Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

GOP Blocks Repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell

AMAZING.

Senate Republicans, led by John McCain (R-Ariz.), have blocked the Senate from considering the defense authorization bill Tuesday afternoon. By blocking the bill from moving to the Senate floor, Republicans accomplish the objective of stalling the repeal of the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and blocking the Senate from considering the DREAM Act, which would give young, undocumented immigrants a pathway to citizenship if they enlist in the military or enroll in college.

Republicans objected that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) was limiting the number of amendments that could be offered. But Reid had pledged to work with Republicans to allow amendments. Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) took to the Senate floor following the defeat to condemn the GOP's "procedural ruse."

McCain, highest-ranking Republican on the Armed Services Committee, visited the Senate press gallery to celebrate blocking the bill's consideration, calling it a "blatant and cynical attempt to galvanize the Hispanic vote."

I am totally ashamed of this country and its complete lack of progress. I hope the GOP loses every seat there is possible to lose in November. Bigots and cowards. All of them.

exp(x) said:

What a bunch of trolls.

So did they block it to stick to hispanics, gays, democrats, or all of the above?

Mancubus II said:

So did they block it to stick to hispanics, gays, democrats, or all of the above?

Going with "All of the above".

It's okay. I never really loved this country anyway.

Praise the lord! Thank Jesus that there are still good god-fearing members in our government who will fight to stop the homosexual agenda. I know this isn't the PC thing to say in these dark liberal times, but I for one think that homosexuals should be locked up. They are a danger to the american public, and an affront to God.

Military members have bullets flying at them, and we're worried about someone's sexual orientation?

I reiterate: Show me ONE instance where the various nations under NATO that allow gay servicemembers have collapsed under pressure by homosexual acts.

You can't.

What I think is interesting is that the "Real" Tea-Partiers and the "Fake" Tea-Partiers are being identified by this issue. No ACTUAL fan of government reudction would applaud this at all. Fuck the GOP, and fuck McCain. If I could go back in time, I'd vote for Obama.

Why am I not surprised? That isn't to say I don't think they're all a bunch of cockmonglers.

lets remember this was just to debate the issue. You know where issues are debated and legislated. Amendments... but of course the conservatives don't even want to do that, they would rather just block everything.

The GOP believes that government can't help people. What better way to prove it than preventing government from ever helping people?

Aliotroph? said:

Another (predictably) sad day for America and the world.

No, just America. I'll just laugh and then go right out and buttsex a bunch of soldiers.

It's sad for the world because America used to be a leader in giving freedoms to people. Nothing good comes of the fact that a country with such big influence chooses to lag behind on rights and freedoms. Well, maybe the good is their influence has a chance of being lessened.

You know for supposedly the largest advocate of freedom, we sure do have a lot of people here who want the exact opposite while trumpting otherwise...

*Dems try to work with GOP
<GOP> Haha you're wimps and evil! We'll never work with you! You'll be out in november! Enjoy your ONE TERM PRESIDENT
*Dems work by themselves
<GOP> WAHH! You aren't involving us in the political process! We wanted to work with you! You'll be out in November! ENJOY YOUR ONE TERM PRESIDENT

The only advantage the GOP has is that they have a very good brainwashing team. Otherwise they bring absolutely nothing to the table.

Am I the only one that doesn't really give a shit? I don't see why don't ask don't tell is such a big deal. I don't see why you need to disclose that you're gay. It can only cause problems. People are homophobes and biggots so it's probably in the persons best interest not to disclose it anyway. They should really just expand don't ask don't tell to everything, including religion and race. Oh wait..

Hobomaster22, the policy isn't "you are not obligated to shout at the four winds that you're a faggot." It takes measures to discourage determining whether anyone in the military is gay (that is, it attempts to make closet gays of any homosexuals in the military) while banning anyone openly known for homosexual practices from service.

People are homophobes and biggots so it's probably in the persons best interest not to disclose it anyway.

Translation: Hey, there are some homophobes and bigots among us, so let's have a law abetting their designs in the most potentially repressive institution in the world.

myk said:

Blah

I know what it means, you misunderstood me. I don't see why anyone who is gay in the military would want/care to have anyone know they are gay in the first place. It certainly can't help. On religion, apparently it can be a problem if you're not a christian - but there's no law that you have to be a christian to be in the military.

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-07-08/us/atheist.soldier_1_tours-discrimination-bible?_s=PM:US

What if they discharged this guy? Can the same crap happen when you're known to be gay? Maybe. Whatever it may be, with all of the other problems in this country, I fail to see how this one is a priority.

hobomaster22 said:
I don't see why anyone who is gay in the military would want/care to have anyone know they are gay in the first place.

Whether it would or it wouldn't be of any benefit would be up to them, except it can't be because it would currently ruin their career.

Being gay openly without saying "I'm gay" is pretty much the same as saying it, as it becomes evident to anyone around the person.

Can the same crap happen when you're known to be gay? Maybe.

I don't think there's a law mandating religious affiliation. Even without that, there's still some discrimination. But the don't ask, don't tell policy pretty much mandates heterosexuality, giving legal weight to discrimination by sexual orientation.