Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stroggos

Voxel Doom Port!

Spleen said:

from what you are saying - the one with a decent interface can't even load palettes! Are you seriously saying I have to type in all the palette colors each time I open it?? Or is there some way I can type in all 256 palette colors once and never have to do it again?

That's how I've been doing it, heh. Haven't found a way to get it to save a palette, but it does have a colour dropper tool you can use once you've placed a voxel of that colour.

Spleen said:

I've also looked into commercial ones like Paint3D and 3D Coat. What do you think about them?

Haven't tried either. Might be worth looking into, although it depends what format they save in. I thought we were screwed originally when Voxel3D only saved in V3B format, but luckily Ken Silverman made a converter for us to turn them into something usable.

//EDIT: zdoom_vox.zip updated with less crashyness and more spinnyness.

Various posts on patents deleted or edited to remove that topic. I noticed a mod had deleted Porsche Monty's post per a policy we have, which was in the meantime replied to, continuing his intervention. Porsche Monty aka WOG (or any of the other accounts he made or may make) is not allowed to post except about more neutral DOOM specific topics. This is because of a combination of a lack of civility and the use of proxies to avoid bans. So if you find posts by him on more general, political, cultural or social topics, ignore them, especially if they make inflammatory comments. They will be deleted and so will your replies.

DooMAD said:

//EDIT: zdoom_vox.zip updated with less crashyness and more spinnyness.

It's nice that we can spin things, and it's fine for keys, but it looks rather stupid on everything else.

honestly this is probably one of the top 10 best things to happen to doom EVER! I love this project and I love how the pickups spin, although it would make more sense that pickups that are already on the map DO NOT spin (with the exception of keys and spheres and such) but pickups that an enemy or player drops DO spin, it would be badass! But in my opinion, the voxels look so great and at the same time they fit doom perfectly, .md2 models in doomsday just makes doom not look like the classic doom, but the voxels seem to fit perfectly.

Dee said:

.md2 models in doomsday just makes doom not look like the classic doom, but the voxels seem to fit perfectly.

That's more a question of the models' quality than the format. I never had the feeling that the people who created them care much for Doom's visuals so far too many just are off.

Gez said:

I'm not sure voxel enemies would look correct, either.

yeah agreed forgot to mention that lol. enemies and the first person sprites should remain sprites. Now the next thing that would be really interesting is voxel textures... :D could work out like bumpmapping for zdoom, it would look cool I think.

Graf Zahl said:

That's more a question of the models' quality than the format. I never had the feeling that the people who created them care much for Doom's visuals so far too many just are off.

yeah agreed, they look really low quality and the animations are so computer generated and smooth, i never like the original .md2 monsters, although there have been some good doomsday mods that pull it off with custom models

Like every other important extension, it will go to waste if no talented artist comes up with something worth looking at. How many good (down-to-earth good, not mediocre crops from screenshots) hires sprites have you seen lately?

If you mean "hi-res recreation of Doom's original monster sprites", then the answer is 0.8. (That's one single, unfinished sprite.)

For pickups and decoration sprites, though, I have seen very good ones.

And for TCs I have seen good sprites too.

The other thing to consider is that in the case of voxels, you've got a chicken-and-egg problem: without voxel models, port developers have no interest in adding voxel support. And without engine support, voxel artists have no interest in creating models.

(The fact that the only existing implementation of voxels for an FPS game is under a license incompatible with the license of the majority of source ports did not help, either.)

Gez said:

(The fact that the only existing implementation of voxels for an FPS game is under a license incompatible with the license of the majority of source ports did not help, either.)

Yeah but half of the port authors in the doom community don't give a shit about licenses to begin with, so why should that matter?

I would agree with the chicken-and-egg prognosis if it weren't for the fact that - GL DOOM ports have supported 3D models for over a decade and we are still using the models created by Team SOG for an old Quake TC.

The only real problem at the moment is the Voxel editors themselves. Neither Slab6 or Voxel3D are ideally suited to the work for various reasons. I'll have to give some other ones out there a try to see if there's anything better.

John Smith said:

Yeah but half of the port authors in the doom community don't give a shit about licenses to begin with, so why should that matter?

That's very bad.

Updated the test wad in zdoom_vox.zip again. Finished two more ammo pickup items, the single rocket and the box of rockets. And the two plasma cell pickups are also included this time (not sure how I forgot them in the first one). Exl put together a little utility to fix the offsets of all *.kvx files in a folder, so I've updated all the other items as well so they aren't rendering under the floor level now.

//EDIT:

Updated yet again with the new SVN Build (cheers again to Exl). See Changelog for details.

Csonicgo said:

Wow, that's really cool. I take it the BFG will be quite difficult?

Yeah, I honestly haven't got a clue where to start on that one. Also still having trouble with the chaingun, as it's actually a geometrically impossible shape. I'm sure it's supposed to have either 6 or 8 barrels but there's only room for 4, heh.

Per-Scan said:

Pretty exciting stuff. What's left to 'voxelise' now, then? :)

Still to do:

Pickups:

Chainsaw
    BFG
    Computer Map
    Radiation Suit
    Backpack (found one that Ghostpilot started but it's not coloured in)
    Skull Keys (started the red one)
    Armour Helmet
    Blue Armour
    Green Armour (started)
Not too sure about the sphere pickups. They're not really suited to voxel conversion, as on the Soulsphere it looks like you're wrapping the face around the sphere, rather than it being a face inside a sphere.

Then if we decide to do scenery as well:
    All the different torches, tall/short, red/green/blue
    Various Gas Lamps
    That floating eye thing
    Floating Skulls
    Various columns
    Trees
    Flaming Barrel
    Various hanging bodies / Floor gibs
    Candleabra

And if that ever gets done, then ALL OF THE MONSTERS and projectiles, which could potentially take forever. Also some of the projectiles will have the same problem as the sphere pickups, with the brighter bit in the centre of the projectile appearing on the surface of it.

So if anyone wants to get involved and claim a few items... <cough> HINT HINT </cough>

That's a fair bit still to do! As far as the spheres go, maybe you could make them spinning discs? I know that would make the Soul Sphere and the Mega Sphere misnomers but at least you'd be able to easily get working models... :)

I would love to help but I wouldn't even know where to begin making a voxel model. Good luck finding someone who does know what they're doing though. :)

PS: Just as a slightly OT thing: Did you know that there is a similar project going on just now for ROTT? If you're interested check out this link:

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38182

Maybe you could contact him and see if he'd be willing to help you with the Doom stuff if you help him with the ROTT implementation... ?

It's in there and the model once extracted can be opened in slab6 but as you say it doesn't display for some reason.

I did notice it wasn't rendering, not sure how it could have gone wrong since the last version, unless XWE munched on it or something. I'll get it fixed soon-ish, heh.

Graf Zahl said:

It throws an error that the file is invalid.

The last two mip levels have no voxels in them could that be causing the problem?

I think so, yes. I remember that Randy said that a valid voxel either needs one or all 5 mip levels but don't quote me for it. You could report it as a bug at the ZDoom forums.

Here is a modified version of CANDA.kvx that works with zdoom.
I filled in the hollow center of the candle with slab6 which fixed one of the mip levels but still left a problem with the last one so I had to manually fix it.
The link is for a zipped kvx file so if you want to use it extract it from the zip file and replace the entry CANDA in the voxel_test.wad using a lump editor.