Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Have you seen the Doom movie?

Graf Zahl said:

The movie was a total waste of time, both as a Doom movie and as a science fiction action movie.

Pretty much this.

Whenever I think of this abortion of a movie, all I remember is a lot of talking, and a short FPS scene at the end.

Even if they redid DooM to make it more "faithful" it'd still suck. Hollywood hasn't made a decent movie since the 90's.

DeathevokatioN said:

Hollywood hasn't made a decent movie since the 90's.

Every time I read a statement in this vein, it makes my head spin.

The Doom movie is kind of funny because in terms of video game based movies, it's probably in the top 10.

Snakes said:

Every time I read a statement in this vein, it makes my head spin.

It just feels to me that everything made in this century is just an uninspired rehash of a rehash with a big fancy million dollar production that has big name actors thrown in to distract you from a piss poor plot that borders on laughable, with horrible cgi.

I attempted to watch it, even knowing it was going to be bad. They got rid of the Cyber-Hell element for some reason. For neutral viewers who do not know the 'plot' of the game, this hell-in-space angle may of been somewhat original.

I've heard some good things about Pandorum too, though it is dipping below the 7.0 threshold on IMDB for me.

If you want to see the best of the film but don't want to skip through lots of crap you could do worse than picking up the DVD (it's cheap as chips) and just watch the 'special feature' that is the FPS scene. Watching it in isolation is the closest you'll get to the Doom feel in a film. In fact, if they had just released this scene on it's own as a mini feature it would've probably been a lot more successful! Come on JC and Co, just make an animated slaughterfest will you!? :P

I own the movie. It's not horrible, but it doesn't stay with the original doom story. Instead of the monsters being from hell, they throw in some bullshit that it all has to do with genetics.

"Oh yeah! They have the 13th chromosome! It makes them into super human beings or monsters! lawl!"

Thats the movie, pretty much, in a nutshell.

I saw it and it sucked real, real bad. So I'm gonna watch it again in the comfort of my own home and smoke mad bongs and drink mad beers. WORD

GreyGhost said:

I'm a cheap bastard who's waiting for it to turn up on free-to-air TV.

It was on FX Movie Channel a while ago, after the Crhonicles of Riddick, but it hasn't surfaced since then.

All in all, the Doom movie was more of a direct-to-video material, and IMO it didn't warrant a theatrical release. In fact, you're more likely to find it in the same TV air time zone as direct-to-video Steven Seagal and Dolph Lundgren action flicks.

DeathevokatioN said:

Hollywood hasn't made a decent movie since the 90's.

Why is everyone here stuck in 1993?

bgraybr said:

Why is everyone here stuck in 1993?

You didn't see Independence Day back in 1996, did you?

I'm wondering if anyone saying the movie was "Good" or "fine" if you ignore it's Doom heritage shares the main character's quality of having an "extra chromosome"

I've seen better, that's for sure.
I've seen worse, that's for sure, too.
'Nuff said.

The sad thing for me is that how hard can it be for Hollywood to make an action film with monsters from Hell killing people? But somehow they managed to even fuck that up... :( I never thought I'd say this but I wish EA had bought Id 'cause then they might've made a 'Dead Space' out of Doom in a media spin-off kind of way. So far, I think EA has done a great job expanding that universe. I can only imagine what they could've done with Doom...

Per-Scan said:

The sad thing for me is that how hard can it be for Hollywood to make an action film with monsters from Hell killing people? But somehow they managed to even fuck that up... :( I never thought I'd say this but I wish EA had bought Id 'cause then they might've made a 'Dead Space' out of Doom in a media spin-off kind of way. So far, I think EA has done a great job expanding that universe. I can only imagine what they could've done with Doom...

My own guess would be because of hard-core christian followers probably protested against a movie being strictly about hell. Doom has always been, even today, shoves the fires of hell into your face, and forces you to fight. So it probably has alot to do with religious beliefs. I'm guessing they didn't want any problems with those nut cases. Which I think is bullshit, but I could be wrong.

Reason why I am thinking that, long ago, religious idiots bitched in 1994 that Doom was about hell. I remember that vaguely though.

Good point. I never bought that the influence of "angry Christians" made the movie the way it is.

I'd say the reason a "Dantesque" hell is missing is because science (fiction) and "realistic" things are valued more than fantastic stuff these days.

Nomad said:
I'm wondering if anyone saying the movie was "Good" or "fine" if you ignore it's Doom heritage shares the main character's quality of having an "extra chromosome"

Prestigious studies have determined it more likely for people who take it too seriously or are annoyed by its lack of a stereotypical hellish environment share that quality. The proof is in the pudding [sic] if we consider they can't even use apostrophes correctly :p

KoiKitsune2006 said:

My own guess would be because of hard-core christian followers probably protested against a movie being strictly about hell.

A pre-emptive measure by the studio, more likely. Everything has to be sterilized for mass consumption. This is why we don't see more tits in movies.

The first person part was pretty much shit with the exception of the chainsaw vs. pinky scene which was pretty cool.

40oz said:

The first person part was pretty much shit with the exception of the chainsaw vs. pinky scene which was pretty cool.

I didn't think that scene was nearly as good as some reviews made it to be. Like everything idea in this film, it comes off half baked or lame.

st.alfonzo said:

Constantine?

The reason why I came to that conclusion is because Doom is a video game. When its a Video Game, people tend to bitch more. So if its a movie based on a video game, people tend to whine more.

Constantine was based on the comic Hellblazer, which makes it only marginally more socially accepted in the USA. :p

By making the creatures not demons, they removed one of the main premises of the Doom franchise. The alternate explanation they came up with for the monsters didn't make sense even in sci-fi terms, and they spent so long explaining it that it kills the pace of the movie. On top of that, there wasn't any real reason to relate to the main character, to the point that I can't even remember his name. The Rock gave such a half-hearted performance that it killed a lot of the scenes he was in.

The monster effects were well-done, but they were given too much surface texture so they looked like they were made out of veins, and their designs looked nothing like the iconic Doom monsters. I can understand that they wanted to tie in with Doom 3, but it made the creatures painfully generic. Similarly, they brought in the Martian plot from Doom 3 in a way that made no sense and would have been laughable if the dialog wasn't so boring.

Essentially the movie was so genericized and divorced from the Doom series that it would have been better off being released under another title.

The main Character was named John "Reaper" Grimm. HIs Call ID comes from the fact that his last name is Grimm.

As for the onster effects, I thought they were actually very cool, and probally would've looked cool in the games. Stan Winston studios is a god when it comes to creature features. (R.I.P. Stan Winston however.)