Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CodeImp

(G)ZDoom Editing Plugin for Doom Builder (BETA)

Here is why plugins are cool! I could post this in the recent Deepsea news thread, but I'm not that cruel.

I am working on a (G)ZDoom Editing Plugin for Doom Builder 2 which lets you edit some of the (G)ZDoom features directly in the editor (slopes, 3D floors, colored lighting, scaled/rotated/panned textures and flats and more) and the first bunch of features are already in. I am releasing this as BETA to see if I can get some feedback and bug reports. Please hold back on feature requests for now, I have a bunch of things that I'd still like to add, so don't worry about that.

This video shows you what to do when you have the plugin and shows you a little bit of editing:
DEMO VIDEO

You can download the beta version here:
http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/db2-r1412.zip
You need to have the latest official version of Doom Builder 2 installed and just extract this over your Doom Builder 2 (overwrite it) and it will also give you the plugin.

After following the instructions in the video, open the attached demo WAD (attached below) to see some of the UDMF features that the plugin has.

gzdoomeditingdemo.zip

Amazing. This is going to decrease the pain and anguish of TSoZD's and SpaceDM9's development significantly. Being able to edit flat alignments and vertex slopes in realtime is a revolution.

BTW, if they're not supported by this already, could you add support for the linetypes used for slopes in Eternity in Doom format? They're listed in the config I posted on the DB2 forums recently. Their behavior is the same as ZDoom's Doom-format slopes (which is the same as Plane_Align, just in multiple specials rather than a single parameterized one).

That is scheduled for the Eternity Editing Plugin, which may be created later :P
Or you may do it yourself, simply copy my code and remove the code related to 3D floors, light effects, etc, so you only have left what Eternity supports.

Just when I thought it could be a great addition, thank you and congrats CodeImp!
I second Melon as well.

Hey now, this is neat! I was wondering if Doom Builder 2 would get support for such a plugin. I'll give it a whirl, though at the moment I'm not really working on anything that would make good enough use of the features.

Smashing stuff!!! Can't wait to try it out!!!

By the way, it would very useful if you could have a list of unused buttons when you want to assign for example plug-ins to a new hot-key. Rather trivial, but still useful :)

Yeah I'm a bit late to this but I just have to say wow! This has made me motivated and excited to get back into mapping. This definitely set the bar for doom editing programs.

It seems to work flawlessly on a newly-spawned Heretic-in-UDMF (config courtesy of Gez) map, but on my in-progress map it causes this unhandled exception. Even so, the application and the GZDoom visual mode continue working. I'm using r1416 at the time of writing.

EDIT: In any case, I second what everyone praised about this feature.

This is simply amazing. Thanks, Mr CodeImp. :)

Perhaps we've gotten a little spoiled, but is there a chance this plug-in can also preview dynamic lighting? :)

You have gotten spoiled :P No, I doubt that will happen, because it is a more complex rendering technique that I'm just not willing to make in Doom Builder.

(would it be possible to get a ruler up in this mthafcka?..)

Yes, 3D slopes work just fine. You're probably not doing it right. I struggled a bit with them initially too.

This is probably the ONLY function that Doom Builder has been missing for so long. Truly amazing!

Wow! I just watched the youtube tutorial... it's like a dream come true... a real breakthrough. No more having to switch between visual mode and testing to catch glitches with 3d floors or slopes.. or (most annoyingly) 3d slopes.

Keep up the good stuff CodeImp.

Wow! I downloaded this on my birthday :D
This plug-in is really awesome, but...
Can we somehow report bugs?
Because I found one: texture offset doesn't work - in editor it's shown, but in game it's 0,0. With native Visual mode it's fine.

I'm not sure that plugin's supported by recent releases of Doom Builder 2, so you might like to try GZDoom Builder and see if the offset issue's been resolved there.

Xeotroid said:

Wow! I downloaded this on my birthday :D
This plug-in is really awesome, but...
Can we somehow report bugs?
Because I found one: texture offset doesn't work - in editor it's shown, but in game it's 0,0. With native Visual mode it's fine.

After r1411, that plug-in was dedicated to UDMF format. So, that is not a bug, that is the way it works.

If you feel strongly about it though, report it at
http://www.doombuilder.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

By the way, GZDoombuilder works the same way.

Is this still available for the current DB2? Or any other means of seeing 3d floors etc. in Doom Builder 2 without going GZD? :)

Camaxide said:

Is this still available for the current DB2? Or any other means of seeing 3d floors etc. in Doom Builder 2 without going GZD? :)

If you're using one of the more recent development builds, the plugin's there but not enabled by default. First step is to set the GZDoom Visual Mode tickbox (in Game Configurations/Modes) for the ports and formats you intend to use it with - preferably UDMF format. Next step is to assign a key combination (in Preferences/Controls/Modes) to toggle that visual mode on/off, I settled for Shift W. You should now be good to go.