Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stroggos

Voxel Doom Port!

<3

Csonicgo said:

Limiting your options by clinging to an out-of-date OS I have no sympathy for. Sorry. Yes, I used win95c at one point but it was on the era hardware for it.

WinXP Pro and Win2000 are pretty much the damn same anyway (sans some GUI tweaks here and there) so I really don't get it. As Memory Usage is not even a factor with new computers, I don't see using win2000 anymore. Or even winXP, for that matter.

How do you suggest he acquires such a modern and expensive operating system capable of running his choice voxel-editing program?

Certainly not by piracy, I hope, as that is morally reprehensible. :)

iori said:

How do you suggest he acquires such a modern and expensive operating system capable of running his choice voxel-editing program?

Uh, well since XP has been out since 2001 I say maybe some pennies between the couch?

reaperman said:

Time to cut some flesh!!!!!

*chainsaw pic*

Damn sexy!

/me looks for some tissues

Seriously though, that's definitely one of the hardest sprites to convert to a voxel because it's drawn at a weird angle, so that's a really fantastic job. Well done. Wouldn't have been able to do it myself.

//EDIT: Minor progress on the BFG:

DooMAD said:

//EDIT: Minor progress on the BFG:

Shouldn't the gyro-mount appendage thingies be further apart so they accommodate Doomguy's shoulders?

Heh, I'm a little late to this party but...

DooMAD said:

...Paint3D looked like the answer to all my problems...

If you could find a way to get ahold of the full version of Paint3D and make it run, then I highly recommend it. I grabbed the trial version (which unfortunately doesn't allow saving) and it really is Paint in 3D. Within 20 seconds of launching the program, I could tell you where most of the options are and what they are used for. A single voxel would probably take 15 minutes at most for anybody with spriting experience. Compare that to slab6, which I couldn't figure out how to use well if you paid me. (Actually, this happened with another one of Ken Silverman's tools as well. Not my favorite developer as far as tools go.)

Really, with Paint3D, I would bet it would have taken you a week or two to finish the entire project. Unless you throw in the monsters, anyways.

phi108 said:

and the inside of the basket should probably be shaded differently.

Oh God the baskets. Most of the creepier secrets in Wolfenstein3d were marked by baskets.

Because it started as a port-related discussion before it changed into the Doom Voxel Project update thread.

And it may very well get back to source port discussion if Stroggos resumes his project of writing voxel code for Eternity.

I just found this, is there a website or main download for this yet? I really don't want to look through 15 pages of thingy.

Doomad puts a download link in each and every one of his update posts. Right above the screenshots. Three posts above yours. :|

Regarding voxtures: I understand the reasons they would be problematic for Doom's complex architecture, but what about voxtures for the GZDoom Wolfenstein 3D TC? The architecture is very basic, and it seems like voxtures would not cause problems. The only issue I can foresee is with the pushwalls, which are models. Any thoughts on this?

jute said:

...but what about voxtures for the GZDoom Wolfenstein 3D TC? The architecture is very basic, and it seems like voxtures would not cause problems. The only issue I can foresee is with the pushwalls, which are models. Any thoughts on this?

The voxtures demo actually loads in GZDoom now (pic below), because of fixed precaching stuff, but it's very slow, and that demo is only one sector with no height variation, not as complex as a Wolfenstein level. Maybe a stronger computer that can handle many more polygons could do a Wolfenstein level with them, but not mine.

And pushwalls (as the model ones in the TC currently work), are doable, because the pushwall actor could just have a cube voxel model applied to it. If they are all converted to polyobjects, though, that complicates it.

phi108 said:

The voxtures demo actually loads in GZDoom now (pic below), because of fixed precaching stuff, but it's very slow, and that demo is only one sector with no height variation, not as complex as a Wolfenstein level. Maybe a stronger computer that can handle many more polygons could do a Wolfenstein level with them, but not mine.

That's too bad. Would the fact that Wolfenstein maps use only 64x64 textures help?

Is there a link to the voxtures demo?

For what it's worth, the voxtures.wad + voxel_test.wad runs smoothly on my (5-year-old) PC, even after summoning 20 cyberdemons. The initial loading time is longer than the average Doom map, but not terrible. Everything looks quite nice too. I suspect it would be feasible for Wolfenstein maps. Perhaps AZADoomer's MAPTOWAD program could be updated to optionally add the voxtures automatically when converting.

Yeah,works good on Zdoom but voxtures.wad runs very slowly on GZDoom.Its possible for making this running smoothly on GZDoom?

Voxtures are a first grade performance killer on OpenGL. I doubt that this will ever work smoothly.

Voxel sprite replacements are less of an issue but too many of them still can cause problems.

Actually, I should have mentioned that I was running GZDoom. I really didn't have any problems with speed, and my PC is not especially powerful. On that note, is there a console command to display FPS? I couldn't find one on the ZDoom Wiki.

vid_showfps IIRC. Either that or r_showfps.

GZDoom also has a "bench" console command

"I really didn't have any problems with speed"

Wierd,i turned off dynamic lights and same thing.How do you do that?

Thanks, Gez. The first two commands didn't work, but bench did. For whatever it's worth, here's a screenshot of me playing with voxels and voxtures at 1680x1050 and getting 21 FPS. I had Firefox running in the background, which probably adversely affected my FPS. http://www.jeshimoth.com/21fps.png I guess 21 FPs isn't exactly perfect, but it's certainly playable. My PC is five years old and I was running GZDoom at my max resolution. I assume that newer PCs and/or lower resolutions would do much better.

I got 17 FPS with dynamic lights.Doesn`t matter if i turn graphic options on or off.Its always the same.

Pardon my bump, but has this project had any new progress so far, or have things just come to a standstill?
Only curious since I've really been looking forward to where this is going.

I was a bit lazy in March and spent most of April on holiday, will hopefully start working on things again soon.

Sadly it seems the Ken Silverman voxel forum on JonoF's has since closed down due to excess spam. Was quite a useful resource for help with Slab6 and the strip2voxel utility we've been using.

Do you have to warp to a certain map for the voxtures.wad?

edit: Never mind had load order of wads backwards.

How's this coming?

There's a new voxel-based game out called Voxatron that comes with a nifty-looking voxel editor. But it's made specifically for the game. Don't know if it can be of any use.