Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urric

My Archvile

I've been working on a new monster that can be used as archvile, I've already finished all the walk sprites, attack and death sprites will be done soon.

Here I post a sample, tell me what do you think.

Looks cool! That eye thing looks like it should be attacking. The fire over the player wont make sense. Some kind of electrical or static attack would be cool. Player would see their screen growing with electric charge instead of fire.

Actually some kind of mindmelting attack maybe. Some kinda of weird effect that replaces fire.

Cool! The posture, body type, and position of the eye/skull/whatever thing reminds me of Sachiel. Well, I guess it doesn't have the excessively long, swaying arms for that, but I digress..

Some of the edges could possibly use some slight darkening or something, to make it appear less jaggy. Looks awesome, though.

In regards to the walking animation, it seems to have a determined, "tough guy" walk like the baron's that I like. It doesn't have long strides like the Archvile, so maybe it shouldn't move as fast. It certainly looks creepy.

Very cool stuff! You've got some skill. If it's entirely from scratch, maybe consider contributing it to Freedoom once your done with it?

*edit*

Pfft, I just now noticed this is in the Freedoom forum :P

Catoptromancy said:

Looks cool! That eye thing looks like it should be attacking. The fire over the player wont make sense. Some kind of electrical or static attack would be cool. Player would see their screen growing with electric charge instead of fire.

Actually some kind of mindmelting attack maybe. Some kinda of weird effect that replaces fire.

More ideas about how it's attack could look?

I'd like to make it look a bit different from arch's attack

please....please make the death animation for that ugly (but awesome) lookin thing as cool and brutal as possible.

Its brain popping and all its guts spilling out...oh, I can replay that over and over.

Its what I love about DOS games, death anims :3

Dude, I will personally download freedoom for this...

can I..do stuff for it too? make maps, enemies, weapons (when I get good with weapons and monsters, though)?

That would be a dream come true.

OH OH OH HOW ABOUT A WOLFENSTEIN PROJECT LIKE THIS! AWE THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

yellowmadness54 said:

OH OH OH HOW ABOUT A WOLFENSTEIN PROJECT LIKE THIS! AWE THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

I don't know about Wolfenstein, but there is Blasphemer, which is a Freedoom-esque replacement for Heretic. I think it requires more graphics work than Freedoom does too.

BondEar said:

I don't know about Wolfenstein, but there is Blasphemer, which is a Freedoom-esque replacement for Heretic. I think it requires more graphics work than Freedoom does too.

ok well that had nothing to do with what I posted but I'll check it out, thanks.

EDIT: well holy cat in a microwave that looks assmazing!
I'll certainly give that a try.

After long time of beign abandoned, I have retaken this project, walking sprites are all done, but attack, death and heal sprites are yet to be made.

Here's a preview of attack

and some concept art

Oh man, this is some really excellent looking stuff. I can't wait to see it finished. I hope your able to finish it :D

Looking great so far! :) Only thing I'd recommend is that you change the fire color to be more yellowish. And a little electricity is nice, but I don't think the existing flame sprites should be changed, we always have to consider that mods may make use of the existing sprites, and if it uses the fire sprites for something with the intention of it looking like fire, then it should stay fire. PWAD compatibility is needed, I think.

Nice job on the death sequence; the animated sketch looks great, and so does the colored frame. I like the reddish aura around the attack frame too, and making it yellow would ruin the cool red-brown color scheme, I think. Also, Freedoom has been going in its own direction for a long time now, so I disagree that the attack should be flame-based in order to look appropriate in the few mods that reuse the sprites.

So how much is actually left to finish at this point? You said the walking animation is done, but I'm not sure if you mean all of the angles (a lot of work). I assume that the attack/death/heal sequences are all still under construction, but those attack frames could probably look alright in the place of the healing frames too, if need be. In any case, it would probably be a lot better than the placeholder Archvile thing that's in there now.

Walk sprites are done in all angles, attack just in one angle and death is all done, I'm still thinking about how the heal sprites will be done.

As another preview, here are some more sketches that i used to make the walk sprites

These look really good. One suggestion: the zombie sprites were also drawn by hand on paper, and it took quite a while to clean up the sprites because of light colored pixels on the edges (from the white background of the paper they were drawn on). They might not be as noticeable when you're editing the images but they really stand out when you load them into the game. It helps to view them against a black background because it makes them stand out more.

One Freedoom intent was to be usable as a replacement for the id IWAD for running PWAD. That should not be damaged.
Should make sure your sprites are the correct height and width to match the engine height and width, as that cannot be changed (no dehacked allowed). The current revenant is too tall and walks through doors with its head in the doorframe.

Urric, please keep the attack flame based, and don't listen to those who want a non-flame attack. This would be a serious problem for compatibility, and the existing flame sprites are JUST FINE. (as in, they look good and don't suck)

They need no replacement, and "Freedoom has been going in its own direction for a long time now" is absolutely no excuse to change things for the sake of changing them. To intentionally change the sprites fully knowing that this would break a few mods is very reckless, and should not be done.