Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Katamori 1024 (Boom-compatible megaWAD)

I forgot to say, but I made 2 videos about the episode 1. Watch them and please tell, what's your opinion:

For the last screenshot of MAP12: looks MEATY! :D
Five people died when they realised that actually they were eating blood soup. The sixth one found a yellow chip in his one and seeing this, he just went gibs! :D

Oh, and the videos: Overkill! You've done it baby! :D

Cell said:

For the last screenshot of MAP12: looks MEATY! :D
Five people died when they realised that actually they were eating blood soup. The sixth one found a yellow chip in his one and seeing this, he just went gibs! :D

Oh, and the videos: Overkill! You've done it baby! :D

Lol :D it's not blood soup, it's paradise soup, like in Reptile's WAD, as you remember :Đ

Paradise soup? I'm sure you meant: Tomato soup :D
Anyway, I haven't played Reptile's wad MAP05-MAP09 and sure I'm not gonna either, because it was deleted when he changed operation system. And remember the fact, he's DooM-bored.

Tried this wad. Place looks pretty good, but often found disbalance ammo. Just enough to feel uncomfortable in these narrow corridors, especially when clamped demons.
Nevertheless, this wad is good enough. And I tried to record some speed demos. I think they can overtake.

Archi said:

Tried this wad. Place looks pretty good, but often found disbalance ammo. Just enough to feel uncomfortable in these narrow corridors, especially when clamped demons.
Nevertheless, this wad is good enough. And I tried to record some speed demos. I think they can overtake.

Thank you very much the apperciate and also the demos!

BTW, Doomworld link available!
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16361

My FDA's (recorded in Prboom-plus 2.5.0.9.test with complevel 9) - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/945742

Advice: get rid of this 1024 limitation. If you want to make small maps, then just make small maps. Don't limit yourself by concrete numbers. Your maps only SUFFER from it. The fact that all those maps fit in 1024-square doesn't make them any better.

IMHO, 1024-style is interesting only in mapping contests (I personnaly think that "Congestion 1024" was more than enough and we don't need more wads like it) and, sometimes, in single maps (more for fun than as something serious). But whole 1024-megawad by one person? Uuurghh... Sound more like an excuse for making mediocre levels.

Memfis said:

My FDA's (recorded in Prboom-plus 2.5.0.9.test with complevel 9) - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/945742

Advice: get rid of this 1024 limitation. If you want to make small maps, then just make small maps. Don't limit yourself by concrete numbers. Your maps only SUFFER from it. The fact that all those maps fit in 1024-square doesn't make them any better.

IMHO, 1024-style is interesting only in mapping contests (I personnaly think that "Congestion 1024" was more than enough and we don't need more wads like it) and, sometimes, in single maps (more for fun than as something serious). But whole 1024-megawad by one person? Uuurghh... Sound more like an excuse for making mediocre levels.

1. Thank you the demos!

2. Look, have you seen my previous WAD, Top Secrets of UAC? (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/52255-a-brand-new-megawad-top-secrets-of-uac/) Try it, and tel me, what do you think. Because I think, it was bad. I can't make any better, if I don't have any special rules. 1024-idea is a help for me. I can make more detail, but in the larger maps... I forgot that.

3. I want to finish, which I planned. I don't want to abandon the concpet in the middle, finally I want to finish something.

I think you shouldn't care about design too much on earlier 'stages' of your mapping career. Check out VILECORE: design is very simple, the levels usually use only 4 or 5 main textures, but it's still awesome. Why? Because gameplay > visuals. :)

On the other hand, willing to finish what you start is adorable. Good luck with your project!

Memfis said:

I think you shouldn't care about design too much on earlier 'stages' of your mapping career. Check out VILECORE: design is very simple, the levels usually use only 4 or 5 main textures, but it's still awesome. Why? Because gameplay > visuals. :)

On the other hand, willing to finish what you start is adorable. Good luck with your project!

1. Simplicity is not my style. I tried it, didn't works.

2. Thank you :)

So this is considered a megawad... the doomworld rules state then when submitting in a wad that it cannot be a part of a project. However, the doomworld link is right there. What.

Rambosee said:

So this is considered a megawad... the doomworld rules state then when submitting in a wad that it cannot be a part of a project. However, the doomworld link is right there. What.

KEEP QUIET! :Đ

MAP13 finished. The usual pictures in random order:

Now you can see only few pictures. Other parts of the level are surprise! ;)
(except you want to try it)

Now i don't want to seem mad or anything, but it looks like in the video you forgot to mention me in the title screen of the wad. =P

Rambosee said:

Hmm... is it just me or does it look like there is a little too much ammo in certain parts?

