; please just let me know which you'd prefer.

And I'm glad my feedback's appreciated. :)

Please play the way as it is intented to be played, from start to end.
Eventually I'll remove health in a next version.

L.

Sounds good. :) I'll also determine if there's extra health in other levels, just because one has a bit too much doesn't mean they all do.

Lorenzo said:

How is it going, MegaDoomer?

L.

I hate to say this, but TBH I've really had a hard time judging the balance well because of the pistol start incapability. If you could consider making these maps doable from pistol starts, as 95%+ of public levels are, that would really be welcome not only by me but also by many others who ultimately play this wad IMO.

But to give what feedback I have, everything from Map01 still applies, and I'd say I had a bit too much ammo in much of Map02; health seemed better balanced in comparison to ammo - might be able to judge it better if I had the intended ammo balance. Guess - reduce health to about 90% of what it is currently, ammo to about 85% what it is currently (but also add a shotgun at the start to support pistol starters).

I'd appreciate if you could get back to me when possible on these thoughts; I'd like to continue playing but really feel I need these few things ironed out first. I will say I've found it enjoyable :), just not necessarily up to its full potential, and I feel just some minor balancing adjustments can really change that.