Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Per-Scan

Help To Configure Strafe For Blake Stone?

I love Blake Stone but the one thing that really impinges upon my fun is the limited strafe control. I really want to use WASD style controls but I just can't get it happening. I've tried Auto Hot Key and I've even tried JoyToKey but nothing seems to work... :(

I have a vain hope that one day someone'll port Blake to a Doom engine but in the mean-time does anyone have any ideas as to how best to get single key (or controller button) strafing?

The problem with that is you can't strafe and turn at the same time...

I would think something like the dosbox keymapper would not work because it simulates actually holding alt+left or right, and thus mouse movement would just strafe....right?

^
That's correct. I'm really at a loss for what to try next but I'm sure there must be some kind of solution. An obscure W3D source port that plays Blake perhaps? :)

I think you're out of luck, unless someone hacks the executable to add them. I found a tweaked version of Wolf3D years ago that hardcoded strafe to A and D, but there you've got the source to work with. (Blake Stone's source was never released, right?) Like magicsofa already said, the in-game strafe option also makes the mouse strafe, unlike Doom, so you can't just set strafe to a toggle and leave it on all the time.

I think you're probably right. :( I've spent the day scouring the interwebs but just can't find anything that does the job. It does kinda surprise me that there isn't an all-in-one port a la ZDoom that can play most if not all W3D engine games with some modern implementations such as full strafing. I know that a lot of these games never had their sources released but neither was Strife or Doom 64 but new iterations are out there and these games must be way more complicated to backwards engineer/hack. I really wish I knew how to even begin (an admittedly huge!) project like that. *Dreams of ZWolf...*