There aren't too much ammo because I put a lot of monsters :D

It's Katamori's general style. Sometimes you get tightened at ammo in a serious challenge, but all is because you didn't visit an alcove containing the necessary stuff for your best fight.

I played through this, and I think it has potential to become a good megawad, but there were a few things that messed it up.

-Exits weren't marked.

-Some doors didn't have lower unpegg set to the sides.

-Some sections of the map would be inaccessible after going to one place.

-Many of the maps start with you taking damage.

-MAP07 can be broken by staying in the starting room.

Processingcontrol said:

I played through this, and I think it has potential to become a good megawad, but there were a few things that messed it up.

-Exits weren't marked.

-Some doors didn't have lower unpegg set to the sides.

-Some sections of the map would be inaccessible after going to one place.

-Many of the maps start with you taking damage.

-MAP07 can be broken by staying in the starting room.

1. where? and what's the problem? as I saw, every exit works.

2. so what? I don't think that a big problem.

3. exactly where?

4. it's impossible. where?

5. what do you think about? I don't understand.

Grain of Salt said:

In MAP03, after going up the stairs to the imp room. I didn't think it was that important.

Aha. I've never tried to go back so I didn't know that.

Katamori said:

1. where? and what's the problem? as I saw, every exit works

I don't mean that the exit doesn't work, I mean that there isn't an exit sign near the exit switch. Many times when I was playing this I would come across a switch, and thinking that it would open a door or something like that I pressed it, and the level ended. Whenever I play a level I try to get 100% secrets and kills, so if I press the exit switch without realizing it beforehand I have to start the whole level over again if I want 100%. And BTW I don't save midlevel.

2. so what? I don't think that a big problem.

Yeah, this is a big problem. It looks strange when problems like this are seen. It really makes the author seem lazy/noobish when these are encountered.

3. exactly where?

Some points of no return:
-The exit room in MAP01.
-The exit room in MAP02
-Falling into the room before the trucks in MAP03
-Entering the sewers in MAP05
-Entering the damaging area in MAP06
-Entering the exit area in MAP06
-Entering the exit area in MAP08

4. it's impossible. where?

I don't mean instantly losing health for no reason, I mean starting a map getting shot, as in MAP02.

5. what do you think about? I don't understand.

If you stay in the starting room and just shoot when opening the door, the map is really easy.

I don't mean that the exit doesn't work, I mean that there isn't an exit sign near the exit switch. Many times when I was playing this I would come across a switch, and thinking that it would open a door or something like that I pressed it, and the level ended. Whenever I play a level I try to get 100% secrets and kills, so if I press the exit switch without realizing it beforehand I have to start the whole level over again if I want 100%. And BTW I don't save midlevel.

Okay, you're right. I'll mark exits.

Yeah, this is a big problem. It looks strange when problems like this are seen. It really makes the author seem lazy/noobish when these are encountered.

I'll try to finish that.

Some points of no return:
-The exit room in MAP01.
-The exit room in MAP02
-Falling into the room before the trucks in MAP03
-Entering the sewers in MAP05
-Entering the damaging area in MAP06
-Entering the exit area in MAP06
-Entering the exit area in MAP08

These were my plans. I don't want to change them.

I don't mean instantly losing health for no reason, I mean starting a map getting shot, as in MAP02.

Oh yes. Previously I put a Berserk pack in front of the player start. Later I replaced that for a green armor. It wasn't good idea. I'll put a berserk pack to the entering doors.

If you stay in the starting room and just shoot when opening the door, the map is really easy.

I'll add a new effect: when you enter to the main hall, the door close down behind you.

Thanks for helping. :)

Hy everybody again,

I wrote here a long time ago, because I made different things for Doom. Since a lot of things has happened:

I. I've already finished MAP14, but I worried about the opinions, so I didn't show that. Now, you can see:

II. I started MAP15, but I don't have any ideas, so now I finished the starting seed, and the start room, but nothing else.

III. I made a lot of changes since the last update, so now you can try the WAD now. Download link: http://www.freefilehosting.net/k1024

It contains the full episode 1 with updates, and MAP12, MAP13 & MAP14.

I hope you'll try it :)

IV. I get opinions and comments hardly ever. And now, I know why: my WAD is too average. There aren't any awful things - but also there aren't any epic, or different, or special, or anything. Is just an average 1024-WAD.
What do you think about that? Is it true?