Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomF4nG4mer

Doom Builder Unable to intialize Direct3D

Today i was gonna try to edit my own made wad for some reasons like Improvements and that,while i were about to open the wad i got this error:

"Unable to initialize the Direct3D video device. Another application may have taken exclusive mode on this video device or the device does not support Direct3D at all."

So basically it happens at every wad that i opens and i really want it to be fixed. Anyone who knows on how to fix it?

He meant for you to post there I think. Which version of Builder?

Try rebooting? Sometimes DB1 gets confused like that.. though I've only ever encountered that error with 3d mode and not upon open.

Also, are you since able to run other d3d applications/games without issue?

Well my version of Doom Builder is 2.1 and maybe i will give it a try to post a thread in Doom Builder Forums and usually i only use Gzdoom to play wads.

Try another direct3d application to see if it is only doom builder that's affected.

DoomF4nG4mer said:

I discovered that my Direct3D acceleration is unavailable maybe that's the reason why doom builder won't open any wads.

You "discovered"? It says so in the error message of your initial post. Anyway, DB2 uses Direct3D for both 2D and 3D, so it needs to be able to use the Direc3D device.

Do you have drivers installed for that card?
Have you ever installed them?
Have you ever run any other Direct3d programs successfully?
When was the last time?
What has changed in the mean-time?

Yes i installed a driver for my Graphic card to update it and i installed it like 2 or 1 week ago i think? and i installed a program named "Unity Web Player" i downloaded it so that i can have access to play a game on the Internet and it worked perfectly and everything wasn't wrong.I installed that Player a month ago and i suspected that it was the Player so i Uninstalled it but still it didn't cure the problem :(

I have had it enough with getting this Direct3D error! I have been spending weeks on resolving this typical "Error" and mostly NOTHING helps! I just want the doom builder to be working i am tired of keeping this error in my mind and if you guys are asking that i should maybe go and download a new Doom map editor and honestly no because Doom Builder is the only Map Editor i like.

And to the people who replied me like:Gez,iori,boris and Graf Zahl.
i got an error when running Doom 64 TC and the error was the same from Direct3D so i am sure that other Direct3D applications i download and run will mostly not work.

Okay guys i think i know what seems to be the cause of this problem,Since Doom Builder says that Direct3D acceleration needs to be enabled to make it work and still DxDiag won't say that my Direct3D is available (even due i have installed the latest DirectX and updated my Drivers) because i used a Free Registry Cleaner and i didn't notice that it also messed up my Direct3D Key folder.So now are there anyone having a Working Solution to this problem? I can system restore the computer to the day it was created but it will maybe be to complicated.

P.S The Registry Cleaner is AML Free Registry Cleaner.

You could try reinstalling DirectX if you think that is the problem.

Hmmm, perhaps you could run dxdiag and click the Save All Information button and upload the text file it generates to speedyshare or something and post a link to it.

4mer said:

You could try reinstalling DirectX if you think that is the problem.

Hmmm, perhaps you could run dxdiag and click the Save All Information button and upload the text file it generates to speedyshare or something and post a link to it.

WOO HOO Guys my Direct3D acceleration is working! i can now use Doom Builder 2 now! I just went into my ATI folder and just found this setup and i Clicked it and i think it already installed something that made dxdiag detect Direct3D