Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

DeePsea 12.15 and R3Dedit 1.6.37

After years of being idle, there are new versions of DeePsea and R3Dedit out. A flurry of updates between July and now have added Strife support, Heretic and Hexen IWAD texture editing support, extended Thing and dynamic light support, jump commands for the 3D editor, and more. A more complete changelog can be found here on the news page. From there, you can also download the program, buy the full version, and those who registered DeepSea 12.13 are entitled to a free upgrade.

Been a registered user for years and will continue to be so. I have no complaints about Doombuilder and it's a great editor, but my preference is DeepSea.

I'm not here to get into the so-called "wars" between the editors, it's just a personal preference, nothing more.

My work with TeamTNT for all those years has been with DeepSea. I've used Doomcad, DETH, ZETH and DEEP throughout my mapping career. It's all been good!

Wow this is great news!!!

Now let me know when the idiot who makes it actually grows a brain and stops charging 35 bucks for it.

I do not want to waste money on it. When I tried Doom Builder, it was more functional than DeepSea, for me.

Graf Zahl said:

Apparently no UDMF support

In hindsight, has UDMF really taken off though? I only recall one released wad that used it (that said, I don't know about in progress wads/mods).

Vermil said:

In hindsight, has UDMF really taken off though? I only recall one released wad that used it (that said, I don't know about in progress wads/mods).

What does 'taken off' mean? I know several work in progress projects that use it. Don't forget that the format is barely 2 years old with the first usable editor coming even later so the type of maps that would use it are just not done yet.

Also, don't forget that CodeImp just has released an extended visual editing plugin beta. I think that will truly help UDMF get off the ground because now all the nice things can be done directly in the visual editing mode.

The age of premium editors is over. Given that there are now freeware editors which are just as effective (if not moreso in some respects), this seems completely pointless to me. It's not 1997 anymore.

esselfortium said:

Is R3Dedit still using GPLed Doomsday code?

Of course it is. Whether we'll ever see a public release of the R3Dedit source is another matter though, as I sincerely doubt he gives a shit.

DaniJ said:

Of course it is. Whether we'll ever see a public release of the R3Dedit source is another matter though, as I sincerely doubt he gives a shit.

So, and why aren't the Doomsday authors sueing the shit out of Deep?
Thats a clear license offense.
I would.

Funfact: If you say Dieb (Thief) in German it sounds like Deep.

Bastet Furry said:

So, and why aren't the Doomsday authors sueing the shit out of Deep?
Thats a clear license offense.

Because it's not worth the hassle? Legal proceedings are expensive.

In other words Deep can do his highly illegal thing because getting the law to do something in the US is too expensive?
Brilliant.... just... brilliant... *uses face with table*

Why do you think the US are so f*cked up?

Anyway, sure the Doomsday team could sue him but what would be the point? Even if there was no money involved I wouldn't subject myself to the stress this necessitates. The best thing is to ignore him (and preferably un-news this thread.)

Graf Zahl said:

The best thing is to ignore him (and preferably un-news this thread.)

Un-newsing this thread would be counterproductive. The more bad attention his project gets, the better. People who search for deepsea need to know this guy is a GPL violator and a dick. He is, after all, on the first page of results when you look for "Doom Editor", right behind Doom Builder.

So yeah, I did not post this news post because I liked the guy or his software. In fact, if I had been awake when the thread was newsed, I would have been the first guy to point out that he still charges $35 and still violates the GPL when it comes to R3edit.

It really doesn't particularly bother me in a practical sense because its such old code. I can safely say there is nothing in there that anyone will want that isn't already available.

Yes its damn annoying, especially since Graham Jackson eventually did the right thing with Risen3D.

I think we all know deep well enough that he will not have changed his mind on the whole 'license duality' situation he proclaimed Doomsday to be in at the time of the Risen3D fork.

Pursuing this legally is something I'm personally not prepared to do. Obviously I can't speak for skyjake however, as we need to remember that the code in question is 98% his.

gemini09 said:

How do you get slopes to work in the 3D preview mode?

Installation
========

1) Place the GZDoomEditing.dll file in Doom Builder's "Plugins" directory.

2) Start Doom Builder and go to Tools menu, Preferences. Choose the Controls tab and find the "GZDoom Visual Mode" action in the Modes group. Set this action to a key you wish to use to switch into and out from Visual Mode. You can give this the same key as your original mode, because now we will replace the original Visual Mode with the new one.

3) Go to Tools menu, Game Configurations. Choose the game configuration on which you wish to use the new Visual Mode. This plugin is made for UDMF formats, but some features also work for Hexen format. Go to the Modes tab and UNCHECK the original Visual Mode and CHECK the "GZDoom Visual Mode".

You can also have both Visual Modes together (simply do not uncheck the original Visual Modein step 3) but you will need a different key for the action that switches to the mode.

http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/