Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Revenants.

I still think Revs are cool.
- Quite low health related to their horrendous missiles and punches
- Can easily provocate monster infights (homing missiles rulz!)
- Can easily beat HK's, Arachnotrons, Mancubi or even BH's!
- Their walking style is pretty funny. Also their voices when they're just wandering - how do you expect a SKELETON to ROAR on such a voice? :D

Cell said:

I still think Revs are cool.

*sigh*. Obviously, the message isn't getting through to some people. That "voice" you're hearing isn't just the turbulent, hollow echoes of the infinite damned. It's much, much worse...

While listening to a wildlife documentary the other day, I was quite surprised to discover that the Revenant is in fact belonging to a certain family of avian variety. Specifically, the Revenant (or Scoticacorvus haemapantus) is related to the carrion bird, and various other forms of raven, but may only be found natively within the highlands of Scotland.

Typically the Revenant only grows between two to three inches in height, but it adapts to its surroundings by slaughtering other birds, as well as any trespassing Englishmen, and constructing a chassis from the bones of the victim in which it may thrive (within the bone marrow). Hellspawn have taken kindly to this natural trait, and offer a healthy surplus of human and demon body parts in exchange for partnership in war...

Listen carefully for his caw.

And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Revenants are not cool. They are the most satanically evil entities ever to set foot on the verse.

...Still, they're really versatile!

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I'm always wary of adding Revenants to my maps, simply because I'm afraid of the feeling that I'm adding an overused monster. But they're so damn handy in almost any situation that it's hard not to add them.

I certainly don't mind fighting them. Swarms of them will take out/weaken cyberdemons, and their homing missiles certainly cause trouble in the ranks.

I didn't know there was such a thing as an overused monster. I say if it works it works.

Certainly the most disciplined monster in the game. I always find myself in instantaneous Rev fire - Close or long-ranged attack. As well as it's quite intimidating, it got my vote as my favourite.

Although, I think they're used to fucking well by mappers. People are just sick using these Skeletors. =E

Nevan said:

Certainly the most disciplined monster in the game.

I'm telling you, with that posture and swaggering he would be constantly on report on any self-respecting army. Let alone the constant, un-soldierly hunching, the bad state of the uniform, of which it wears only the upper half BTW....AND WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME IT SHAVED, EHHH?!

A fun thing I used to do was to try and get a bunch of revenant missles to track me, and then run behind a monster (like a manc) somewhere on the map and watch the missles barrage the living crap out if it.

So satisfying.

I never had a problem with Revenants, but chaingunners caused me testicle annoyance the first time I played Plutonia.

Spidermastermind also frustrates me but in the opposite direction, I wish it could be more of a challenge. Even the SMM from "hard doom" mod isn't much of a treat if you have the proper tools.

I love revenants too, the most funny part is to fight them with a punch while you got berserek so 2-3 punches and they die, however too many revnenants in one place its so annoying.
For example scythe map 24 I think- the part that you take the elevator and there are like 20-30 revenants up there.
Scythe level 30- Fire And Ice: revenants are coming in large groups combined with arch viles so they're more annoying in this case.

Marnetmar said:

I'd like revs alot better if they made them look more like the original model...

Just my idea, but probably their ribcage and chest would look like ass when downscaled (hell, just see what the legs looks like in the actual sprite).

Hmm... the manual states that Revenants are KIA demons reanimated and given some armor. But what is the original "demon"? Looks like a tall human skeleton, more like. In before hilarious jokes involving black b-ball players.

The game engine considers revenants to be 56 units tall (same as the player) so the extra tall sprite's probably an oversight.

I gave them less mass in DoomBeyond, since it's just a skeleton after all. Rockets can send them out of your way.

GreyGhost said:

The game engine considers revenants to be 56 units tall (same as the player) so the extra tall sprite's probably an oversight.

I think it's more likely the other way round, they drew the sprite deliberately tall, but they forgot to update the hitbox size in the engine. Or they added the monster definition and its hitbox size for testing purposes before it had been drawn and forgot to update it afterwards. Archviles are similarly taller than players and imps but have height of only 56, I think they're both meant to have higher hitboxes.

Maybe it's done for balancing reasons, so they're more of a threat to the player than the biggish knights or cacodemons. Also, both revenants and archviles are thin, probably the designers wanted to assume that they bend themselves to go through small tunnels, but didn't do the graphical implementation for that.

RjY said:

Archviles are similarly taller than players and imps but have height of only 56, I think they're both meant to have higher hitboxes.

It answers the question why I really hate Archies.

Vegeta said:

Spidermastermind also frustrates me but in the opposite direction, I wish it could be more of a challenge.

have a run of scythe2 map23, that opinion will be different shortly ;>