• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaganRaven

[RELEASE]The Cenote

EDIT: Updated to version 1.1.
DOWNLOAD

Site

This is a Maya-themed scenario I've been working on this summer. My planned release day is November 1.
Features:
-5 Maps
-2 New player classes
-lotsa new weapons and monsters

The one thing I could use help with is good music. Preferably dark or mesoamerican sounding. And something of a boss track. As long as it's original. If nobody wants to donate anything, I'll scrounge up something.

The screenshots here are from the first two maps (4/5 of which are complete at this point):

http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/3.png
http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/1.png
http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/2.png
http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/4.png
http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/6.png
http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/9.png
http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/10.png
http://www.zero1productions.com/billy/BillsTCs/images/screenshots/cenote/11.png

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Anyone else think that he's holding two Kennys in that last shot?

What's a Kenny? Is this a pop culture/inside joke involving testes? If so I know feel ashamed of what I created.

I'm gonna try to make this an IWAD if it's not too much of a headache.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Anyone else think that he's holding two Kennys in that last shot?

First thought that came to mind :D
BTW this Total Convertion looks kinda great! :)

UPDATE:
All maps are finished, save for some fine tuning. What's left to do is writing/rewriting text and dialogue, add more ambientsounds/music, and massive crunch of playtesting and this should be ready by the end of the month.

If you need any outside playtesting, let us know. Nothing worse than putting alot of hard work into a project only to have it get a series of "worst wad ever1111!!!!!!!!" responses because you overlooked something! Good luck with this.

I wrote a few midis and have one mp3 picked out, but I don't think of myself as a master composer so I'm still very open to contributions. If anyone's extremely interested to test this thing or help out shoot me a PM. Keep in mind I'd frantically have to make sure it's beatable in single player beforehand if it comes to that.

This looks pretty interesting and it certainly looks a bit different from the run of the mill stuff. I look forward to this. I will PM you as I'd like to test this for you. :)

esselfortium said:

Uh. Thanks for your valuable contribution, killer2.

Ok,maybe I didn't express myself very clearly.The weapons look very bad,and I think they will need to be redone/improved.

Well this looks rather entertaining. I'd offer to playtest a bit, but I'm not sure how much time I could give with how much college is making me study, little life I have, etc.

killer2 said:

Ok,maybe I didn't express myself very clearly.The weapons look very bad,and I think they will need to be redone/improved.

I like the hokey style, not to mention one person making a TC is a lot of work and I don't see anything wrong with simplistic graphics. It's stupid when mspaint shows up alongside regular doom graphics or whatever, but since this is all done that way it's consistent.

I'm down to playtest/write some midis

PaganRaven said:

I don't use MSpaint! =0

I use graphics gale and gimp! =D

haha well either way it's very cartoony but I think it's cool

I sent a PM to per-scan with a test version. I don't know whether or not he's actually playing because I haven't gotten a response since, but per-scan is the only person that requested to playtest via PM. This is wrapping up nicely, I think, but there's still a couple more things I want to add/touch up on. I will *******ely be making this publicly and officially available on November 1 no matter how 'done' or 'polished' it is, which is pretty much just scope creep so there's nothing that breaks the game.

So if anyone's been composing a Midi file, be sure to get it to me by this weekend, but the music I'm using completes the game and I'll only replace any of it if I hear something that's more fitting or, uh, better.

I'm happy to announce this game needs no iwads or any other outside resources to run. Just click it and run it! =)

BUMP!
It's complete! =) (see OP for link)

Nobody tested it or gave me any music. It's okay though, I think it turned out alright.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been testing a few things of late and I've only really just begun your game. I realise that you've now released it but if you're still interested I'll be able to give you some feedback over the next couple of days. :)

Yeah thats cool. I just noticed I accidently left in a few backup copies of some huge files and I'm re-uploading it. If you're gonna test it then go with the newer version and then maybe you'll be credited in the next version if I upgrade it.

Just played the first couple maps...pretty cool

There were a few issues however:

Most of the time it was really easy but then at one or two random times I got clobbered and almost died. It was always by those weird lizard guys who don't move.

The dudes with swords shield themselves for way too long at times.

The beginning was disappointing when I got lost. The caves look too bland considering there is only one texture, plus the washed-out blue lighting doesn't help. It would be nice even just to have one or two darkened versions of that rock texture to make it less monotonous.

The walljump is easy to exploit by being able to climb up any two walls that are close enough together. I wasn't sure if you intended this and it didn't seem to break any part of the game, but in the large torch room in MAP02 I used that to get out of the water before realizing there was a way out through the tower.

The weapons seem totally imbalanced. Also there is an easy exploit with the way you drop your weapon when you get a new one...if you keep picking the bow up, you get more and more ammo. Why not just let the player have all the weapons anyway? As I was saying, the balance is weird...teotl storm, bow of nit, and that whip thing all have incredibly weak attacks. I found them barely useful except maybe on those little guys who shoot rings at you. On the other hand, the stone arm and the axe will smash anything is a couple of blows. I felt like the long-range weapons were not necessary because they weren't powerful enough.

I don't want you to think I had a negative reaction - I love the atmosphere, the music, the story (although the dialogue is cheesy), and the level architecture. The walljump is awesome. I just think it needs some improvement as far as gameplay goes - possibly by making the long-range weapons more effective, allowing those lizard guys to move around, etc.

Also I haven't finished MAP02 so there's stuff I haven't seen yet

magicsofa said:

if you keep picking the bow up, you get more and more ammo.

Aww, seriously? Thanks for telling me this, actually. I did try to make sure all the ammo-based weapons didn't do this but I guess I missed the bow. As for the imbalanced power of weapons, it's partly due to their elements. The axe is a water/melee damagetype weapon and the stone club is earth/melee, whereas stuff like the arrows and the whip are pure melee. The snake guys are fairly resistant to melee but pretty weak to water and earth, so there ya go. The bats however are weak to melee attacks, and the footless (orange guys with green spots) are weak to melee but resistant to earth, so the regular fist is a lot more effective on them than the stone fist. The main characters themselves have a resistance to melee attacks but are extremely weak to both poison and water, which is why the acid spit does so much damage to you.

PaganRaven said:

As for the imbalanced power of weapons, it's partly due to their elements.

Did you include information about this in the text file or are you just supposed to figure it out? I fired it up without really reading the text file

magicsofa said:

Did you include information about this in the text file or are you just supposed to figure it out? I fired it up without really reading the text file

Naw, I just conveniently neglected any mention of it at all. But it's pretty marginal anyway. This isn't pokemon, it's just another doom mod that happens to use the damagefactors. And I tried to make the story unfold in a way so you could eventually understand the backstory without ever having to read the text file. In fact that text file was pretty much taped together at the last minute; you don't need to read it (which pretty much goes for 99.9% of all wads out there)