Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

First time you played DOOM

In this thread we shall discuss our first-time DOOM experiences. I remember the first time I played DOOM it was on an old DOS computer with the PC speaker sound effects, shit gave me nightmares.

I don't know why but DOOM on a DOS computer/DOOM 95 on an actual Win95 computer always seemed creepier.

Now when I touch a keyboard the first keys they touch are left, right, control and alt.

My first experience was on the SNES when my computer didn't have 4MB RAM back in 1995 (I was 13 then) but a little bit later I got the Ultimate Doom CD, which I still have and is in very good condition.

With my first Doom and subsequent Dooming experiences, I would reach e1m4, get scared, smash in iddqd, see dad walk in and spot me with cheats on, watch him take the floppy disk out of the computer, confiscate it, then lecture me about cheating as a means to an end.

Marnetmar said:

I don't know why but DOOM on a DOS computer/DOOM 95 on an actual Win95 computer always seemed creepier.

Probably something to do with not being able to completely make out what's in front of you, but I know what you mean. Distant, unfamiliar bad guys that slowly materialize in front of you are scary.

I remember playing the original episode 1 on an old DOS and how much more challenging it was, no strafing, no free look, (no skill?) the best/worse part for me though was in E1M8 going up the lift and having the barons appear, was absolutely terrifying.

Hmm, I thought I remembered one, but maybe not. Well, when I first played Doom, I had no idea what it was. All I remember from a long time ago, was shoting these humans and brown monsters who I belived to be Aliens. Then they bleed as they died, so then I thought, thse are Aliens? When could aliens bleed? Eh, whatever. I finally figured out the name of the game when I got into Dark Forces. Now I love Doom for somereason.

first time I played doom was the doom1 demo for doom95 and I never finished e1m1 before I was 7 beacuse I was afraid of what was behind the big black/blue tech structure in the second room.

the barons scared me beacuse they never died and once I had a pathetic nightmare about it.

the atmosphere when playing first tine, 6 years old was AWESOME and thats why I still play it.

eargosedown said:

I was like 4.

And I was scared shitless.

Pretty much summed out my playing too...
Except it was DoomShareware on the "Doom and More" Demo disc for like... 6 games that had Jetpack, Doom, Squarez, HeXagon, God of Thunder, and some other one...

I was also something like 4 or 5...my parents decided I could be allowed to play Doom as long as the monsters were turned off. Unfortunately, it still scared me shitless, particularly E3...I think all the corpses and weird fleshy walls and rivers of blood and eerie music conspired to make the whole thing terrifying, even without demons (it's possible that the lack of demons actually contributed to the barren, deathly atmosphere.)

I wouldn't play the game for another 9 years. When I did, I was basically hooked instantly. :P

I played the flash version on http://www.vivalagames.com/.

Then I played the demo, I think it had been tampered with. All of the monster alert sounds were replaced with voices.

The first time I played the full version, I torrented doom.wad (I thought that Doom was abandonware and that I wouldn't be able to buy it anywhere) and ran it with the shareware exe. The demos were all messed up, I still haven't upgraded my wad. I started using zdoom after that so I obviously don't see the demos play anyways.

I think all of that was less than a year ago. The game's older than I am.

11 years old, my father gave Doom to me (I think the shareware first, later the full version). At the time I played games like Duke Nukem and Commander Keen so this was the first 3D game I saw (I didn't play Wolfenstein before Doom) and I was in total awe.

Yea it scared me at some moments, but what touched me more was the whole eerie ambience in the game. Especially after going through episode 1 and arriving at E1M8 where the "Now everything is doomed"-type of music plays, together with the level itself (not only the gate to hell at the end) it gave me that wow feeling.

But that was then. When I had a big imagination and what Doom lacked in detail (which wasn't lacking anything at that time) my brains made up for it. Nowadays this is nothing and games must wrestle with the hardware they get to make graphics by today's standards.

I attempted to download the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D from an online site. Which one? I can't remember. It was something like Compunet or something similar sounding along those lines.. For whatever reason, the shareware hosting site didn't have Wolf3D so I had my father download another shareware title from id Software -Doom.

I was 11 or 12 years old when I first played the shareware version. About 10 years later, I still play the damn game ;)

I first played Doom on the PC back in 1995 or 1996. It was at my cousin's house and they had the shareware version of it. I don't really remember too much of the experience anymore sadly.

First time I played Doom was in 1994 when doom2 had just came out, I was visiting my cousins and their father had new copy of doom2, my mind was blowed away when i first played it, their father allways had best gaming rig avaible back in the 90's

The first time i played was a while ago. like most people i thought it was scary and at one point i had to quit for a while because i kept getting nightmares. now i dont think doom is at all scary.