Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stroggos

Voxel Doom Port!

DooMAD said:

The only real problem at the moment is the Voxel editors themselves. Neither Slab6 or Voxel3D are ideally suited to the work for various reasons. I'll have to give some other ones out there a try to see if there's anything better.

Paint3D seems a lot better :P

Stroggos said:

I'm glad that I bought this project to peoples attention I I hope it gets implemented rather soon in Eternity although it's not going to be done by me.

What a number you did. Heh before seeing this I had plans of one day learning how to doom and voxels and starting "Project Voxie", knowing people would eventually just take over. You did well.

The name Voxie is available to anyone who doesn't think it's stupid, though.

DaniJ said:

I would agree with the chicken-and-egg prognosis if it weren't for the fact that - GL DOOM ports have supported 3D models for over a decade and we are still using the models created by Team SOG for an old Quake TC.

That's about 100% correct, and we're talking about models as primitive as MD2's, which, unlike voxels, can be handled by a thousand different, powerful and well documented applications. Weapons and items? totally trivial.

In the best case scenario, I could see this becoming a palliative to 2.5D architecture, provided the implementation goes that far, but seriously...

fix the nightvision goggles. please. they look terrible. i mean shit how are you supposed to wear those things, they need earpeices or something.

DooMAD said:

I think GhostPilot had also been making some progress on a few items not shown on the voxel project page.

I second that. I have a handfull of models I have been working on and off whenever I felt like it.
I'm on vacation right now, but when I get back home to Sweden I jump right on finishing some of the more complete models in the voxel work folder.

I found a WIP picture of the icon of sin skull cube, but I have nowhere to host it right now. I'll update this post when I do.

EDIT: I used imageshack for now.
EDIT AGAIN: I might add that this is an early WIP picture. Couldn't fins the latest now when I am on vacation. This was something that was on my USB stick.

Dee said:

fix the nightvision goggles. please. they look terrible. i mean shit how are you supposed to wear those things, they need earpeices or something.

I can only speak for myself, but I have only "volumized" the sprites as they were. No touching up, no fixing. If there was a flaw in the sprite, I recreated that flaw.

But I have to agree with you. The nightvision goggles most likely are the most terrible sprite in DooM. imagine putting those on your head and try to fight monsters... It would be like having a VCRplayer on your head.

Here's a repost of the voxel shotgun weapon hack I made with the shotgun pickup voxel and decorate:

Spoiler

actor VoxShotgun : Shotgun replaces Shotgun
{
	decal bulletchip
	States
	{
	Ready:
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",25,6,20,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_WeaponReady
		Loop
	Deselect:
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,4,19,velx,vely,velz,-4, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",22,3,18,velx,vely,velz,-8, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",19,2,17,velx,vely,velz,-12, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",16,1,16,velx,vely,velz,-16, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",13,0,15,velx,vely,velz,-20, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",10,-1,14,velx,vely,velz,-24, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
	Deseloop:
		TNT1 A 0 A_Lower
		Loop
	Select:
		TNT1 A 0
		TNT1 A 0 A_WeaponReady(WRF_NOFIRE)
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",10,-1,14,velx,vely,velz,-24, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",13,0,15,velx,vely,velz,-20, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",16,1,16,velx,vely,velz,-16, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",19,2,17,velx,vely,velz,-12, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",22,3,18,velx,vely,velz,-8, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,4,19,velx,vely,velz,-4, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1
		goto Ready
	Fire:
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",25,6,20,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",23,6,21,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",19,7,22,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 0 A_FireShotgun
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",16,8,23,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",14,8,23,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",13,8,23,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",13,8,22,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",14,8,21,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",15,8,20,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)

TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",17,8,20,velx,vely,velz,4, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",19,8,20,velx,vely,velz,9, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",21,8,20,velx,vely,velz,15, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",23,8,20,velx,vely,velz,20, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,8,20,velx,vely,velz,24, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)

TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,8,19,velx,vely,velz,27, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,8,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,8,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",21,9,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",17,10,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)

TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",13,11,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 AA 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",11,12,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",13,11,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)

TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",17,10,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",21,9,18,velx,vely,velz,29, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,8,19,velx,vely,velz,27, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)

TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,8,20,velx,vely,velz,24, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",23,8,20,velx,vely,velz,20, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",21,8,20,velx,vely,velz,15, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",21,8,20,velx,vely,velz,9, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",22,8,20,velx,vely,velz,4, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)

TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",23,7,20,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",24,6,20,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",25,6,20,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 0 A_spawnitemex("Idlevoxsg",25,6,20,velx,vely,velz,0, SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM)
		TNT1 A 1 A_ReFire
		Goto Ready
	Flash:
		TNT1 A 4 Bright A_Light1
		TNT1 A 3 Bright A_Light2
		Goto LightDone
	Spawn:
		SHOT A -1
		Stop
	}
}

ACTOR Idlevoxsg
{
	+NOTELEPORT
	+NOGRAVITY
	+NOINTERACTION
	height 1
	radius 1
	states
	{
	Spawn:
		TNT1 A 0
		TNT1 A 1
		SHOT A 1
		stop
	}
}

There's no muzzleflash or hands. Here's hoping for proper voxel weapons.

