Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Best Musics of Doom WADs

Recommended Posts

I think that fish & chips taste better when eaten out of newspaper, and that the only reason I have longer toes is because I climbed too many trees as a child.

But if you're talking about the formating and the videos, then congratulations, you've done a pretty decent job. If you're talking about the music on the other hand... Hell, I'd rather just play the game!

Share this post


Link to post

The phrase "Best musics" is quite subjective. Although I like most musics of different DooM modifications, my special favourites are quite different from Katamori's or another else's. Well, he has a preferation for tunes he really loves.
If I hadn't been such a lazy moron I am, I would have published my own favourites as well.

Share this post


Link to post
st.alfonzo said:

I think that fish & chips taste better when eaten out of newspaper, and that the only reason I have longer toes is because I climbed too many trees as a child.

But if you're talking about the formating and the videos, then congratulations, you've done a pretty decent job. If you're talking about the music on the other hand... Hell, I'd rather just play the game!


ehmm...lol?


and thanks :) the main reason, which I made these videos, the next (so far) :

You heard a very good music in a WAD? You want to listen that all the day? But you can't get it? Now, you can! :D

Share this post


Link to post

Imho doom's background musics should not be separated from the game, because most of those were intended purely as a tune in the background of doom's gameplay, instead of being "standalone masterpieces".

Share this post


Link to post

I think these would work better as compilations...instead of playing the entire track, you play snippets of several good tracks with the levels playing in the background. As awesome as some of your picks are, it would be nice to see a few of the other good ones as well since everybody has different favorites, not to mention the fact that most game music tracks, even the good ones, are pretty repetitive and for the most part a good minute of the track will do it justice.

Also, get Equinox in there! :D

Share this post


Link to post
j4rio said:

Imho doom's background musics should not be separated from the game, because most of those were intended purely as a tune in the background of doom's gameplay, instead of being "standalone masterpieces".

Bullshit. Doom's tracks are standalone masterpieces as well as background music.

Share this post


Link to post

I listen to NT map04 music almost daily :P

stars.mid is a great tune, and is definitely well made, but has nothing to do in Doom imo. More like a anime piece of crap game.

Share this post


Link to post
j4rio said:

Imho doom's background musics should not be separated from the game, because most of those were intended purely as a tune in the background of doom's gameplay, instead of being "standalone masterpieces".


Agreed, music should not be what you remember a level for, it should just be playing along quitely in the background not blaring out obnoxiously so that you have to turn the music volume down.

j4rio said:
Also, get Equinox in there


the music from the last level definitley

Share this post


Link to post
Foodles said:

Agreed, music should not be what you remember a level for...


D_E1M8

I'd say to keep making the videos. You only just advertised them here so they are sure to get more views.

Share this post


Link to post
chopkinsca said:

D_E1M8


I would say that the Baron fight was more memorable than the music, the music was a nice companion piece and helped to build the atmosphere but in the end it was just a side dish to the real meat of the level

Share this post


Link to post

o thanks guys

darkreaver said:

More like a anime piece of crap game.

Never played any anime games, no idea how their music goes, so I don't know if this is a compliment or not.

Also, I say ANY music can fit in Doom, if the level theme matches the music theme.

Foodles said:

Agreed, music should not be what you remember a level for, it should just be playing along quitely in the background not blaring out obnoxiously so that you have to turn the music volume down.

I kinda disagree with this, but that's probably because I'm much more interested in the music aspect of games than the gameplay aspect. I tend to remember levels/games/etc for their music most of the time, and quite often I load up wads I've never properly played, just to hear their music.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

Doom's tracks are standalone masterpieces as well as background music.

Actually, can't say I totally agree with either. Some tracks are decent enough to be played outside of the map they were designed for, sure, but none of the them were really intended to be played stand alone. In consequence, it isn't really background music either, because it's designed not only to set the mood, but to set the pace and intensity of the player's movements.

Unless of course that's precisely what you meant, in which case I'm just throwing water over a wet towel, and should humbly throw myself at your feet and beg for forgiveness instead.

Share this post


Link to post

I can't agree more with stars.midi. Seriously that damned tune just can't get out of my head. My jaw and teeth has a mind of its own and clacks to the intro beats!

Share this post


Link to post
stewboy said:

Never played any anime games, no idea how their music goes, so I don't know if this is a compliment or not.


Hehe, as I said, its a very good tune! Sounds really professional, but I dont like that kind of music in Doom. Its too happy...or something :P

Share this post


Link to post
darkreaver said:

Hehe, as I said, its a very good tune! Sounds really professional, but I dont like that kind of music in Doom. Its too happy...or something :P

Well, it certainly suited the secret level in SoD. Aren't people meant to feel happy they're playing the secret level? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Joshy said:

Well, it certainly suited the secret level in SoD. Aren't people meant to feel happy they're playing the secret level? :P


Hahah, great comeback! :)

Share this post


Link to post
st.alfonzo said:

Unless of course that's precisely what you meant, in which case I'm just throwing water over a wet towel, and should humbly throw myself at your feet and beg for forgiveness instead.

Well, I think that was what I meant, but please do NOT beg to me or do anything like that :)

Why I was angered by that post before mine? Doom's music actually is quality enough to be listenable independently. Compare with Strife's music, which most of it (except a few) is just a few repetitive beats, which are kinda boring when listened by themselves without robots and acolytes to be on the lookout for.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

Why I was angered by that post before mine? Doom's music actually is quality enough to be listenable independently. Compare with Strife's music, which most of it (except a few) is just a few repetitive beats, which are kinda boring when listened by themselves without robots and acolytes to be on the lookout for.


I said "imho", just an opinion, nothing else. Indeed doom's music is quality enough to be played independently, I have playlist of background musics as well, but it's just a minority among the enormous load of created musics for wads. Maybe 5 tracks in it are from the official iwads which contain over maybe 50 tracks together. Some I considered nice however turned out to be entirely different than what they are when played during the gameplay, it just didn't have the "damn that music is awesome" feeling outside doom.

Share this post


Link to post
doomero-21 said:

doom3

I love both Doom 3 main menu musics <3 It's all that game has. I would like to see some day a MIDI (or MOD?) version of Doom 3's heavy metal music into Doom 2.

Share this post


Link to post

As 4 music, I really love WAD author-made, brand new music, unless if it's a boring shit using most of 5 pitches and keeps repeating itself in every 15 seconds. However, I still appreciate copyright, so I wanna be a composer instead of being a thief - if ya know somebody who can help me with suggestions how to start making MIDIs and what programs I'm supposed to use, pls. inform him! (Well, it was OFF, but I'd be grateful if somebody did this favour for me.)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×