Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iLLbeint

CTF still big?

Is the CTF scene for Doom still big? I know Skulltag's zdaemonctf maps get traffic every now and again, but classic CTF. Does anyone still do this?

Yeah if I ever see anyone playing CTF on Odamex I jump on that right away.

Odamex is the closest port to CTFDoom. Plus its got those nifty Boom features. How often are people on the Odamex servers?

I play CTF a lot on Skulltag and zdaemon. Currently on a Odamex ctf server right now...just waiting for the direct wad download from the server to be finish which sadly takes forever :(

Me and 5 other people are in the odactf1 + 2cctg-2 CTF server right now on [DTX1]

209.144.21.66:10676

gogogo!

iLLbeint said:

Classic CTF: No powerups, No nifty fancy features.

i could understand no 'fancy' jumping and mouselook... but no powerups? like no soulspheres and megas? gtfo, pseudo-os-guy.

What is Doom without powerups? I think you totally didnt have that in mind when you replied. And as for powerups, Doomsphere, Guardsphere, etc. You catch my drift. I'm just an old school guy. And there are days when i want to play modern Doom online. Theres an app for that, and its called Skulltag.

iLLbeint said:

You catch my drift.

i don't, because i don't play skulltag ctf. the competitive standard is at zdaemon.

I play it. I hop onto ZDaemon CTF servers sometimes, and tried Odamex CTF for the first time recently.

iLLbeint said:
And as for powerups, Doomsphere, Guardsphere, etc.

Megaspheres, supercharges, partial invisibility spheres, radiation shielding suits, light amplification goggles, berserk packs, invulnerability spheres, and backpacks are also powerups and can be found in classic modes.

Fluffles said:

Pretty sure Zdaemons ctf scene is 24/7 now. So yeah it's popular.

Last I checked a month or two ago it looked pretty dead compared to the standard that I remember from when I was an active player.

Yeah sorry saying 24/7 was probably abit much... More like all active american hours. Theres a Dwango United server which normally has about 10-16 people in from afternoon-evening in america. Private ctf in europe is much more popular nowadays.

Belial said:

Last I checked a month or two ago it looked pretty dead compared to the standard that I remember from when I was an active player.

public ctf isn't as frequent/enjoyable as it used to be. european ctf scene basically died when this culminated with drama, tears and ragequits. north american ctf scene is mostly banned and lurks in private unadvertised servers. the situation is a bit bleak, but someone is usually playing something if you have all the right ip adresses and passwords. or just visit the right irc chans.

The Dallas (zdctfmp) servers tend to get public games daily. I played on a few games a couple hours ago :p

Nevan said:

Not sure if it's just me, but CTF is getting less play over at ZD, otherwise I'm just not seeing enough.

That's probably because the ZDaemon administration openly bans talk, links, or association with the International Doom League, which has the greatest collection of North American CTF players in the world (who play quite frequently!). Visit us at irc.quakenet.org #idl

Goatface said:
OS is dead.

Nonsense. Look at the tremendous Map01 games the Euros got going in the tourney dew managed. OS deathmatch will die when DOOM dies, as it's a fundamental part of the game.

myk said:

Nonsense. Look at the tremendous Map01 games the Euros got going in the tourney dew managed.

oh crap, i forgot to ask oce for demos! brb...

myk said:

Nonsense. Look at the tremendous Map01 games the Euros got going in the tourney dew managed. OS deathmatch will die when DOOM dies, as it's a fundamental part of the game.

It's just a ZDaemon meme, a sort of rhetorical troll.