Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bloodbatha

which program to use

I'm trying to figure out what program I need to extract .png images from the .wad files? I don't have to game installed, just the .wad files. I plan on doing some editing of the doom monsters for a mod. I have one program but it wouldn't open them. Since there's no read me, I'm assuming the program was designed to need doom to be installed in order to view and extract the images. Is there a program that will work on the .wad files without having to have a doom engine installed?

Thanks in advance BB

bloodbatha said:

I'm trying to figure out what program I need to extract .png images from the .wad files?

If you mean "convert graphics into PNG and extract them", then what you want is SLADE3.

Except for some ZDoom mod and maybe a handful of GLBoom+ mods, you won't find PNG files within WAD files. It's a custom format.

bloodbatha said:

Is there a program that will work on the .wad files without having to have a doom engine installed?

All of them AFAIK. They open a wad file, not the exe. But nevertheless, try SLADE3.

Thanks a million. Just what I needed. The program worked like a charm after a little hic up that was my fault heh. the program worked great but its the Author Simone Judd who deserves a Huge thanks. I had a slight problem getting slade3 to work. I e-mailed Simone hoping he might get back to me with a solution. No only did he solve the issue. He e-mailed back within a hour of my first contacting him. That deserves kuddoo's . Its great to see someone who makes modding tools and stands behind them and responds so fast and friendly with a solution. Most big tech company's that charge for their programs could learn a thing or two and from Simone's fast and excellent tech advice and he doesn't even charge for the program :). Anyways it might not be the place for the post but mod tool programmers don't always get enough thanks. without them we non programmers would never be to do much modding at all. Thanks a bunch for the program suggestion GEZ , keep up that there spamming and thanks again Simone

BB