Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spikey

Want to buy

My grandma doesn't have any money. She still sends me a McDonalds happy meal toy every year for my birthday (I am 24).

I somehow got hold of the CD version of Doom that Six pointed out. (don't ask how). Behold, one of the rarest Doom items around. It took me several years to get hold of one. The only version more rare is the 5.25" disk one.

And my entire collection of (almost purely offcial resleases of) Classic Doom. As you can see, I really love and specialize in the mail order Doom.

----

Oh and the prices paid for those mailorder 1.2 and 1.666 are outrageous. Never seen them go that high and the boxes where not even mint, not even the invoice is included. I have no idea why anyone would want to pay that much. And remember that it takes two persons to drive a price up like that...

Christ.

Honestly, call me an unimpassioned and/or ignorant Doom fan, but i don't see or understand the real need in possessing more than one copy of one game (despite the variation in versions). To collect doesn't really mean to obtain just about every copy available, to have one of each in a series is enough to call it complete in my opinion, otherwise it's a little selfish don't you think? Honestly i would be completely satisfied with just one copy of mail order, or in fact any Doom release.

Maybe i'm just not hardcore or whatever.

The mail order is the one release i just don't have, and have not been able to obtain due to the ridiculous ebay auctions at present.

Anyway, that's a rather impressive (if not over the top) collection there omega.

Well I just really like collecting all the different versions out there. And I'm really into the details too. So if something pops up slightly different from what I have, then I try to get it. Also if a copy in really good condition crosses my path then I'll go for it. Other than that I really don't buy every Doom copy I find. If that where the case then I would have had about 50 copies or so. We just have a different definition of a complete collection I think. In my opinion it has nothing to do with selfishness. Everybody has a chance to buy a certain game. And I'm not rich, I'm still a student. My priorities are just different from most people.

Here is another mail order copy from the UK. Maybe you get lucky:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110602284183

Anyway, the point was that there is *******ely an official CD mail order release of Doom. Just not many people know this.

Well, as shown, it's all down to how we define a collection. I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you do, by all means obtain what you like, but it's more or less by how i personally perceive the desire to have things in multiples rather than stand alone. I also wouldn't want you to take offence to it by any means, it's still an impressive collection at the end of the day.

Thanks for the link. Although i have been watching the item for around a week now, i sadly cannot afford it. I'm pretty sure star_wars_fan_77 has got his eyes on it, laughing at the sight of the auction, knowing he'll win because he's a rich bastard who will bid any stupid amount, while he sits there in his chair made of out mail order doom boxes, setting fire to his Canadian bills and smoking them with his monocle and top hat.

Six said:

I'm pretty sure star_wars_fan_77 has got his eyes on it, laughing at the sight of the auction, knowing he'll win because he's a rich bastard who will bid any stupid amount, while he sits there in his chair made of out mail order doom boxes, setting fire to his Canadian bills and smoking them with his monocle and top hat.

Hehe made me smile :) I don't know if he will be bidding on that Doom but I'm afraid they don't get much cheaper than this auction. You have to be lucky and find one nobody else has found yet to go below that price. I also noticed that in the last half year the demand for the mail order has increased significantly.

Oh don't get me wrong, 40 odd quid isn't too bad as a starting bid. In fact, i'd go beyond £100 to get hold of the mail order, it's just that with bills to pay, food to buy, and all the christmas presents this month, i'm zapped for spare cash on luxuries. I can only wait until December now, but of course there's no guarantee that there'll be any mail order on auction at that time either.

D:

very nice collection there.
what version is on the cd.
and alas i was too tired and went to bed and was outbid on the manual last week... so still no manual for my copies :P

Are you ever going to sell any of that stuff?

I had a fairly common copy of Doom II on CD almost a decade ago but lost it sometime afterwards.

omega_supreme said:

The only version more rare is the 5.25" disk one.

I have a set of seven 5.25" disks from The Software Labs - a long defunct shareware distributor. The way they're numbered suggests that it's "Knee Deep in The Dead" on 360k disks, though until I lay my hands on a functioning drive I've no way of confirming that.

They're one of my eBay finds, have no idea how they were originally packaged - here's a picture.

(900x830 - 249k)

Could I get some help restoring my ultimate doom floppy disks?

I need the original boot sector, file dates and MD-5 checksum of unmodified disks.

Make some uncompressed floppy disk images and get a hex editor.

boot sector

start-offset:
end-offset:
000001FF
length:
000001EF

Select block, copy and go to new then paste and save as disk1boot.bin

I don't know if all 5 disks boot sectors are different.

file dates

disk1

start-offset:
end-offset:
0000269F
length:
000000A0

disk2-5

start-offset:
end-offset:
0000263F
length:

Select block, copy and go to new then paste and save as fd1.bin

Send PM if you can help.

Also I've only been able to find doom 2 ver 1.7 on floppy disk; why is that?