Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Death Metal discussion thread

Doom Dude said:

I never understood the point of the whole growling thing.

To sound crazy and scary.

I never really got into death metal that much. I listen to Dethklok every now and then but that's about it. It's almost one of those genres were, normally I'd stay away, but every once and a while a song will come out that I like.

Otherwise, I'm more partial to clear vocals as well.

Extremely into death metal, but not modern tech-dm, goregrind and stuff like that.

Some of my favorites:

Autopsy (!)
(old) Suffocation
Morbid Angel
Repugnant
bla bla bla, tons of underground/unknown bands, and old bands from the 80`s/early 90`s

Been listening to death metal regulary for almost 15 years, and I`ve played and still play in death metal bands.

fun fact: I bought Scream Bloody Gore when I was 7 y.o. Damn it was so evil back then I couldnt believe my ears:P

Edit: @OP: I think I only know about one australian dm band: Abramelin. They were fucking brutal.

Seems to me that Doom and Death Metal are a natural combination.

My faves are Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel and Deicide.

But thanks for this thread. I've been looking to explore some newer sounds, but they don't exactly play this stuff on the local "I-wannabe-a-white-teen-girl-dating-black-boys" radio stations.

Glass Rook said:

the local "I-wannabe-a-white-teen-girl-dating-black-boys" radio stations.

Radio makes me Vomit unless they throw in something different

Death Metal is one of the subgenres that gives metal bad name... I cant stand the vocals but know how hard is to sing like that, but i do love the instrumentals, hard core face fucking guitar rules \m/
I dont apreciate death metal a lot but it is legit style of music those idiots that say otherwise don't no shit about music

dontbotherwithmyname said:

used to rip the growling parts of some death metal songs to make different sounds for monsters in doom

Cleaver.

I'm not really a big fan of standard death metal, with a strong preference instead for melodic death metal, but my preferences on standard death metal fall on the early bands from the 80's. Possessed, Death, Protector, etc. Plus a handful of bands from the 90s on like Obituary, Suffocation, Six Feet Under (aside from the terrible Bringer of Blood album and that one song with the rap cameo, and pretty much any other mid-career album they made).

EDIT: I'd list stuff like Opeth and later Death as well, but they're Progressive Death rather than standard, and I like to categorize my music like that.

Generally can't stand death metal. Even the few death metal bands I do listen to (Cynic, Opeth, and occasionally Death) I always find myself wishing they'd get rid of the growling vocals because to me it ruins what would otherwise be some fucking kickass metal.

Also, what the hell is the deal with death metal bands and designing logos that all look exactly the same--OH SNAP. I think I just had an epiphany. So the vocal style of most death metal bands is so damn bad that the lyrics are incomprehensible, so the bands decide to take it one step farther and craft logo designs that are equally baffling! Why has this concept eluded me for so long?

..and then there's one or two cool bands that actually put some thought into their logo design and create something that's actually kinda awesome.

Oh, and Cynic just makes some badass looking album art to make up for the lack of a super-stylized logo:

In other words, my taste in music is better than yours and you should feel bad for liking the music you do. Just kidding, I don't give a shit one way or another.

I find death metal good in general, as long as they stfu or have a voice that doesnt make my think of iron maiden or any other pathetic shit. its cool as long as it doesnt sound pathetic, which it does in general. instrumental is the best.

somehow Children Of Bodom kinda managed to get good vocal voice.
growling is just sad, they dont sound like anything demonic at all and it just ruins the fine instrumentals.

Hey D_GARG, if you have nothing decent to say in this thread, don't say anything at all, especially if you're going to disrupt the flow of the discussion with anti-metal garbage.

AgentSpork: The growly vocals is PART of what makes it death metal..tho it doesn't always have to be Cannibal Corpse style vocals. It can be semi-growling like Entombed or semi-shout Manufacturer's Pride. Based on what you like, I think melodic death metal would suit your tastes better.

D_GARG said:

I find death metal good in general, as long as they stfu or have a voice that doesnt make my think of iron maiden or any other pathetic shit.

Dude have you ever even listened to Iron Maiden?

DoomUK said:

Dude have you ever even listened to Iron Maiden?

yes ... I might just get the wrong impression.
I only find fear of the dark accepteble.
In majority it just feels like: No, Get Out.

I don't really enjoy growling and I tend to avoid some types of metal because of it. I much prefer raspy boorish shouting instead ala Witch Hunt

Guttural screams are my favorite. I used to hate them but now they sound so compelling that they top all other vocals.

It took me a while to warm up to growling. At first I really hated death metal and growling in general, but it slowly warmed up to it by starting off with really thrashy death metal at first, like early Death and Possessed. Those two bands were like the gateways for me, and Morbid Angel pretty much solidified my liking of the genre. I wouldn't say I like it as much as thrash or traditional metal, but it's definitely good.

However, I can't really say I like the more BRUTAL stuff that's just nonstop blasting and/or extremely low gutturals. Suffocation is good, but most bands that followed them mostly turn me away. And, of course, stuff like deathcore is just right out.

Bashe said:

the more BRUTAL stuff that's just...

Stop right there, your opinion has been mootified by describing it as "just" anything; this is a typical way to prefix any lowbrow, uninformed opinion on any particular kind of music. It simply means you don't know what you are talking about.

Bashe said:

Suffocation is good, but most bands that followed them mostly turn me away.

So true.

They were the inventors of tech/br00dal/slam/wigger/breakdown death metal. Effigy of the Forgotten is probably one of my all time favorite albums, in any genre, but what the album spawned (Pierced From Within also, of course. Maybe even more) is what I despise the most in death metal.

PS: Extremely hooked on this album these days. This is some evil death metal hell yes.

From "Dawn of Possession" album, 1991:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbQ8bYVeplY

Is it really possible not to like this? :P

Sigvatr said:

Stop right there, your opinion has been mootified by describing it as "just" anything; this is a typical way to prefix any lowbrow, uninformed opinion on any particular kind of music. It simply means you don't know what you are talking about.

I could have gone about it a better way yes but there are LITERALLY bands that do that, kbye

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Sigvatr said:

I don't know any brutal death bands that don't have a guitarist or bassist.

Are you proposing we form a troll metal band called Autism Awareness without a guitarist or bassist?

AAAAAAANYWAY

Like I said - I really do enjoy death metal, but I don't really enjoy the stuff where brutality is placed way ahead of the actual music. For those who are trying to get into the genre, I would recommended starting off with late 80s/early 90s stuff and go from there. It's really what helped me get into the genre a lot better.

If you hate it - you hate it. That's just that. Nobody can MAKE you like death metal and if they try, they are a prick and you should disassociate yourself with them. Just don't hate it for retarded reasons and try to slam the ENTIRE genre and fanbase over it.

darkreaver said:

Everything after the reunion sucks. Everything from before fucking rules.

Actually Suffocation was the band that got my into brutal death in the first place. I was telling a guy about what I thought death metal should be moving into, and he said "Hold on, I have a band you need to listen to..."

It mostly started from there. Before I was a death fan actually hated death metal, associated it with morons and made fun of it regularly. Nothing has changed today, except that I do not hate death metal anymore. I still enjoy pissing off metal heads because it's so easy.