Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nerukau

Looking for an old Doom I version

Hello.

I'm looking for an old Doom I version (at least I think it's an early version or somehow). Now what is the difference between the simple Doom 95 and the one I'm looking for? Well here are the two things I remember:

1) I'm sure that the menu's navigation point was some sort of an arrow, a shield or something with a blue/red color as I remember. Later on it was changed to the skull with glowing red eyes as on later dooms.

2) Not this one I'm not sure, I may have mixed up with some other game, but maybe I'm right.. So I somehow recall the shotgun guys were different. The model wasn't like in Doom 95 and later ons. It wasn't a bald zombie, it had something like - white/grey suit. Did I mix up or my memory serves me right after all?

3) There was one thing more.. When I ran the DOS version, I remember a blue color line before running Doom and the display of files or something, just before launching doom (don't know how this process is called). As I remember the Doom II dos version had red line.

The other things were the same as I think.. 3 episodes, when you complete the map, it shows which level-base you are on and which you will be the next level.

If anyone knows anything, please help :) I'm dying to find this version or whatever it should be called.

You can check the wiki to see if you can figure out which one it is.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II

Nerukau said:

1) I'm sure that the menu's navigation point was some sort of an arrow, a shield or something with a blue/red color as I remember. Later on it was changed to the skull with glowing red eyes as on later dooms.

This sounds more like Heretic (it used an arrow) to me, though.

hey, thanks for replying, but unfortunately I already checked all I could find including the wiki. But I didn't find.

One thing - it is certainly NOT HERETIC. I love this game too and I clearly rememeber it was Doom, because of the characters main face on the status bar.

It wasn't more of an arrow, it was more like a arrow/ACE shaped glowing shield or something like that. One thing is for sure - it wasn't the Skull, which happens to be everywhere I tried to find..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YTBTSsrqU

Are you sure you weren't playing a PWAD of some sort? I don't disagree that there were probably a blue background for that command line displaying the Doom title instead of red in the older ones; blue was a pretty dominant color, but even the early alphas started using the skull as a cursor before anything else. Also I can't seem to find evidence of zombiemen or shotgun guys being any different in color. It seems likes a pretty big change and I would probably have known about it.

Well, I might be mistaking for the riflemen that are white grey, but I certainly remember that there was something else than a skull on the menu as the navigation point. Let's say it might be a PWAD or somesort of "mod", but were there any other PWADS/WADS/MODS (sorry I don't know much about Wad's) like in 1996 (or it may be even 1995 or 1994)?

Nerukau said:

were there any other PWADS/WADS/MODS (sorry I don't know much about Wad's) like in 1996 (or it may be even 1995 or 1994)?

They were already in the 1000s by 1996 (and earliest specimens popped up in early 1994).

You probably had Doom v1.1 (for Doom I, with Blue line) and Doom II v1.666 (Red line) permanently modified by some sprite mod (as was the norm for most mods with graphics/sprites replacement).

Is there any way to retrace the Doom v1.1 version?.. There should be some archive or a database of old doom logs/wads/sprites etc. ...

There is actually a "downgrader" available which will downgrade a ultimate doom install (probably also normal 1.9) to doom 1.1, which can then be patched again to any version you want.

The downgrader can be found here, and from there patches should be available from the idgames frontend right here at doomworld.

About the blue line instead of the red line, that was there in the old days. The text also originally read "DOOM Operating System" but it was changed at some point

Well, I downgraded from Doom 1.9 to Doom 1.1 ..But I guess that wasn't the problem. The doom version I played had some other sprites, the main one -> the skull menu was changed into some sort of glowing arrow shaped shield or something.

Maybe there is an archive or something where I could find some old WAD's/sprites or something like that?

Oh! And maybe this may help as well - I'm not sure, but I think the exploding barrels had some different sprite than in Doom II (the grey barrael with the green slime). It looked somehow different, but I can't recall how.. Maybe any thoughts? Or atleast where I could download old Wad's

Definetely Not. I played this version again in 2000' somewhere. There are old disc games containing DOS games, and this version of Doom was in it, so no - it was not a dream.

And there are a lot of "repackaged" Doom's which are permanently modified and then passed around as "new games". You probably had a disk with a Doom perma-mod. Getting just the v1.1 executable itself is not so hard, what's hard is finding that mod without any more information e.g. was it for Doom 1, you chose episodes, E1M1 was the same etc.

As I rememeber - the missions were all the same. Ok, let's try again. The major things that were changed and as I remember:

1) Sure about this one. The skull logo in the main game menu was changed to an arrow shaped shield or something containing red/blue colors.

2) Not sure about this one. The exploding barrels looked differently than in Doom 2 and so on.

3) The shotgun guys/riflemen were different - not bald zombies, but wearing white or grey costumes or something.

4) Sure about this one. As you know if you don't start the game, and wait in the menu for like 10sec or less - demo of the game appears -> I clearly remember that the Episode 3 Level 6 was played quite much during the demo play.

5) All of the other things were the same - weapons, all other monsters, missions and everything else.

Anyone ring a bell maybe now? If not.. well guess I'm a goner then :(

Nerukau said:

Anyone ring a bell maybe now? If not.. well guess I'm a goner then :(

From the sounds of it it was just a graphics replacement applied to the Doom IWAD -before source ports, you actually had to permanently modify your IWAD to apply new sprites, unless you applied PWADs that contained ALL sprites without exception -some mods used the former method, some used the latter. Nothing to get too excited about, save for the nostalgia value.

Well I guess you helped me as much as you know :) Thanks everyone! If someone somehow finds the pwad/mod I'm looking for, write me a pm, will be grateful :)

thanks again!