Screens:

It's gonna have to be a remake of the hud sprite, rather than a remake of the pickup sprite, to be decent :/ Sorry.

Yeah, advantages of actual 3d models for weapons are less pixellation and interpolation, both not possible with voxels. I just threw that code together to use a 3d object as a weapon in a software port.

I dunno, voxels for the HUD sprites might look pretty cool if they are done right. Using the pickup sprite probably isn't the best way to do it though, but I guess that was more of a proof of concept.

Mechadon said:

I dunno, voxels for the HUD sprites might look pretty cool if they are done right. Using the pickup sprite probably isn't the best way to do it though, but I guess that was more of a proof of concept.

Well, I'm not talking about the concept shown above. The only benefit that voxel models of the HUD weapons would give is smooth animations. But those animations wouldn't be the same as the ones with the original weapons. Besides, there's already been made smooth animations by Per Kristian.

Ghostpilot said:

I second that. I have a handfull of models I have been working on and off whenever I felt like it.
I'm on vacation right now, but when I get back home to Sweden I jump right on finishing some of the more complete models in the voxel work folder.

I found a WIP picture of the icon of sin skull cube, but I have nowhere to host it right now. I'll update this post when I do.

EDIT: I used imageshack for now.
EDIT AGAIN: I might add that this is an early WIP picture. Couldn't fins the latest now when I am on vacation. This was something that was on my USB stick.

Cool.

Has anyone tried the strip2voxel utility? http://www.jonof.id.au/forum/index.php?topic=1881.0

I used it to make an electric column, it created a .vox, I converted to .kvx. The offsets are off horizontally and vertically.

Not all the details are in it, and black (0,0,0) was converted to empty space, so that needs to be considered.

Created from a PNG like this, but much wider:

phi108 said:

Has anyone tried the strip2voxel utility? http://www.jonof.id.au/forum/index.php?topic=1881.0
I used it to make an electric column, it created a .vox, I converted to .kvx. The offsets are off horizontally and vertically.

I may remember wrong, but arent those electrical column supposed to be from floor to celing?

That seems to make agood headstart when doing voxel models of things that have multiple view angles. But most of the items have only one frame, so you still have to fill in the gaps with material from your imagination. But it might still be a lot faster to compose a strip like that rather than a model from scrach by adding voxel ater voxel the 100% manual way.
Too bad I am half way around the globe from my home on vacation right now. If I had access to my computer at home, I could have handed you a strip of the A-set of walking frames for the shotgun guy, that I tried to correct size and perspective on. It would be interesting to see what kind of disaster model that would come out of we fed it to that program you linked.

Per-Scan said:

PS: Just as a slightly OT thing: Did you know that there is a similar project going on just now for ROTT? If you're interested check out this link:

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38182

Maybe you could contact him and see if he'd be willing to help you with the Doom stuff if you help him with the ROTT implementation... ?

I signed up to the forums there almost a week ago now, went through the email activation steps and it said that an admin would validate it. Still waiting. Mostly I just want to know what program he's using to make them.

^
Sorry to hear your having hassle signing up. Unfortunately, I had the same problem. I had to email them through the contact email. After that it was quickly resolved. I think the place is probably in turmoil due to the recent upheavals at 3DR...

If you want I can post in the meantime and ask on your behalf. :)

Got a reply. Reaperman says:

"Well I personally like to use "strip2voxel" and ""sprite to voxel" for converting sprites to voxel format, and i also use "slab6" to do most of the details and color changes.

So basically i use "strip2voxel" "sprite to voxel" and "slab6"."

Just incase, here's the link for the thread:

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38182

I hope there's something of use there. :)

And just when you thought we hadn't given ourselves enough to do...

Switches, bitches!

Updated zdoom_vox.zip yet again. Cheers to Exl for the DECORATE and VOXELDEF work.

I'd like to add that their activation radius is rather big as a result of not being able to fiddle with the voxel's offsets without odd clipping occurring. See the switch next to the lift, which you can view from the side by hugging the lift corner.

DooMAD said:

Switches, bitches!

Sounds like a map name O_o

Next time I'm in #legacy whilst you and Exl are around (and not playing Minecraft) I'll help out.

Is the activation radius something that can be fixed by the port authors if voxels are present?

Not playing Minecraft? Unpossible!

We'd have probably finished all the items now if it weren't for that, heh.