Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomaddict666

Editing MAPINFO?

Hello, i'm new here.

I' am a total noob in editing and i have a big problem , so i hope you can help me.

I want to make two episodes for doom2
(Ultimate Doom stile)

The first episode should be all 32 doom levels and the second would be a nine level episode

How do i accomplish this in a hex editor or any editor for that matter?

How to add an additional (secret level) map to doom2 MAPINFO?

For example map 32 is a secret level, so the new added map would be map33 and also a secret level.

Basically what i want to do is make the above mentioned changes to a doom2 MAPINFO.

I have read everything i could find on this subject but i still don't get the MAPINFO editing :(

I'm using my own Doom 2 WAD BTW.

You don't need a hex editor to create a MAPINFO lump. This lump is simply a plain text file that you insert into a wad which can be read by some source ports. Hexen was the first engine to use this lump, but it has sort of evolved over time, meaning what you can do with it depends on which source port you are designing the wad for.

For ZDoom's implementation, you should either start here or open other peoples' wads that use MAPINFO and look at how they are done there. You might also do a forum search for "mapinfo".

boris said:

Have a look at the unofficial doom specs: http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/dmsp1666.html

With the information found there it's no problem making maps in a hex editor.

That's just mean. >:D

Doomaddict666 said:

How do i accomplish this in a hex editor or any editor for that matter?

Use a lump editor. For example, the beta version of SLADE3.
http://slade.mancubus.net/

Doomaddict666 said:

How to add an additional (secret level) map to doom2 MAPINFO?

There is no Doom 2 MAPINFO. It's all hard-coded. (Except of course for ports which externalized it.) Anyway, do not expect to open doom2.wad in the lump editor, and find a MAPINFO lump you can edit. There will not be one. Also, you shouldn't edit IWADs anyway. It's a bad idea.

Doomaddict666 said:

I'm using my own Doom 2 WAD BTW.

If you mean a custom IWAD, that's not a good idea, but whatever. You should do a custom wad file that contains only the stuff you added or changed, and load that in addition to a normal IWAD. Since you're talking of MAPINFO, a source port like ZDoom offers you clear and simple instruction on how you can autoload stuff so it's always there, and you won't be able to make the difference between that and a modified IWAD.

Doomaddict666 said:

The first episode should be all 32 doom levels and the second would be a nine level episode.

Let me guess, the first episode is called "hell on earth", and the second is called "no rest for the living"?

Doomaddict666 said:I'm using my own Doom 2 WAD BTW. [/B]

Really?

The WAD in my signature uses MAPINFO for these ends. I'm new to MAPINFO lump editing myself so it might not be the most elegant MAPINFO file you'll see but it should do the job.