Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Death Metal discussion thread

I started liking death metal in '97 when I bought Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated. Over the years I got into some black metal and brutal death, but I'm really picky. One of my fav bands used to be Exhumed. Then I heard the song Obscura by Gorguts in 2003 or so and that was a turning point for me. But the past few years I don't listen to or write explicit death metal anymore, but instead instrumental "math-rock" "prog" type stuff that still has some things about death metal that I like.

Sigvatr said:

FUCKING BRUTAL

Crew sweatshirts and acid wash jorts for now on.

TimeOfDeath said:

I started liking death metal in '97 when I bought Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated. Over the years I got into some black metal and brutal death, but I'm really picky. One of my fav bands used to be Exhumed. Then I heard the song Obscura by Gorguts in 2003 or so and that was a turning point for me. But the past few years I don't listen to or write explicit death metal anymore, but instead instrumental "math-rock" "prog" type stuff that still has some things about death metal that I like.

Gorguts is coming out with a new album with John Longstreth of Origin - one of my favorite drummers. Luc Lemay is great, and he's a Canadian like you, haha.

When done right, death metal is a form of abstract art, and has more depth to it than any of the crap that is popular nowadays. I've always been attracted to the over the top dark imagery, evil atmosphere, macabre feel and just plain bad assery that old school death metal has to offer, much in the same way that I'm drawn into DooM. When I listen and get really inspired by it, sometimes my imagination runs wild and my mind wonders and I start getting visions of wierd and sinister but beautiful hellish land scapes. I can't describe the feeling I get in words, but that's one of reasons I love it so much, because it opens my imagination. I honestly couldn't imagine living life listening to down sindrome prog metal or going to normal clubs and listening to shitty washed out music that revolves around a stupid retarded one dimensional simple beat. I don't need to listen to other genres in music, I've got all my diversity in 80's thrash, 80's black metal, early 90's / late 80's death metal, the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal", 70's rock and REAL doom metal. Trust me, that's a lot more diversity than you'd think. In other words, I'm an elitest metal prick. :)

Nothing cooler than rocking Black Sabbath riffing drenched in a layer of filth followed by fast paced grind sections with intense riffing!!!

Here are a few songs from the albums that are responsible for getting me into metal.

This song out writes everything made between 2000 and now, easily! And it was written by 18 year old Swedish kids in the early 90's. The song structure is very well done and combined with the melodies, it creates a fucking awesome atmosphere. It feels like your stuck inside a wierd dream when you the watch video along with listening to the music.

This one just kicks straight to the balls, hehe. With some of the most brutal chainsaw riffage and a vocal performance that makes the conviction even more intense.

Oh yeah, and I'm not a fan crisp clean productions, in most cases they take the life out music to an extent. You can often feel the spirit and raw energy behind the music much better on albums that have a more natural production.

DeathevokatioN said:

[...]and has more depth to it than any of the crap that is popular nowadays.[...]

I'm not disagreeing, but to be perfectly honest it doesn't take a whole lot to have more depth than the current trends in music.

Xeros612 said:

I'm not disagreeing, but to be perfectly honest it doesn't take a whole lot to have more depth than the current trends in music.

Hahah, I know, that was more of a response to the trolls on the first page. I don't really know where I was going with that line though. ;)

Mr. Chris said:

Early Entombed and Dismember are awesome.

Oh yeah! I actually love each and every single DismembeR album, one of the few death metal bands that just doesn't seem to age. EntombeD's first two are great, I also enjoyed "Wolverine Blues". Petrov's vocal performance had a real punch to it, and the crunchy riffs are full of attitude and have some teeth as well. Have you heard a band called Divine Eve? If you like Swedish death then you should enjoy them. They're from Texas, but they have a lot of Swedish influence, and have some reaaaally fucking cool melodies and great inventive songwriting. I need some sleep now, heheh, I can't see the moniter properly anymore.