Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Flip

Doom 1 *Ultimate Doom* no longer on XBLA?

Well, I happened to notice something while browsing the Xbox Live marketplace;
When searching for games starting with the letter D, I felt like something was missing:
DooM wasn't there, Doom 2 was, but not DooM 1.

So, seeing how this caught my interest, I decided to look under the "Arcade Hits" section,
another place where you could find the game. Not there either.
To be honest, I'm not disappointed as I already have the game,
but I'm still very confused as to why they would delist Ultimate Doom and keep DooM 2.

tl;dr Doom XBLA is gone but Doom 2 isnt.

What are your thoughts on this?

Gez said:

Have you looked at the letter U?

No, XBLA classifies it as just Doom as opposed to Ultimate Doom, as it shows on my game library.

Shame if this is true, as it was a good way to expose Generation Z and late Generation Y gamers to the classic game.

I already have it too, so I guess for me it isn't much of an issue too- but Chris is right, it was one of the only ways the newer generation of gamers could get into Doom...

Didn't find it either yesterday in both U and D. Only Doom II is left.
Hopefully it is an error from Microsoft.

Doom came out relatively early on XBLA. Do XBLA games have expiration dates for shelf life? Have you tried checking other older games? Is Duke Nukem 3D still up there?

Thats a shame if it is gone forever its quite a loss. I remember that being rather popular on xbox arcade. I knew atleast 1-2 people in real life with that full version on there xbox. If it is gone forever thats quite abit of cash going down the drain.

40oz said:

Doom came out relatively early on XBLA. Do XBLA games have expiration dates for shelf life? Have you tried checking other older games? Is Duke Nukem 3D still up there?

Duke 3D is still there yes.

40oz said:

XBLA Games do not have shelf life.
If that were the case, games such as Uno, Pac-Man CE, and others would be long gone, but they still live to this day.

It's possible that this is due to the ZeniMax buyout. XBLA Doom was published by Activision, who likely no longer hold the rights to distribute it.

Hopefully it's only been taken down temporarily, so the publisher information can be updated.

On the other hand, if Activision still holds the Live Arcade publishing rights, it's possible that it's gone for good.

Of course, id was bought by ZeniMax over a year ago, so it seems strange for this to be happening now. Could, I suppose, be related to the recent Arcade release of Doom II.

Either way, it's pretty disappointing- I just finished the XBLA version of Wolf 3D, and was looking to move on to Doom.

Seeing this thread scared me a little, as I just recently lost all the content on my Xbox hard drive (don't ask), and I hadn't gotten around to re-downloading all the games I had purchased.

Luckily for me, it was still in my download history, and I was able to download it despite that it's missing from the games list.

Oh my, then I got it just in time. I bought Doom about 3 weeks ago for XBLA. I finished all the achievements, woot.

KoiKitsune2006 said:

Doom sucks on XBLA. Its just better on the PC, even the PSX and Saturn port is better. I dunno, I just didn't like the XBLA version.

Why? I thought the port was extremely accurate with the exception of the random pitch variations in the soundfx which made things like chainguns, chainsaw, and plasma guns really annoying to listen to.

Several games are missing. I tried looking for Joust a while back and it wasn't up there. If XBL discountinues games after a certain period, that's bullshit.

I read somewhere (a while back) that games get taken off if they don't meat so many downloads over a certain period of time. Pretty weird that they'd do that, considering Doom 2 only came out not too long back and surely people who liked that would want to check out the original too!

For the folks I know Doom is kinda redundant when Doom2 is around. So maybe xbl-ass feels the same.

Cutman said:

I read somewhere (a while back) that games get taken off if they don't meat so many downloads over a certain period of time.

Makes sense to me. It's easy to run out of shelf space on the Internet, and Ultimate Doom is such a huge game that it's sure to be a burden to their servers' hard-drives.

Spoiler

Disclaimer for the sarcasm-impaired: I am making fun of Microsoft, here.

Gez said:
Makes sense to me. It's easy to run out of shelf space on the Internet, and Ultimate Doom is such a huge game that it's sure to be a burden to their servers' hard-drives.

Yeah, although if games imply any sort of potential XBLA service, software, hardware or legal support costs, they might have some kind of excuse for their policy.

_bruce_ said:

For the folks I know Doom is kinda redundant when Doom2 is around. So maybe xbl-ass feels the same.

One of my friends didn't want to download Doom 1 after I told him that the Doom 2 has more weapons and enemies. I doubt that most casual players notice much of a difference between the two games.

40oz said:

Why? I thought the port was extremely accurate with the exception of the random pitch variations in the soundfx which made things like chainguns, chainsaw, and plasma guns really annoying to listen to.

Yeah its accurate. But the PC version that we all play is just better. I only sought to get all the achievments instead. lol

Cutman said:

I read somewhere (a while back) that games get taken off if they don't meat so many downloads over a certain period of time. Pretty weird that they'd do that, considering Doom 2 only came out not too long back and surely people who liked that would want to check out the original too!

I was looking up robotron to play on XBL, but it was taken down too, though you could still download it if you had already purchased it before it was taken down.

Cutman said:

This was ultimately decided against, I think.

Coopersville said:

Several games are missing. I tried looking for Joust a while back and it wasn't up there. If XBL discountinues games after a certain period, that's bullshit.

Joust was removed because Midway (the publisher) exploded into a big gooey mess. Other games like Double Dragon have been removed for the same reason.

My bet is that Activision's rights expired. Nothing sinister.

Maybe I'm just being Australian, but I noticed while browsing the marketplace that Doom (as in the original, not Doom II) is no longer up there. I already have a copy so it doesn't affect me too much, but it's still a bit odd.

Anyone else seeing this?

(Merged)

If "Australian" means not finding older threads... I guess :p

Coopersville said:

See, for Joust, they HAD to remove it due to Midway selling off many of their franchises when they filed for Chapter 11, and thus meaning they had to remove their Xbox Live arcade games.

Now, the reason behind Doom's disappearance, is still a mystery.