Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorpal

Block Sound problem

I can't figure this one out :-(

I have two areas separated by an aqueduct of sorts, and I don't want all the enemies north of the aqueduct to wake up when the player is south of it. Thus have tried employing block sound flags to contain the sound, but everything still wakes up.

Example 1:
http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/example1.jpg

These sectors highlighted in yellow, show the route that sound may use to travel through the aqueduct and into the north section. I'm sure that they are the only ones, because if I close them off by setting their height to 0, monsters will not awaken when south of the aqueduct.

Example 2:
http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/example2.jpg

Therefore, since the sectors in Example 1 are the only ones involved in the path sound may take, I figure the way to proceed is to set the linedefs of those sectors as "Block Sound" - the ones I set are highlighted in yellow.

But, it doesn't work. Everything still wakes up, what the hell?

Maybe you've merged a sector on one side of the block with one on the other side, so sound travels through anyway.

They're all discrete sectors with unique numbers... is there anything else that might cause this problem?

A faulty blockmap can aggravate this issue iirc, try another nodebuilder, make sure to build reject tables too.

The block sound flag doesn't immediately block sound (as you'd expect), it requires TWO of them in the path of the sound to actually stop the sound waking up monsters.

It's like the first line with block sound flag will diminish the "sound", and the second line diminishes it to zero (stopping it).

andrewj said:

The block sound flag doesn't immediately block sound (as you'd expect), it requires TWO of them in the path of the sound to actually stop the sound waking up monsters.

Hm, I thought I did that. What's wrong with the way I've done it, are there not two block sound flags for each section?

Sometimes sound will travel around and back into an open window from far away. Try and be sure the main room you are trying to block sound from has no openings that do not have double sound block lines. and as mentioned the nodes rebuild may help as well.

A guess, but look at the middle one of the 5 sections (I'm assuming you meant green not yellow as the sound block lines)..
On the middle one, the sound might go over the first horizontal block line then it might go over the verticle nonblock line thus making the '2 block lines in a row' not count before going over the last block line.
If so, just add more block lines to the center so that can't happen if this makes sense. Like make those verticle ones block too might fix it.

What about that small hallway (or whatever) to the south-east? I see there is a teleport destination (or player start) there.

And the thin opening to the left of the aquaduct? Just noth-west of the human/imp?

Use3d: Ok, will try to run rmb, was getting a runtime error earlier with it... guess I have to emulate it in dosbox haha.

gggmork: Hmm yeah, though marking those vertical lines as "block sound" doesn't help. I don't think the block sound linedefs have to be "in a row" though, just as soon as a sound hits a total of 2 block sound linedefs anywhere, it stops traveling that route.

darkreaver: to the east is separate unconnected areas of the map, and to the west the aqueduct is closed off with one sided impassable lines.