Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Death Metal discussion thread

Hey guys,

I used to host a death metal show on the radio here in Brisbane on 4ZZZ 102.1 FM. I listen to death metal pretty much every waking minute I have and have so much music that I need to get another hard drive soon.

I'm mostly into slam, brutal death and death grind. These genres tends to delve into obscurity town because they tend to go over what some people consider the edge of sheer volume, speed and brutality. In fact to a lot of people it is simply noise, or sounds completely disgusting (in a bad way). Although it might come across to you as a garbled mess, you would have no idea how difficult it is to make a sound like this (for every band member involved).

If you want an example, here's one by a band called Enmity (death metal only sounds good if you play it really loud) -> http://www.electricretard.com/junk/PervertingTheMinistriesOfChrist.mp3

Or maybe a bit of Suppuration might be more to your taste -> http://www.electricretard.com/junk/SlutDecapitator.mp3

Here's my collection. Most of them are complete discographies, although some of them are kind of embarrassing to me:

http://www.electricretard.com/junk/sig_metal.png

And my last.fm -> http://www.last.fm/user/sigvatr

I have a multitude of friends here in brisbane that have their own metal bands. Australian brutal death doesn't really get around much because bands like this are too niche to be able to make it out of the country, so I thought I'd show you my friends' band Disentomb (ignore these if you think I'm trying to solicite you):

Disentomb
http://www.myspace.com/disentomb

Then again, the gutteral screams might not be for everyone :)

In the meantime, this thread is for death metal :D

I'm happy to make any recommendations if anyone is interested.

These guys have invented a form of music so awful it's hard to believe it's even real. Having played music (and sucked at it) I can say I have an idea how hard it would be to make that sound. I can't see wanting to either. An interesting novelty at least.

Death metal can either be really good (Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, Death, Obituary, Deicide, Nile) or really bad (any band featuring "pig squeal" vocals, and/or lyrical content focusing exclusively on gore/dismemberment et cetera that Carcass and Cannibal Corpse already covered comprehensively 20 years ago). I love and hate the genre.

I am a bit of a metal head and used to play in lots of bands. I also played in some hardcore punk bands so I get how hard this stuff is to play. I mean it really is water tight chops. I can listen to some stuff sometimes but the problem I have with it all is that it's pretty much stuck in one gear - a problem I've found with most hardcore music. It inevitably paints itself into a corner in a creative sense...Still, all power to you for sharing and flying the flag! :)

DoomUK said:

I love and hate the genre.

I hate the genre. Its like listening to a horde of dying animals who don't even know what music even is. Plus, all of their merhcandise is just blood and gore and makes anyone who wears their shit look like a retard.

Clonehunter said:

I hate the genre. Its like listening to a horde of dying animals who don't even know what music even is. Plus, all of their merhcandise is just blood and gore and makes anyone who wears their shit look like a retard.

This is the misconception of death metal that should be dispelled. Only certain (sub) sub-genres actually focus their lyrics and stuff around the whole blood and guts thing.

I suggest you listen to the names I listed above. Nothing to do with necrophilia or infected genital regions (though Dying Fetus' early work did subscribe to this cliche, admittedly), and their logos are never dripping with cartoon-style blood.

I really only listen to Bloodbath, which is more melodic death metal.

Other metal bands I listen to:
The Red Chord
Mudvayne
Strapping Young Lad
Fear Factory
Cannibal Corpse
Type O Negative
Opeth
Tool

I don't particularly favor any one style of music over another although I do listen to more Melodic Death than other forms of Death Metal.

Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage and Nightmares Made Flesh. Morbid Angel's first 4 albums and Death's Scream Bloody Gore are a few Death Metal releases I like.

I love Death Metal, but I'm very picky about it. I only listen to a few bands. It's very hard to find a Death Metal band with a signature sound. I don't like generic vocals, excessive use of gravity rolls, etc. Some of my favorite bands are Miseration, The Few Against Many, Solution .45, Arch Enemy, Sacrificium, Soul Embraced, and Death. Melodic Death Metal is probably my favorite.

I like some death metal such as Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower, Immolation, Hypocrisy, Mercenary, Entombed and several others. It may not be the dominant genre but I still listen to it at times in my nearly 11,000 song playlist.

