Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Toenail

Regenerating Health

40oz said:

It's not permanant. Have you ever noticed what happens when you stand on top of a medikit?

LOL you know what I mean.

With regenerating health, you could be at 1% and just chill until you regenerate. So yes, for that time where you hide and regenerate, you are on the defensive. However, you then receive your health back and can take more damage. Without regeneration, you simply cannot take another hit until you find some health - period. I have several times backtracked all the way to the beginning of a level just for that stimpack I left there, because I've already cleared those areas. I would consider that defensive play. Also, if I am forced to push through the enemies to reach health on the other side, I will be also forced to refrain from taking a single hit, meaning I will be as cautious as can be. That is also very defensive. So I guess in both cases you must be defensive for a time in order to heal, but it seems like most of the time regeneration allows you to heal much faster and generally by just staying put, whereas without regeneration you have to either retreat or proceed with extreme caution.

Altough there are games with health regeneration mechanics that work major part of modern FPS are not the case. I liked the regenerating in Riddick - 4 squares, each 1 point of "life" if it was damaged partially it will heal, if its gone, it wont come back until you use medical device. It worked for the brawl/shooter mix of game like Riddick was.
Making mods to import pretty much the worst feature of modern "interactive movies" to DooM is stupid. It could work if you make levels that count with such mechanic, but regular DooM levels and custom levels made for classical DooM wont work.

I really like regenerating health. Makes gameplay smoother, with no time wasted running around looking for medkits. It's just easier on your brain too.

It's silly to see the health regenerate after you die, even if it takes you over 1% and the deadface going away.

ABSOLUTELY lovely mod! It's very popular among Schism modding forum\discord, and also among Android players.

One request though, can I have version of the mod that completely removes health and armor pickups, but doesn't have extra damage factor at all? 100 hp limit is risky enough, and armor is very overpowered in Doom II anyway.

54 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

ABSOLUTELY lovely mod! It's very popular among Schism modding forum\discord, and also among Android players.

One request though, can I have version of the mod that completely removes health and armor pickups, but doesn't have extra damage factor at all? 100 hp limit is risky enough, and armor is very overpowered in Doom II anyway.

LtbyadK.png

in my sourceport, i added optional "health accumulator". when you have full health, picked up medikits and stimpacks goes to "accumulator", which will slowly inject you with 1% of health up to 80 or 90 percents. it also has "health boost" mode (with quite a long cooldown) when your health is very low (like, below 10% or like that) -- it will instantly inject you up to 80% again (if you have enough accumulated health). yet you still can die, because injecting is done *after* you get all the damage, so it's not an "invulnerability mode". i found this much funnier than to constantly run back to pick up medikits. you may try to make the same thing as GZDoom mod too.

1 minute ago, ketmar said:

in my sourceport, i added optional "health accumulator". when you have full health, picked up medikits and stimpacks goes to "accumulator", which will slowly inject you with 1% of health up to 80 or 90 percents. it also has "health boost" mode (with quite a long cooldown) when your health is very low (like, below 10% or like that) -- it will instantly inject you up to 80% again (if you have enough accumulated health). yet you still can die, because injecting is done *after* you get all the damage, so it's not an "invulnerability mode". i found this much funnier than to constantly run back to pick up medikits. you may try to make the same thing as GZDoom mod too.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

'cmon, i have to PR my sourceport wherever i can, because nobody else does it for me. don't worry i'll calm down soon.

p.s.: okey, trying to reply to revived necrothread in a most possible boring way i could, to make it die of boredom again wasn't the best idea for a joke.

Edited by ketmar

38 minutes ago, ketmar said:

What sourceport you're talking about?

8 hours ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

What sourceport you're talking about?

it's all there, in my profile. writing "my sourceport" instead of "k8vavoom" lets my posts to not look like an advertising spam (spam! spam! beautiful spam! spam, spam, k8vavoom with spam and spam!)

On 2/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, ketmar said:

it's all there, in my profile. writing "my sourceport" instead of "k8vavoom" lets my posts to not look like an advertising spam (spam! spam! beautiful spam! spam, spam, k8vavoom with spam and spam!)

