Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Question about WAD editors...

Are there any WAD editors commonly used here other than Doom Builder that anyone can recommend? I think DB is a very good editor but I'm curious to see what other tools you guys might use are like.

There's DeepSea, which is more of an all-purpose Swiss Army knife of an editor. It's pretty old, but there was a new version released lately, haven't tried it out.

Most people probably use XWE for lump editing (sprites, sounds etc.) but for us too stubborn to learn using it, there's WinTex. There's some kind of a non-Doom related document editing program of that name too, so finding a download might be difficult. I got my WinTex from a strange foreign 90's site, animated .gifs and all.

That's from the top of my head. As far as I know DB2 is pretty sovereign in the field of level editing.

I like doombuilder 1 better than 2 so far. 2 feels a bit more web 2.0ish, like instead of just pressing 'r 90 enter' to rotate something, you have to press 'e' then deal with that cumbersome pop up side menu.

gggmork said:

I like doombuilder 1 better than 2 so far. 2 feels a bit more web 2.0ish, like instead of just pressing 'r 90 enter' to rotate something, you have to press 'e' then deal with that cumbersome pop up side menu.

What? No you don't, you can just drag the corners. It'll snap to 45 and 90 degree rotations, unless you hold shift for more precision. The side menu is only if you need to perform a specific numerical operation, like rotate 37 degrees, resize 150%, and move 32 units up.

I've yet to find anything DB1 could do that I can't do as easily or moreso in DB2, usually in a more robust way that gives me more power. I had to use a lot of stupid hackarounds in DB1 for things that DB2 lets me do easily and directly.

gggmork said:

Same here, even though DB2 did add some nice features I thought it overcomplicated some basic things that were simpler and faster to do in DB1. I also couldn't see the point for having the editing mode. Of course, even if I preferred DB2 I'd probably stick to DB1 because DB2 is slow on my laptop (but great on my desktop) and I map on both and don't want to switch between editors.

And I'm already so used to changing the sector references on sidedefs manually that when DB1 screws those up once in a blue moon, it's no big deal.

gggmork said:

like instead of just pressing 'r 90 enter' to rotate something, you have to press 'e' then deal with that cumbersome pop up side menu.

Although essel has a good point, I would still like to point out that you (or any programmer) can easily make a plugin for DB2 that does these simple operations the way you want them to be done. There are numerous open-source, well-commented example plugins that show how to code such plugins. If you can't make such a plugin, ask someone else that can do programming (and not me, I'm way too busy with DB2 itself already).

But this is a bit offtopic. To help the original poster better, here is a list of utilities that can edit different aspects of Doom: http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/utils/editors.php
The bold ones are the more 'active' or 'modern' ones that are still being updated.

I didn't know about the corner drag/rotate feature and was just being an ass complaining about something after only a few hours use (see custom title). I love db1 and appreciate giving such a great useful tool to the community, free and open source too. Might try a plugin someday.

CodeImp said:

Although essel has a good point, I would still like to point out that you (or any programmer) can easily make a plugin for DB2 that does these simple operations the way you want them to be done. There are numerous open-source, well-commented example plugins that show how to code such plugins. If you can't make such a plugin, ask someone else that can do programming (and not me, I'm way too busy with DB2 itself already).

But this is a bit offtopic. To help the original poster better, here is a list of utilities that can edit different aspects of Doom: http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/utils/editors.php
The bold ones are the more 'active' or 'modern' ones that are still being updated.

Thanks Code. Some of those editors look a bit interesting I must say.

Bear in mind that most of the links on that page (any to 3ddownloads.com) are no longer valid. Post a request in this thread for any you'd like to try but can't find.

Doomworld files hosted on AtomicGamer:

http://atomicgamer.com/directory.php?id=1533

Directory where the editing utils are found (files):

http://atomicgamer.com/directory.php?id=1568

GreyGhost said:
any to 3ddownloads.com

The ones there, yeah, and any files relying on file IDs for the URL. Files relying on their location and name get redirected properly, such as the demos on this page.