Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

Serpent: Resurrection released

xmblolpp said:

I don't know if there is some sort of scripting error but I think the exploding lava balls that come out of every patch of lava is overdoing it as well.

There aren't any scripts for that, those are Heretic mini-volcanoes that are spawned in at the start. (and they only appear in larger patches of lava, not on every river etc.)

idgames link up now too

I've been playing through and am up to the main castle area(map 18 region).

I've explored the ice castle, found all 16 cogs and placed them. I activate all 4 switches, raise the platform and... nothing. The logs make mention of a "conductor", am I supposed to find an item to put on the platform? Because I can find no such item in the castle.

diosoth said:

I've been playing through and am up to the main castle area(map 18 region).

I've explored the ice castle, found all 16 cogs and placed them. I activate all 4 switches, raise the platform and... nothing. The logs make mention of a "conductor", am I supposed to find an item to put on the platform? Because I can find no such item in the castle.

What you're supposed to do is stand on the platform when it's rising. You'll end up on the roof where you'll find a little cubby hole with a switch that unlocks the weapon piece.

I just beat it, and it was awesome. But when I killed all 298 enemies that were attacking lystern at the end of the game I was surpised to see..... nothing happened! I saw that the king and the two elves were dead, so I thought maybe I was supposed to keep them alive. I booted up the autosave for the map and used noclip to stealthily get past the monsters undisturbed outside the map, and I see that they actually START OUT DEAD FROM THE BEGINNING. So how in the world is the king telling you "Thank god youre here! take this wand!" when he's dead? I had to use puke to see the ending and credits. I appreciate being congratulated on beating it on the hardest skill. And back on the subject of that optional ice castle for the weapon piece, I think you're making the player work way too hard for the final weapons. I cleared out eidolon's entire castle before I decided to explore the other levels, too, and it was brutal without my trusty wraithverge (and sunstaff straight from Hexen II). But still, it was worth it, because running all the way back to the eastern shore from eidolon's castle would have been crazy without them.

On the floating island sanctuary (which is totally not 'inspired' by sonic 3 in any way, shape, or form) two of the crystals were way too hard for me to get to and I had to cheat with noclip. One (purple i think) is in an alcove way too high for the jump boots to reach, and the other behind the stone wall near the big hole surrounded by the blocks with circles on them. I assume you have to arrange the four blocks in the right pattern to unlock it, but I couldn't find any clues to the combination, and doing it the slow, meticulous way was... too slow and meticulous and I ran out of patience.

What, exactly, is the reward for saving selene and banedon? (or punishment for not saving them?) The only thing I can think of is maybe you don't get the seeker wand or the ending changes. The ravenstaff sucked. The ice bow was okay. But the firestorm is just better than both of them, and I used them just to save ammo on the better weapon. You could've maybe given him the dragonclaw or ethereal crossbow from heretic, or even the hellstaff or the phoenix rod if the other characters dont already have them. They're all useful and different from his other weapons enough to warrant them. I thought the bow was stupid at first, it even slows you down when you arm it, but then I noticed it does large, consistent damage, you just have to have really good aim when using it.

Despite all my trivial complaints, this is an amazing addition to the Hexen library of wads. I couldn't stop playing. It reminded me how fun this game is and a blast from my childhood of how awesome it is to be absorbed in the serpent rider universe. And I love that there were elements from all 3 games. I don't mean just enemies and textures, but stuff like reading people's diaries and tablets for hints like Hexen II, the keys and puzzle items are hidden in obscure, cryptic places like Hexen (which is good or bad depending on how you view it), and some of the hordes got into massive numbers and were crazy hard driving me to madness like heretic.

The level-up stats and the monetary system was handled exceptionally well. You see a gradual difference in your power as you level up, but it's nowhere near enough to make you godly. It's conceivable to beat the entire game without using any skill points (but I wouldn't recommend trying it lol). And you cap at level 20, with limits on each stat. In the beginning I thought kraters of might would forever be way too expensive, but by the end I was making enough money and selling the right stuff so they're economically viable. The only item I never used was that stone barrier thing. I mean, it makes a wall that takes up 64 pixels of space? Does this need to be such a rare, expensive item, or is there something I'm not getting?

tl;dr: tell me what the garg I'm supposed to do to get that last crystal behind the stone wall on level 16 and what sort of bug (or was there something I wasn't doing?) prevented me from seeing the ending.

You arrived at Lystern too late (which can only happen if you don't rush back) and this is obviously triggering some buggy code (although the script that handles the mob count shouldn't treat it any differently)

The purple crystal has a very thin ledge going up to it (not easy to spot but there is a clue at the bottom), and the red one requires you to solve a puzzle with the stone blocks nearby. (and only the name of the secret map was inspired by S&K, it was originally called "heaven" :P)

Hi Everybody!
First, I would like to say that this mod is an awesome masterpiece. It's addictive like a drug, the player want's more and more of it. A must-have, Hexen replacement for me. And the only thing I can do is say big "Thank You, The Ultimate DooMer, amazing work!".

A few years have passed since I was thinking about such a mod. Some of my ideas were different than in SR, but the mod reminds me of this time.
Now, when I play the mod I revised some of the conceptions, and I would be glad to share them with The Ultimate DooMer - if he's interested of course. I wrote them down already, can send them as xls file.

Also I would like to ask you for help:
1. Can you guide me a litte to the void key?
2. How do I pass the wooden barrier in the monastery cellars (what item causes "nitrous explosion")?
3. What is the flame mask for?
4. What are the ingradients' bags for?

Thanks in advance!

Zaero said:

Hi Everybody!
First, I would like to say that this mod is an awesome masterpiece. It's addictive like a drug, the player want's more and more of it. A must-have, Hexen replacement for me. And the only thing I can do is say big "Thank You, The Ultimate DooMer, amazing work!".

A few years have passed since I was thinking about such a mod. Some of my ideas were different than in SR, but the mod reminds me of this time.
Now, when I play the mod I revised some of the conceptions, and I would be glad to share them with The Ultimate DooMer - if he's interested of course. I wrote them down already, can send them as xls file.

Also I would like to ask you for help:
1. Can you guide me a litte to the void key?
2. How do I pass the wooden barrier in the monastery cellars (what item causes "nitrous explosion")?
3. What is the flame mask for?
4. What are the ingradients' bags for?

Thanks in advance!

Reviving an old thread for something which could have been sent via PM...

killer2 said:

Being a backseat moderator...

killer2 said:

Doomworld News threads are considered part of the main site and are therefore exempt from 'bumping' rules.

Also, consider this your warning.