Hey bruh, any chance you can port your mod here for gzdoom/lzdoom, or edit already existing regeneration3.wad?

Really looking for mod that completely disables health/armour pickups (aside from maybe berserk), so you finally stop being a mapslave and completely become independent from handouts of the map designer, that will make the gameplay more fluid and enjoyeble as you're now able to clean your mind from useless garbage and focus on the fun part.

Alternatively, you can also add armour regen which permanently changes its percentage of protection once you pick armour with higher protection (as in case of vanilla doom - blue armor or megasphere).

53 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Hey bruh, any chance you can port your mod here for gzdoom/lzdoom, or edit already existing regeneration3.wad?

no, sorry. not because i "hate gzdoom" or something, simply don't want to. i think your best chance is either DIY, or ask on ZDoom forums, ther are people who loves to write ZScript code for everything. ;-)

5 hours ago, ketmar said:

no, sorry. not because i "hate gzdoom" or something, simply don't want to. i think your best chance is either DIY, or ask on ZDoom forums, ther are people who loves to write ZScript code for everything. ;-)

I bet it's just a shameless method of marketing your own port... >.>

21 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

I bet it's just a shameless method of marketing your own port... >.>

but... it was the Secret Plan! how did you...

On 9/18/2010 at 11:29 PM, Captain Toenail said:

This ZDoom mod is a simple experiment to see how regenerating health, a gameplay mechanic accepted as the norm for modern shooters, effects the gameplay of Doom. All armour and health pickups except Berserk are removed from the map, and the player now takes 1.5 damage to compensate for regenerating health. Please tell me what it's like using it :)

http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=10027

I'm still trying to find the original version of Regeneration health mod with feature that completely erases all of the health\armor pickups that you mentioned, and I browsed through all of the internet to find none. Any chance you still have it?

I forgot I even made this lol

No I don't have the file anymore, sorry. If I remember correctly I removed all the health items by replacing them with blank actors in Decorate if you want to recreate it.

e.g.

Actor BlankThing replaces Medikit

{

}

On 9/18/2010 at 8:17 PM, magicsofa said:

As if permanent health loss encourages offensive play? what?

No, but regenerating health encourages defensive play more

On 2/18/2021 at 4:45 PM, 1Destro3456 said:

No, but regenerating health encourages defensive play more

I stand by my argument from 10 years ago. Regeneration allows the player to throw away infinite health, as long as they can camp out and regenerate it somewhere. Pickups and permanent damage force players into a finite amount of acceptable damage. Sure, if there's tons of pickups then you can just go wild, but just as a concept, regeneration is always there, while pickups get depleted. Therefore, regeneration encourages offensive play. If you think "I have infinite health, I'll be defensive" or on the contrary "I have finite health, I think I'll just waste it all being reckless," then I'd say your strategy is a bit flawed...

On 2/19/2021 at 12:08 AM, Captain Toenail said:

I forgot I even made this lol

No I don't have the file anymore, sorry. If I remember correctly I removed all the health items by replacing them with blank actors in Decorate if you want to recreate it.

e.g.

Actor BlankThing replaces Medikit

{

}

Hey bro, any chance you could upgrade your project, pretty please? This one has a huge potential, and people still enjoy your mod even decades after its creation. As mentioned earlier, a whole praise among Schism community.

You could add adjustable configurations in to the main menu (or options), add option to regen armor with optional protection; and options to disable both health and armor pickups. Configurations are always a lovely feature.

There are some unpleasant bugs, though. Like, the game doesn't save when you do input parameters through the console, like "set regen_maxhp", once you exit the game, so you'll be forced to write exactly the same parameters over and over whenever you're about to launch the game.

23 hours ago, magicsofa said:

I stand by my argument from 10 years ago. Regeneration allows the player to throw away infinite health, as long as they can camp out and regenerate it somewhere. Pickups and permanent damage force players into a finite amount of acceptable damage. Sure, if there's tons of pickups then you can just go wild, but just as a concept, regeneration is always there, while pickups get depleted. Therefore, regeneration encourages offensive play. If you think "I have infinite health, I'll be defensive" or on the contrary "I have finite health, I think I'll just waste it all being reckless," then I'd say your strategy is a bit flawed...