DoomUK said:

Death metal can either be really good (Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, Death, Obituary, Deicide, Nile) or really bad (any band featuring "pig squeal" vocals, and/or lyrical content focusing exclusively on gore/dismemberment et cetera that Carcass and Cannibal Corpse already covered comprehensively 20 years ago). I love and hate the genre.

This basically sums up my opinion of death metal. I like it, but not so much anymore.

I like DM, but not as much as I used to.

Bands I still spin:

Cannibal Corpse (up until Bloodthirst)
Bolt Thrower
Hypocrisy
Carcass

Closest thing to death metal I'd listen to is Strapping Young Lad.

Also, Doomworld metal thread #32895.

I like death metal as well. I actually used to dislike it, when I first heard Six Feet Under's The Day The Dead Walked, and found it hilarious.
However, it led me to look for better stuff, and I succeeded in doing so.

Great Death Metal Bands:
Cannibal Corpse
Simply put, a great death metal band that symbolizes the genre.
The first four albums with Chris Barnes (Eaten Back To Life up to The Bleeding) are definitely better than today's lineup with Corpsegrinder.
But that's not to say that their music today isn't good. I like some of the new stuff, and it shows that Corpsegrinder can really do some good vocals.

Death:
I'm starting to get into this band. Probably one of the most influential DM bands of all time, this band was consistently awesome from Scream Bloody Gore to The Sound of Perserverance. You can tell they really know what they're playing when you hear the great solos by the late Chuck Schuldiner, and the great drumwork by the various drummers throughout the band's career.

Carcass:
I've only heard 2 or 3 songs by them, but they still kick ass nonetheless.

Napalm Death:
Another grindcore staple, the band is known for their 1-second song, You Suffer. But when you actually look at the band's discography, they were more influential than that. They practically invented the entire genre of grindcore.

Hilariously Bad Death Metal Bands:
Six Feet Under
Like I said, I got introduced to the genre when somebody showed me The Day The Dead Walked, and I had thought the song sucked, and I still do. It's kind of odd that Chris Barnes had gone from one of the greatest DM bands to a generic DM band with nothing interesting. Especially with the band's later stuff, he incorporated more pig-squeal screams and crap that sounds hilarious to me.

The entire genre of Deathcore
I just hate it how all these scene kids think these new band are all the rave and how they're so good, but they're not. Just a bunch of guys going "BREE BREE" and crappy breakdowns that basically give the original death metal genre a bad name.

I also hate these death metal bands where the music just gets overshadowed by the blastbeats and inhuman vocals. Stuff like Enmity and Last Days of Humanity just really makes me laugh when I listen to it.

Aliotroph? said:

These guys have invented a form of music so awful it's hard to believe it's even real. Having played music (and sucked at it) I can say I have an idea how hard it would be to make that sound. I can't see wanting to either. An interesting novelty at least.

2deep4u

Bucket said:

Tool

I can accept TON being spoken of as "metal". Barely.

But Tool? Awesomely good band, certainly. But do they belong in a metal thread, let alone a death metal thread? No :p.

Type O are goth metal. Truths.
But if Tool aren't metal then what the hell are they? (If you say anything with the word "progressive" in it, I will reach through the internet and stab your nutsack.)

Clonehunter said:

I disagree. Grindcore is a lot more like that. That's what I listen to.

Bucket said:

But if Tool aren't metal then what the hell are they? (If you say anything with the word "progressive" in it, I will reach through the internet and stab your nutsack.)

Rock music.

I hate that word too, btw. Almost as much as I hate the term "alternative".

Clonehunter said:

And you play DOOM.

eargosedown said:

I dislike the genre, but to each their own.

No no no, you've got it all wrong, you need to go back and post about how stupid the genre is, how it's just a bunch of noise and the bands know nothing of music. Then you should comment on the fan's choice of fashion, cause that's what makes a great discussion, lady!!

I used to be a DM purist of sorts but then I realized how silly that was because I was shutting out so many different great takes on the genre. I can listen to DM, but I prefer a more progressive form of metal. Yes I'm an Opeth fag, and totally proud to admit it. Enslaved is also really good (but I guess that's more along the black metal lines WHO CARES).

Also Death is one of my favorite bands ever.

I never understood the thing with growling, sounds like orcs drinking petrolium mixed with nasty Perfume. but I dont whine about DM, just think of that horrible ACDC. It Daunts Me!

owell COB ftw.

I never understood the point of the whole growling thing. It rates up there with yodeling in my list of things to avoid listening to. :p