Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

DeePsea 12.15 and R3Dedit 1.6.37

EarthQuake said:

Last night I downloaded, installed, and configured Doombuilder.

Let's see how well I can break my 14-year-old habit.

Why? Still using my Deepsea copy here, from 2003. Though I see no reason to upgrade, also I'm put off by his behavior since the whole Risen3d fiasco.

Use3D said:

Why? Still using my Deepsea copy here, from 2003. Though I see no reason to upgrade, also I'm put off by his behavior since the whole Risen3d fiasco.

I'm a bit dumbfounded, but what was it that he did?

John Smith said:

I thought I read you had transitioned to DB2?

I had planned on retiring Deepsea since I was not convinced I would be able to get it working on the 'new' machine, I say that cause this machine is still 8 years old and only has 512 mb of ram, so DB2 probably won't run anyway. Turns out Deepsea works fine and is stable as ever.

Mr. Chris said:

To put it bluntly, he stole code. More accurately, he used GPL code without releasing the source of his changes. Risen3d's authors did the same.

Csonicgo said:

To put it bluntly, he stole code. More accurately, he used GPL code without releasing the source of his changes. Risen3d's authors did the same.

Risen3d came clean, but Deep decided he was above it all and does whatever he wants. It's wrong and what makes it even more shitty is it has been perpetrated against the very community he claims to serve, so in short, fuck him.

Mr. Chris said:

I think it has to do with his selective acknowledgement of software licences, at least that's the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

After reading that thread, at least GJ did right at the very end...tho by seeing Deep's posts, he has come off as a self-important jerk with no regards to the licensing.

DeepSEA will never have my support due to things like this..and how can he contend with FREE such as WadEd, Doom Builder, SlumpEd and XWE?

Is the unwillingness of lawsuit caused by deep and the Doomsday team living in different continents?

Probably. Why is it always us Americans that usually fuck others over like this (Assuming Deep is from the states)?

Oh wait, I think it's the stubbornness or unwillingness of folks taking advantage of freely available code and violating the license for it for their own pleasures.

Also, if he updated DeePSea, why hasn't he even bothered to update his site so it doesn't look like a Geocities webpage and with up to date info?

where do we send donations to sue this guy's ass? :)

His website is based in Texas, so we can suppose he's american.
Would reporting he's using stolen code to his website host help ?

VinceDSS said:

where do we send donations to sue this guy's ass? :)

His website is based in Texas, so we can suppose he's american.
Would reporting he's using stolen code to his website host help ?

Maybe if enough people complain about it, something could be done.

I used to be a Deepsea addict, then I downloaded DB2 and my brain was completely blown. How does this guy expect to be able to compete by CHARGING MONEY for an INFERIOR PRODUCT?! Well, I haven't bought it so I can't judge, but seeing the comments here, I'm getting a strong vibe it doesn't even come close to DB2's awesomeness.

PaganRaven said:

Well, I haven't bought it so I can't judge, but seeing the comments here, I'm getting a strong vibe it doesn't even come close to DB2's awesomeness.

Not everyone has a quadcore computer lying around for a doom editor so we have to make sacrifices. But yeah, luckily we at least have some choices when it comes to editors, even if the author is a giant dick.

Use3D said:

Not everyone has a quadcore computer lying around for a doom editor

Eventually everyone will have.

Use3D said:

Not everyone has a quadcore computer lying around for a doom editor so we have to make sacrifices. But yeah, luckily we at least have some choices when it comes to editors, even if the author is a giant dick.

My laptop is a piece of shit and it can handle DB2 just fine.

DB2 should work fine on any system that doesn't hail from the stone age. Even my previous, by now 6 year old computer has no problems with it - and yes, by today's standards it's a pathetic piece of crap.

Graf Zahl said:

DB2 should work fine on any system that doesn't hail from the stone age. Even my previous, by now 6 year old computer has no problems with it - and yes, by today's standards it's a pathetic piece of crap.

Does it run fluidly? No insufferable wait times for custom textures to load? No latency between clicking on that vertex and selecting itself?

I got a 5 year odl PC on which I edit stuff once in a while, it runs fine and not slow. It's a PC from 2005 with a AMD64 X2 + a Radeon X700 , so it's pretty outdated.

Of course it's not as snappy as on the i7-920 + HD4870, but it remains very acceptable.

printz said:

Does it run fluidly? No insufferable wait times for custom textures to load? No latency between clicking on that vertex and selecting itself?

Aside from the fact that the old system only has 512MB RAM, yes. But due to the memory limits I have problems running resource hungry applications on it.

Of course on my current computer, which is also 3 years old by now, it is a lot better - not surprising when you consider that it got a twice as fast QuadCore and 6x as much RAM.

I tested DB2 on an old K7-3000+ with an GF4 Ti and it was usable.
Ok, it stuttered now and then, but what do you expect from a machine that old.
Wouldnt dare testing it on the oldest XP-Capable machine i have, though.
800 Mhz and TNT2 will be a bit too old. ;)
Have to try DB1 on my main DOS machine though, K6-166 with 64 MByte and a Matrox Millennium G220 running Windows 98 (with BootGUI=0 in msdos.sys, just for the pedantics.).

Graf Zahl said:

printz said:

Well as hilariously fun as dealing with those kinds of behavior sounds, I seem to have given an erroneous impression, as I have no intention of jumping on the DB bandwagon just yet. If anything I'd only use it for ease of detailing completed maps. I just feel the need to pipe up whenever someone rambles on about DB being the savior of mappers everywhere. And yes, my systems are all from the stone age, and that's how it's going to be for a very long time. Perhaps another half a gig of RAM and DB2 will almost run as well as Morrowind. :)

Technician said:

I'm just here to post my resentment of DeePSea.

Kewl!! I'm just here to post my resentment of Doom Builder. Not really...just wanted to see how it sounded!

{delete]

Holy-Unintintional-Thread-Necro DOOM Guy!

...see, I was searching for "DOOMSDAY" and "DEEPSEA CONFIG", and, in my endeavours I found this link. Clicked, found myself appalled by what I read (yea, that rock I was under was pretty heavy...), voiced my discontent and deleted/removed my installation of DeepSea (since v10). I didn't even think to look at the date stamp of the last post. My bad. :(

...so...er...sorry for that.