Actually no, because regenerating health is easy to take cover for most of the time and automatically get their health back, while the health with pickups it doesn't matter how much time you go and cover your situation on health won't change, yeah taking a breather is good but taking cover is less encouraged than with regenerating health.

25 minutes ago, 1Destro3456 said:

Actually no, because regenerating health is easy to take cover for most of the time and automatically get their health back, while the health with pickups it doesn't matter how much time you go and cover your situation on health won't change, yeah taking a breather is good but taking cover is less encouraged than with regenerating health.

No. Your total health is matter entirely on the humbleness of map designer's allowance of health pickups, eventually turning you to be the mapslave and if it's the first time playing this map - literally praying the map designer left some health pickups for you later on. Some really talanted, great map designers while are absolutely fantastic at creating maps, do it so in their vision and often like to torture the player by forcing him to rely on his own health and leave no health pickups at all or leave these at bare minimum. Thus, knowing that your eventual health is limited by the whimsicality quirks of the map designer and his vision of balance, it becomes clear that the best option to play is the most safest of all and do not play offensively when you know that your health loss is permanent. As result, knowing that your resources are limited, you're play to play the most boring, safest and slowest gameplay available for the maximum achievement of your own safety; unless it's a trap. It's not necessarily about "taking cover" (while that is also encouraged, since cover is a good spot to shoot from), but about playing too slow and the safest possible, like a pussy.

With the health regeneration, while you might be more fragile overall if there is no health pickup to instantly gain you 100 hp back in middle of a dense fight, you know you're allowed to take more risky approach and more fun gameplay knowing that you're not permanently punished by the map designer if he didn't put enough health pickups to encourage more offensive gameplay. In fact, you're not even need to take cover to regen your health back, all you need is to play smart and do not take much of damage. And as you know, if the map features traps where you're ambushed by enemies everywhere at every corner of the game, "taking cover" is simply impossible. This is why I rather be a glass cannon that can only take 3 hits to die but do not worry about pickups, than 20 hits through whole map. It just erases the unnecessary mental limitations of annoying pickup preservation while at the same time makes the game more fun to play, more offensive and more hard in a way. We as species function this way, it's in our genetics of survival instinct to preserve as much pickups as possible for the "harder times" even that means deny yourself a more fun gameplay and usage of more fun guns to use because of scarcity of their ammunition, thus the capitalism was born.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:54 AM, magicsofa said:

Finally a glimpse of pure reason and common sense on this cursed, god's forsaken website. Please be more often around, fren.

On 2/21/2021 at 9:39 AM, MaxRideWizardLord said:

I have optimally modified the original, but you can edit it at your own option.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:37 AM, Doomenator said:

I have optimally modified the original, but you can edit it at your own option.

Aren't this is just a basic medkits pickups but just more complicated? This kinda kills the whole intentional philosophy behind the item-independent playthrough that the regen mod provides.

Personally it seems to me it changes Doom to another game... just imo.  A lot of people don't seem to like Doom, wishing it were another game altogether.  Myself, i'd rather play that other game, in that case.

10 hours ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Aren't this is just a basic medkits pickups but just more complicated? This kinda kills the whole intentional philosophy behind the item-independent playthrough that the regen mod provides.

No, these are not just medkits. Green medkits is the regen of health. They will spawn with a 20% chance. You can change this value to 100 and replace the armor with them, but this will not solve your problem with ammo. )

6 hours ago, Doomenator said:

No, these are not just medkits. Green medkits is the regen of health. They will spawn with a 20% chance. You can change this value to 100 and replace the armor with them, but this will not solve your problem with ammo. )

The green orb is kinda cool as it last for whole map, but wouldn't that mean that you'd need to have these pickups to spawn near you for it to take the action? Besides, do they stack the regeneration if I pick more than just one of these pickups?