Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

So who's good at imitating the old style?

I was wondering if anyone on here has a really good touch on old-school mapping. Much like the maps in The Master Levels or Final Doom. I myself have a preference for that sort of style, it makes me feel like I'm playing the original Doom series again. Not sure if anyone here shares that same taste, but I was curious if anyone here had that sort of mapping style down.

I certainly do not. I`ve been trying to make some less detailed maps lately (not as old school as The Master Levels and stuff though), but I "just have to" add some detail and stuff here and there.

I think I`ll try to make a few old school maps soon, just need to finish another map I`ve planned first.

There's more old wads than there are new ones. Have you played them all already? I could recommend some good old style wads that are actually old.

I succeeded and failed with Lost Episode. Depends on who you ask.

(Note: it is for Doom 1. It's in the wrong folder.)

Also, The Beginning of the End may be an old old-style wad, but it's crazy good and mentioning it is valid because the author is still around. ;)

I also love the classic feel of old schoolish levels... Alot!

For a nice small obscure set of levels with that old school detailing you must check out a wad called "Flay the Obscene", it satisfies my need for "low detail" while still looking great! But this level set is a tough fucker to get through. heheh

http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11721

And you should also try out a wad called Remain 1 - Chapter 1, also looks really great with very little detail. It's a rework of the first 11 levels of DooM 2, but with a lot of imagination put in to give the levels their own atmosphere and layouts while paying tribute to DooM 2.

http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15094

I probably should have been more specific on my first post.

I'm asking specifically if anyone on these boards has a feel for these sort of maps. I'm not looking for WADs to play but authors to work with. I'm recruiting members for a megawad project I've started, and it's not going to be a community project because I don't want it to end up being one map per author. I'm looking for people who are willing to commit themselves into making several maps for the project; much like The Master Levels. Only the best maps will make the project, and even I won't accept all my maps.

well, then that depends on whether or not you have any work to show toward this project of yours. jumping on this forum asking for mappers to throw themselves at your project usually won't work.
to answer your question: of course there are people who post here who are very good at mapping in the old-school style.

Of course I'm entirely aware of that, anyone interested in mapping I will send a 6-7 level WAD of what I've done so far for perspective and insight. And for anyone mapping it will be just as much their megawad as it is mine, even if it's just one person.

I appreciate the link, but I'm not directly making a megawad in the style of anything previously created. Think of this like Memento Mori or Requiem, where the mappers made something completely new and it still felt like something that could have been found in the original Doom series (Whether it's Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, etc.)

All right, if you need some specifics to my strict mapping for this project:

-Must be vanilla compatible
-Don't worry so much about detail; the main point of this megawad is to maintain an old-school feel for Doom II levels whilst having something new to offer. Detail-wise, the minimum should be at least as good as the Master Levels For Doom II.
-ALL doors must be originally designed (smaller doors can be an exception)
-ALL titles for stages must have some originality to it either artistically or in it's relation to the map.
-Completely artistic vision
-Each map must be original in it's own way (gameplay, progression, etc.) No "Inmost Dens III" or anything.
-If possible, make the map beautiful in both from the designer's viewpoint and during gameplay.
-FREEDOM to explore the level, multiple paths and exits (optional)
-Secrets are your friends! (Especially when inter-connecting in clever ways)

Of course it's all right to be influenced/inspired by levels previously created, just don't make it too evident. Much like most of Plutonia was inspired from Doom 2, though they managed well to make brand new levels. If this doesn't really turn into something I'll probably make this into something else.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this was originally a 3-level WAD replacing the last three levels of Doom II. Now this megawad project is titled, "Reverie" since originally it was based on a dream.

You really need to post screenies of your work if you expect anyone to sign up for this.

Well here's a load of screens; you can see some examples of those original doors I mentioned earlier:

I might even post a short video at some point, showing how some of the gameplay is.

Well if he means 'classic' by a map that looks like something from Doom to Final Doom, it is ok.

Nice shots BTW.

Those doors are freakin weird man. Why don't you just use door textures like a normal person? Other than that I like it.

40oz said:

Those doors are freakin weird man. Why don't you just use door textures like a normal person? Other than that I like it.

Normal? Who wants to be normal? I thought it would be interesting to have a different approach to draw interest. I'll be honest I was inspired from MAP29 of Icarus to make those kind of doors (hence the use of metal textures). I did, however, make some custom door textures if you'd like to see them.

I just threw this together to show off this texture, so this isn't a real map.

valkiriforce said:

Normal? Who wants to be normal?

Don't bother. In this philosophically plateaued day in age, there's nothing more conventional than striving for unconventionality. The only true means of achieving abnormality is to fail in pursuit of its opposite; by finding yourself in possession of a quality that you did not wish to possess.

Oh the doors? I like them. Hell, I like your style in general looking at the screenshots. Wouldn't call it out right classic in the "normal"(!) sense of the word though.

The doors look fucking insane. You should make them open by themselves with a WR line tho, so that retards don't get confused.

Those doors look awesome, and I really like those screens! I really like this idea, but I'm Knee Deep in other crap at the moment. heh.

I personally think this does look classic, in the Momento Mori, Requiem sense, just with it's own style.

Xaser said:

I succeeded and failed with Lost Episode. Depends on who you ask.

(Note: it is for Doom 1. It's in the wrong folder.)

Also, The Beginning of the End may be an old old-style wad, but it's crazy good and mentioning it is valid because the author is still around. ;)

Thanks for the shout-out Xaser!

And you totally succeeded with LE, most assuredly.

NT