Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stroggos

Voxel Doom Port!

Hmmm, the imp is actually looking better than I thought. If you get the side view fixed somehow, it might be worth a shot!

reaperman said:

I could make the armor helmet pick up if you would like. I could probably get it done in a day or two from now.

Yes please, that would be great. Whatever I try, my attempt keeps looking like it's suffered a blunt trauma, heh. It looks okay from the front, but it's decidedly wonky from any other angle. :/

Creating additional angles using voxel models is a really good idea.

The Imp looks good so far. Making the other frames will be tons of fun ;)

Edit:

I have made progress, first frame is done and ready to go, ill finish the other frames up and give you a download for the helmet, chaingun and better version of the chainsaw i made last night (i call it chainsaw2.0).

That's the spirit! :) If I am not mistaken, the chaingun is actually the only pickup weapon we are still missing, then all of them are voxelized. I am curious how you guys wanna approach the powerup spheres.

Is there any way powerup spheres could use transparency? If there was a semi-transparent outer sphere and an inner sphere with the "contents" like intended by the sprites, it would look so much better than wrapping the sprite around a single sphere.

sector666 said:

Is there any way powerup spheres could use transparency? If there was a semi-transparent outer sphere and an inner sphere with the "contents" like intended by the sprites, it would look so much better than wrapping the sprite around a single sphere.

Not to my knowledge. I'm sure the idea was floated before and shot down for reasons I can't recall. Would be great if we could though.

reaperman said:

I have made progress, first frame is done and ready to go, ill finish the other frames up and give you a download for the helmet, chaingun and better version of the chainsaw i made last night (i call it chainsaw2.0).

I'm still drooling over the first one, how could you make it any better? :D

phi108 said:

Imp frames

Awesome stuff, is it as time-consuming as it looks?

I could imagine the voxel enemies will be a pain in the butt. Guys over at the 8x highres sprite project already have a hard time with the 2d versions. Making it 3d must be insane. However, with some motivated people you might be able to pull it off anyway. (Hoping for it.) :)

Curious what will look better in the end - voxel monsters or highres sprites. Same with HUD weapons. If we ever get that far, that is. Would rock. Most importantly, something happens. ^^

DooMAD said:

Not to my knowledge. I'm sure the idea was floated before and shot down for reasons I can't recall. Would be great if we could though

Well as i recall you can't do transparency with voxels.

Perhaps a mix? Make the face using voxels and then overlay a transparent sprite of an empty blue sphere.

I guess if the sphere animations are solved similar to the automap pickup, it will have to do. Doubt you can do too much with voxels. Anyway, any solution which still looks cool in the end will do. :)

Tried an experiment with the Soul Sphere to see what would happen if I made a flat one and spun it really fast in the hope it would create the illusion of a sphere.

The result was pretty horrific; it looks like it's having a fit. Back to the drawing board, heh.

Can't you just make it like the voxel automap? It won't look like there's a face "trapped" inside the sphere, but at least it will be animated (even if it's only the surface and probably won't look as good as a highres sprite or proper model).

I just had an idea. Maybe it would work to have a hollow sphere with a hole over where the face would be. You get a 3d sphere that way, except for the hole. But you're also able to see the 3d face inside through the hole.

It's a compromise since the sprites don't suggest a hole in the sphere. But it looks like some kind of compromise is going to necessary here.

I know that the armor bonus was always a medieval styled helmet but is it possible to have a voxel version of doom guys helmet as the armor bonus?

Avoozl said:

I know that the armor bonus was always a medieval styled helmet but is it possible to have a voxel version of doom guys helmet as the armor bonus?

I could make a voxel version of the doom marines helmet, but then it wouldn't really be the armor bonus. So i won't.

reaperman said:

I could make a voxel version of the doom marines helmet, but then it wouldn't really be the armor bonus. So i won't.

I just thought it would make more sense and that it wouldn't hurt to have it as an optional extra but it doesn't really matter anyhow.

Great! Can we expect an update for the voxelpack on the homepage soon, then? :)

And maybe someone can check if the switches work for you in latest GZDoom releases, I still can't see them. Maybe it has to do with some settings?

The switches will only work in the demo level; because you can't actually replace textures with voxel actors.

NightFright said:

Great! Can we expect an update for the voxelpack on the homepage soon, then? :)

Done! Updated zdoom_vox.zip here.

Awesome work, reaperman. :)

This stuff --> EXCELLENT!

Only suggestion:
Maybe name the test map differently so that it doesn't screw up ENTRYWAY in Doom II (or any other normal level). :)

NightFright said:

This stuff --> EXCELLENT!

Only suggestion:
Maybe name the test map differently so that it doesn't screw up ENTRYWAY in Doom II (or any other normal level). :)

Yep, once we get all the pickup sprites done, we'll do a semi-official release with no maps in there. Switches won't be included though, sadly.

What are we missing now anyway?

Also something still needs to be done about the light amplification visor, it still looks weird. :/