Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Seemingly out of control internet problems?

Yes, another tech help thread, as I am in a dire situation this is a last resort. I have a tried on my ISPs forums and such to no go. ("Restart your router, pc, did it work? Your fucked.") Anyways, I recently purchased a 5 MBPs package, with unlimited transfers, but heres the catch. My speed will never go higher then 300kbps, which is less then a fraction of what I'm paying for.

I have checked the filters, land line, configured my router, swapped cables, fiddled wtih firewalls and still to no avail. I had the same problem with my old ISP, but thought it was just the ISPs end and the switch would change that.

Any tips would be appreciated.

You don't have QoS enabled on your router do you? Spent several hours with tech support about speed issues until I noticed that one. D'oh.

If you're running a wireless network - see if there's a speed difference between wired and wireless connections. If there is, you might need new/faster wireless cards. That's a problem I encountered with my old 11Mbit Belkin cards, where the speed dropped off alarmingly as distance to the router increased.
Two common external problems that'll slow you down are distance to the exchange, which attenuates the signal (you can't do much about that apart from moving) and line noise, which interferes with the signal - in either situation the DSLAM with switch to a lower speed in order to minimise errors.

Unfortunatley, this problem persists on wired connections as well.

Planky said:

You don't have QoS enabled on your router do you? Spent several hours with tech support about speed issues until I noticed that one. D'oh.

Hmm, it is enabled, ill flip it off and give it a go.

EDIT: Disabling it caused a decrease in my speed. Hmm. Dropped 250 to 150 kbps.

If your router has a Line Status page - what's it reporting for downstream line rate, noise margin and attenuation?

GreyGhost said:

If your router has a Line Status page - what's it reporting for downstream line rate, noise margin and attenuation?

All I can see on the status page is the packet information.

I have a Dlink DIR-615 if it helps.

I would call the ISP and ask them to check the lines. On several occasions we have had to prod the cable company here into correcting cable or network issues. In my dad's old condo we our ADSL connection didn't work at all until they sent a couple of techs to re-wire all the phone cables and jacks. The guys at on the phone can usually test the connection very effectively from their end. Then they will have you try a pile of things to make sure you're not stupid. Then if they are a half-way ok company they might get around to fixing it.

I suppose you could quit the internet for ever...

*crosses fingers*

Aliotroph? said:

I would call the ISP and ask them to check the lines. On several occasions we have had to prod the cable company here into correcting cable or network issues. In my dad's old condo we our ADSL connection didn't work at all until they sent a couple of techs to re-wire all the phone cables and jacks. The guys at on the phone can usually test the connection very effectively from their end. Then they will have you try a pile of things to make sure you're not stupid. Then if they are a half-way ok company they might get around to fixing it.

Agh, that would suck. I dont really have the money to pay to re-wire all my phone ports and hire technicians right now o.o... I'll give em a call in the morning, though. Thanks.

40oz said:

*crosses fingers*

Ha.

Well, our phone company did it for free. They sold us the ADSL service and they had to fix it if they wanted us to keep it. Only took them about two hours too. Those guys were fast.

AveryMaurice said:

I recently purchased a 5 MBPs package, with unlimited transfers, but heres the catch. My speed will never go higher then 300kbps, which is less then a fraction of what I'm paying for.

I have checked the filters, land line, configured my router, swapped cables, fiddled wtih firewalls and still to no avail. I had the same problem with my old ISP, but thought it was just the ISPs end and the switch would change that.

1) I didn't see that you tried a direct connection with a computer; no hubs, switches or routers in the way between your computer and DSL/cable modem. You may want to try that just for reference.

2) Are you sure your numbers are right above? I have 12Mbits/sec down and 2Mbits/sec up; that works out to be about 1.5MBYTES/sec down and 250kBYTES/sec up. Most ISP's quote speed in BITS, yet your web browser and most download tools show speed in BYTES. If your quoted speed above was "300kBytes/sec", then it's a lot closer to your ISP's claim of 5Mbits/sec, including all of the protocol overhead and whatnot.

Thanks,

Brian

I have already tried a direct connection to the modem, even removing filters and splitters to no avail. And yes, I am certain my ISP uses Megabytes rather then Megabits, I have called them and now I am awaiting a call back from tech. Thanks for the input, however.