Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The Social Network

It was good. Quick witted, well paced, if not a bit too fast paced for my tastes: the film never gets a chance to catch its breath. The camera shots were boring and repetitive, except for a few scenes where they were interesting and engaging and perhaps memorable (namely the oars dipping in the water; the race). The ending was a bit weak; it sort of starts to build towards a climax, but what I thought was the beginning of the end, was the end. The casting was really good. The characterization and acting were all pretty much spot on with really no weak parts to interrupt the story. But, nevertheless, it's ultimately a dumb movie with a crackling screenplay that ultimately doesn't say or do much; witty and clever and often funny, but never going deeper than the surface. Engaging performances, interest holding pace, funny, witty screenplay, but not a great movie like some critics argue; fun, but not enough story arc, depth or gravitas.

TimeOfDeath said:

I wanna push facebook off a bridge.

But how else will I find out what my high school acquaintances been up to?

The premise is kinda stupid. It's only focusing on FB when MySpace has been around longer and essentially inspired FB's existence in the first place. But meh and wasn't this douche in zombieland? God, how shameful. Whatever happened to putting characters in movies you can actually relate too and think are cool instead of the kid that everyone wanted to avoid in highschool?

Saw it. Decent movie... pretty standard stuff, though. I only saw a shadow of the 97 this thing got on Metacritic. When it's got as high a rating as Seven Samurai and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly by critics, one has to step back and say, "What the fuck?"

Mostly good performances, but Timberlake still can't act. Well-placed, a good amount of chuckles... nothing really hilarious. The dialog was written well. Still... nothing outstanding.

StevieCybernetik said:

But meh and wasn't this douche in zombieland? God, how shameful. Whatever happened to putting characters in movies you can actually relate too and think are cool instead of the kid that everyone wanted to avoid in highschool?

I actually think Eisenberg's a decent actor... even if he plays a douchebag in this movie. I kind of disagree with a lot this statement in general, though.

Hellbent said:

huh. what's wrong with fb.

He doesn't have any friends on Facebook. :(

Lorenzo said:

I'm still waiting for the movie about the creation of DooM.

Same here. It'll probally star Will SMith as John Carmack and John Trovelta as Romero :P (Not sure why I picked those names, but whatever.)

Hellbent said:

huh. what's wrong with fb.

That'd be you, for starters...

Nah I'm all about Facebook. Having the compulsively vain and narcissistic all congregate in one place will make them easier to avoid.

Use3D said:

That'd be you, for starters...

Nah I'm all about Facebook. Having the compulsively vain and narcissistic all congregate in one place will make them easier to avoid.

I left facebook because they had a tendancy to leave the broken shit and "fix" other relatively meaningless things that worked perfectly fine. And towards the end all I ever did was update my status with random shit that would come to mind while in that zombie-like state of "too tired to stay up, yet too bored to go to sleep". It made me consider getting a twitter account but a) I don't know enough people on it and b) facebook kind of killed the whole "social networking, My Twitter-Face Space" thing for me. Its all basically the same, They all have their own annoying issues and personally I'm happier using IM's, E-Mail, or my cell phone.

I guess it's great for long distant relationships with people (not necessarily boy/girlfriend) but I don't know that many people outside of florida and I have them on IM's anyway.

The only attachment I still have to social networking is the Myspace page I haven't bothered to check for some months now. Kind of pointless since everyone's on facebook.

All that aside, no I'm not going to watch the facebook movie.

StevieCybernetik said:

Whatever happened to putting characters in movies you can actually relate too and think are cool instead of the kid that everyone wanted to avoid in highschool?

Whatever happened to wanting real life characters to be portrayed realistically and believably in movies?

i liked myspace better. more customizable and you don't have to manually like all the things you like, you can just type them so people know. you could have your own flash too, so you can make it look interesting. well, before spammers decided to use flash to spam you and they did away with it at least.

i hated myspace more. more customizable ... you could have your own flash too, so you can make it look interesting. well, before spammers decided to use flash to spam you and they did away with it at least. Unfortunatley they still made it possiblen to have thousands of images, all semi-transparent, shitting up the page and millions of youtube embeds nobody will ever watch, not even the owner of the page.

What would have made it PERFECT would have been an option to view everybody's pages as if they were only using the default design and cut out all the crap. Facebook is better for that reason but they have both been slow as shit recently. Facebook for typing messages and Myspace just in general.

Also LOL at people "leaving" (flouncing away, tossing thier feather boa over one shoulder?) these kinds of sites because "everybody on them is vain and shallow". Isn't that kind of... vain and shallow? I mean who seriously gives that much of a shit? I just use it to post funny quotes i've heard, record interesting events quickly (because i'm too lazy to install an LJ clientt again) and show off photos of stuff i've done.

Facebook is as good a site as you choose to make it. If you don't like the people who use it then the real problem is who you're choosing to associate with. If you don't like the applications and notifications then you can disable them. If you're concerned about the whole privacy thing then you can change those settings as well. The fact is that Facebook provides an incredible amount of useful functionality, in a very fast and easy to use interface, and it does so without spamming its users with intrusive ads. It does all of this for hundreds of millions of users without charging them a penny.

I find that people who hate Facebook fall into one of three categories: 1) They're too dumb or impatient to learn how to use it properly. 2) Their selection of friends is very poor. 3) They have to hate something just because it's popular. After all, if something incredibly popular is also lame then that means that most people are incredibly lame, making the person who believes this incredibly cool in his/her own mind.

Category 4: Those who recognize how poorly the site is coded and tend to not forget occasions where errors have revealed users' private information.

I do recognize the utility of it, though, and recently created a bare bones account under a fake name.

if it hasn't been mentioned here yet, its been mentioned on tribalwar.com forums. the facebook movie is being called the next citizen kane

zephyr said:

if it hasn't been mentioned here yet, its been mentioned on tribalwar.com forums. the facebook movie is being called the next citizen kane

yeah, it is being highly regarded. I didn't like citizen kane... i mean, prolly more to do with the picture quality than anything else. Technically the film was very good, although i didn't like the story. FB movie is also technically very good, but i didn't are for all the zoomed in shots. I kind of want to see it again, tho--to see if it's the sort of movie i will enjoy and get more out of the second viewing. I've fallen in love with quite a few movies through second viewings that I only liked/liked a lot the first viewing (which is how I feel about this movie).

zephyr said:

Well, that's sad.

AndrewB said:

I find that people who hate Facebook fall into one of three categories...

So all you haters, sign up to Facebook and interact with people like this today! What are you possibly waiting for?